May 2014 Reviews

Reviews of the show
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: May 2014 Reviews

Post by ERinVA »

When you say "Yecca," are you referring to Matteo, whose last name is actually Zecca?
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
CJ-Rochester
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by CJ-Rochester »

Thanks for that outstanding and poetic review, Colin. In many ways you spoke for all of us fans who made the journey to London this past week. Sorry to hear about your miserable trip home. May we all meet again for the 10th anniversary. :D
--Chris
:/
CJ-Rochester
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by CJ-Rochester »

So happy to hear Matteo had a great second half. After seeing his Act I there could be no doubt.

Can someone who was there tell us how this came about? Surely the company didn't intentionally switch the boys just to try to balance things out. Did Mitchell take ill, and was there an announcement at the break?
:/
dancingboy
Billy

Post by dancingboy »

CJ-Rochester wrote:So happy to hear Matteo had a great second half. After seeing his Act I there could be no doubt.

Can someone who was there tell us how this came about? Surely the company didn't intentionally switch the boys just to try to balance things out. Did Mitchell take ill, and was there an announcement at the break?

I believe the announcement made at the interval was that ''due to circumstances beyond our control, Mitchell was to be replaced by Matteo''. This could mean that Mitchell was not allowed to do a full show because of Child Performance Laws.
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

joninfinity wrote:I predict, as he settles in he may well become one of the greats.
There is no "may well become" to it. I have never seen a Billy that was not a great Billy. Each one has his own unique strengths, and each is great in his own right.
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

ERinVA wrote:
I have never seen a Billy that was not a great Billy. Each one has his own unique strengths, and each is great in his own right.
I agree entirely. They are all the same, and they are all different. But they are all brilliant!
FM-Switzerland
Tall Boy

Post by FM-Switzerland »

Thanks, Jon.
Was great to meet you for both shows on Saturday and having nice talks!
You certainly will see Elliott before flying back home again!
Enjoy and best regards.
missedcalling
Audience Member

Post by missedcalling »

There are many elements that go into making a good show. It's not just the individual performances, but also things like lighting, audio, and fully functioning props.
Don't forget the VPT itself!
I personally loved the theater the first time I set foot (first impressions and all). You can just feel the history brimming.
So jealous you guys have such a magnificent stately theater - don't take it for granted :)
-paul
angelenroute
Billy

Post by angelenroute »

Last night, I dreamed I was at a performance of Billy Elliot at the mother church in London. It's not the first time I've had such a dream, but this one was a little weirder than the others.

At the start, I was with various family members who'd never seen the show. I was excited and happy, but nervous too in that direct-the-show kind of way we sometimes get with newbies, when we're pulling for every actor as if it's ultra important they give an Olivier/Tony Award winning performance at this performance. So of course, things started going haywire quickly. :D

The theatre itself quickly transformed to just a large open (though still indoor) space, with less seats and more performance areas around the stalls/orchestra section. Then dad was played by an African-American actor, which I personally thought was cool, but worried it wouldn't make sense to the audience. A scene later, George was now Billy's dad, as someone realized the audience just didn't want the other actor as Dad. Poor guy was dropped so quickly!

The next thing I remember, I was walking around London, maybe at the interval/intermission, and must have gotten back to the theatre late, and the show was now also being filmed/taking place outside on the streets, and the actors were doing their number as they moved back into the theatre. I had to wait as they went back in, and then by the time I went in, the lights were already dimmed.

I tried moving to my seat, but some woman grabbed hold of my arm tightly, and wouldn't let go. She didn't speak or let me know in any way facially why she was doing this, just seemed intent on keeping me from going forward. I finally broke free, and made my way to the stage, but had to step over some person laying across the floor. Once I got to my seat, I realized it was Billy I'd stepped over, and he was in some scene where he's fast asleep (pre-Angry Dance?).

I don't remember anything else at the moment. Anyway, that's my fake May review of a real May dream. As you were! :D

Sean
BH-London
Audience Member

Post by BH-London »

Thursday 22nd May Matinee
Billy: Matteo Zecca
Michael: Tomi Fry
Debbie: Dayna Dixon
Grandma: Gillian Elisa
Small Boy: Zak Baker (First Half) Liam Sargeant (Second Half)
Tall Boy: Casper Meurisse
Ballet Group: Dunbar

This was my first time seeing Zak&Liam as "Small Boy" and Matteo and Tomi as Billy and Michael, and if I wasn't a fan I wouldn't of been able to tell it was Tomi's 3rd Show and Matteo's 3rd full show (start to Finish). It was very unexpected to see Zak as "Small Boy" it was very funny because during "Take Me Up" Small Boy was taller then Billy and when Matteo was standing on the chair, holding Zak's sweet and Zak could reach the sweet so that was very funny. Zak stood next to Big Davey in "The Stars Look Down" because he couldn't be put onto his shoulders. Before "Shine" when "Billy" kicks the keys into his hands he dropped the keys as the Ballet Girls ran on stage, he then bent down and removed one boxing glove to pick up the keys. Dayna never fails to make me laugh she is a great Debbie, at first i thought it was Kyria until i saw the cast board at the interval.

David Muscat is an amazing Mr Braithwaite, the fart he did in "Born to boogie" To which he waved his book to send the smell to Billy and Miss Wilkinson. Also whe he comes out of the door when dad goes off stage and he "Jumps" when he see's a ballet girl on the other side of the door.

An AMAZING "Expressing Yourself" from Tomi and Matteo by far one of the fumiest shows i have watched. Tomi holds the word "Man" for at least 15 seconds before he starts to sing the rest of the song. Tomi's hair band fell over his eyes it then fell off onto the floor.

I thought the new "Tony" was good, he was quite at some parts but he made certain scenes funny.
Phil Snowden was Audio Technician this afternoon, i felt he could of put a bit more of life into the role.
I was very impressed with the new "Posh Dad" who made the scene with dad even funnier. And clipboard Lady was Wendy Somerville who was also very funny.
Once we reached "Once We Were Kings" i was disappointed, it was a the most lifeless performance of the song i have ever seen, this could be because of 2 show day not to mention "West End Eurovision" after and UK elections today.
Non the less it was another Excellent day at VP and i can't wait to do it again! :D :mrgreen:
-Brandon

Billy's: Redmand(x2), Mitchell(x5), Elliott(x2), Matteo(x1), Bradley(x2)
Michael's: Zak(x2), Zach(x3), Freddie(x3), Tomi(x4)
Debbie's: Demi(x2), Dayna(x3),Mille(x3),Kyria(x4)

Return to “Reviews - London”