October 2015 Reviews London

Reviews of the show
patc
Mrs Wilkinson

October 2015 Reviews London

Post by patc »

Thursday 1st October – all day

We sent our rookie entertainment reporter to London yesterday to watch the matinee of Billy Elliot the Musical now in its eleventh year. He liked it so much that he stayed on to see the evening show and missed his flight home. However, he has faxed us his review below.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Aficionados of cream crackers know that sinking feeling as a brand new packet is being opened. The sterling efforts made to prevent the uppermost crackers from crumbling are rewarded only to discover that the crackers in this particular package are not the crispy brown expected but are almost anaemic. No amount of the most expensive butter or the finest cheese can make up for that. Next time around you go through the same. There is no guarantee of crispness or consistent top quality. Lucky for fans of Billy Elliot The Musical the same rules do not apply and they got two crispy crackers of shows yesterday.

No question that the success of this show depends entirely on its young title role cast being able to deliver so strongly. On this occasion we watched almost in disbelief as first, Ollie Jochim, at the matinee and, later, Nat Sweeney absolutely swamped their audiences with a deluge of relentless, entertaining and gut-wrenching scenes one after the other using their individual talents all brought to delectable levels by expert training plus hundreds of hours of hard work and determination. With powerful dancing required alongside acting and singing there is no doubt that this is the most demanding role ever created for the stage and both Ollie and Nat took it in their stride. I’m sure both of them slept very well last night. As they took their bows in front of the masses I wondered what they were thinking. The words of Van the Man spring to mind, “When no one steps on my dreams there'll be days like this”. I know what I was thinking. What goes on here is the most rewarding live entertainment ever.

Inevitably, the youngsters stole the shows. Tomi Fry and Nathan Jones, (as Billy’s best friend, Michael) gave us hints of what was to come during the early boxing scene with the perfectly cast Howard Crossley as George the boxing coach and then sparkled and crackled in two “Expressing Yourselves” that lit up the theatre with light and laughter. The dropping of the glitter and entry of the magical oversized dresses was the perfect complement to an exotic and sustained dancing sequence containing some great tap all accompanied by smiles that said, like the Beach Boys sang all those years ago, “Fun, Fun, Fun”. The same two boys were required to display a different set of skills in a most touching and tender scene after interval but they were back to their tricks again in a quite hilarious sequence involving a tutu. Funnily enough, you might have thought that Billy himself would be the last person remaining on the stage at the end but no. It was Michael who was tasked with bringing the show to a conclusion. I won’t reveal the ending here but will just say that the manner in which they did so means you will need a tissue or two as the curtain comes down.

Hollie Jayne Creighton and Beatrice Bartley played the role of Debbie, who is a reluctant member of her Mum’s (Mrs. Wilkinson) Ballet School class and whose main purpose in the show is to mischief make wherever possible whilst hoping that Billy will take to her. She’s out of luck in that respect as Billy has “never really thought about it” as he is more concerned with his single-minded ambition of becoming a Ballet Dancer. Both girls are very new to the show but you’d never suspect. Once again the training coupled with their own talents has produced the desired result. Probably none of us would be happy that our daughters would carry on like this in real life but the audiences thought it was great fun as both girls gave it their all. Speaking of ballet the Bedlington Ballet Girls who form Mrs W’s class were quite stunningly good. In the early part of the show they weave all kinds dancing and leaping patterns across the stage and generally set out to upset Billy but they eventually recognise him for what he is and fully support him. During the show they have to do some bad ballet (not easy by any means) and good ballet and they did it exceedingly well. Towards the end they also appear as part of the silent mournful families watching their defeated Miner fathers and brothers as they are obliged to go back down the mines. There are powerful images involved in this hairs-on-the-back-of-the-neck scene during which a quite extraordinary song of hope is sung. The beautiful harmonies in this song would rival those of the Welsh choir community.

There were even more youngsters. The show opens with a Small Boy climbing up on stage. I suspect that some audience members may have at first thought that this was some wayward child escaping from an inattentive parent but he is there to provide the Ahh!!! Factor which George Norris and Arran Fraser Glen did so in fine style. I particularly enjoyed their involvement in the Boxing scene that even now still brings a smile to my face. Finally, there is a Tall Boy who also appears in that Boxing scene but his big moment comes much later on as a Posh Boy at the Royal Ballet School audition in London where he tries to empathise with Billy but gets a head banging instead. Logan Shearer (couldn’t find out if he was related to Alan) acted this out so very realistically that brought more than a gasp or two in both shows.

The adult cast and Ensemble must have gone through a pretty strong casting session because each and everyone looked as if they were headhunted for their parts. Ruthie Henshall’s Mrs Wilkinson and Deka Walmsley’s Jackie Elliot were played straight from the heart with so much passion. Gillian Elisa as Billy’s Grandma was much loved by the audience from the off and Chris Grahamson as Billy’s older brother, Tony, had quite a balancing act to perform from being an angry young man to wanting the best for his kid brother and he pulled it off magnificently. I’ve already mentioned Howard Crossley as the perfect George. Phil Snowden, who has appeared in a litany of West End shows, was hilarious as Mrs W’s pianoman, Mr. Braithwaite, and showed a fine turn of foot off the stage in a riot scene not to mention a quite exhausting dancing and skipping routine shortly before that entitled "Born to Boogie". Graciously and ghostly flitting in and out of Billy’s life, Claudia Bradley, was eloquently beautiful as Dead Mum.

One scene in particular stood out as probably the most graceful ever seen on any stage anywhere. An amazing and thrilling dancing and flying act led by James Butcher as Billys Older Self all performed to music from Swan Lake.

The music is a huge part of this show but in an entirely different manner than is usual. No fancy dan stuff here. The gentle songs, the powerful songs, the beautiful songs that decorate this extraordinary piece of theatre are graced with important meaningful lyrics accompanied by oft-delicate, heartrending and pounding arrangements where required. Both shows were directed by masterful Maestro Mark Collins.

I could write a hundred more pages about the show but the editor would most likely wield his axe. [not in this case: Ed]. Afterwards I’d love to have shaken the hands of everyone connected with this production.

At the end of the day I was left absolutely enthralled by the inspirational magnificence of what I had the good fortune to see not once but twice. The great news is that it is coming to Dublin’s Bord Gais Energy Theatre in Summer next year. I’ll be seeing it again there and so should everyone. You’d be crackers if you don’t.

Pat
Barry Appleby
George

Re: October 2015 Reviews London

Post by Barry Appleby »

Big thanks another great review, by any chance, was this guy from the “ Dublin Arts Weekly” sitting in row C in the matinee wearing a Sheffield Wednesday blue and white shirt, owling!! at the punch lines, Mmmm! Well thanks for rubbing it in, as some of us couldn't stay, we had to get off home, but first I went and taught my dog to play the trumpet on the London Underground, we went from Barking to Tooting in about an hour.
Joking apart please everyone, keep your reviews coming in they are great to read, also nice to hear Fishcake, that they are appreciated.
KeefyM
Michael

Post by KeefyM »

"We went from Barking to Tooting in about an hour" - love it, another great Barry joke and another cracking review Pat - in fact, it's made me want to go and eat a packet of crackers - but obviously not all at once ;)

Keep the reviews coming folks! and Pat and Barry don't you be walking into Specsavers thinking its Nandos ;) :D
patc
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by patc »

KeefyM wrote: Pat and Barry don't you be walking into Specsavers thinking its Nandos ;) :D
ROFL, keefy, some people never forget :D. Actually, as I recall it, it was all Barry's fault. Just as we were all about to pass Specsavers he said that he could hardly believe his eyes at what we had just seen at the VPT. The brain interpreted that as a request to divert to Specsavers and the rest is history :oops: .

Brilliant joke, Barry.......and the Wednesday shirts have been hanging lonely in a dark wardrobe since 2000 :(.

Pat
jmh2014
Tall Boy

Post by jmh2014 »

Saturday October 3rd

There may have been some doom and gloom across the country as England crashed out of the Rugby World Cup, but the 2500+ people in attendance at the VPT must surely have left in awe at the spectacle that they had witnessed.

At the matinee, Thomas enhanced his ever growing reputation with another towering performance as Billy. He has such an expressive face and never fails to bring you right into the heart of Billy’s plight. Dream Ballet was one highlight with the smile never leaving his face. Unsurprisingly, Electricity was the standout routine. The somersaults at the end are back and his winning smile left no one in any doubt as to how much he enjoyed the ovation he received.

New Michael, Bradley was on hand to add much comedy to proceedings. His sparring with George is hilarious. He also has a unique way with Sindy.

Connie as Debbie always adds just the right amount of attitude. Her acting is so natural and I don’t think many people would want to be on the end of one of her glares.

Special mention to Joshua, who plays Tall Boy with more enthusiasm than I’ve witnessed before.

The ballet girls were outstanding as is the norm and deserve massive plaudits for their performance, as do the entire adult cast and ensemble.

Ollie and Tomi took over for the evening and you know with these two seasoned performers you are in for a treat. Tomi’s “campness” seemed to reach new heights during the beginning of Express. Despite his obvious talent for comedy, his emotional scenes were played to perfection and his look during final scene would melt even the hardest of souls.

Hollie was suitably impressive and looks to have the all the makings of a fine Debbie.

Ollie’s performance as Billy was yet again stunning. He seems to have embraced the role of senior Billy and used the responsibility to push himself to new heights. His is a portrayal I will never tire of.
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

jmh2014 wrote:There may have been some doom and gloom across the country as England crashed out of the Rugby World Cup, but the 2500+ people in attendance at the VPT must surely have left in awe at the spectacle that they had witnessed.
They must have been standing in the aisles for that show as the capacity of the VPT is 1550 seats :o
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

But patc saw two shows on Thursday, so that explains the number.
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
patc
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by patc »

ERinVA wrote:But patc saw two shows on Thursday, so that explains the number.
It was actually jmh2014 who saw both Saturday shows that the 2500+ over both shows attended. In any event, the VPT official capacity excludes the 1,000 who, like me, would willingly watch the show whilst suspended from the ceiling on ropes :D . Thanks for your review jmh2014. Good to see you enjoying the Saturday double which I have no doubt is equally as good as the Thursday double and was the perfect antidote for the rugby :D. I'll probably be needing the same antidote in a couple of week's time :D .

Pat
jmh2014
Tall Boy

Post by jmh2014 »

patc wrote:
ERinVA wrote:But patc saw two shows on Thursday, so that explains the number.
It was actually jmh2014 who saw both Saturday shows that the 2500+ over both shows attended. In any event, the VPT official capacity excludes the 1,000 who, like me, would willingly watch the show whilst suspended from the ceiling on ropes :D . Thanks for your review jmh2014. Good to see you enjoying the Saturday double which I have no doubt is equally as good as the Thursday double and was the perfect antidote for the rugby :D. I'll probably be needing the same antidote in a couple of week's time :D .

Pat
Yes the 2500+ was over both shows. Another great original review of Thursday.
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

Two brilliant reviews, Pat and jmh2014 - and one terrible joke, Barry :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks everybody for these.

Keep 'em coming folks.
Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.

Return to “Reviews - London”