patc
Mrs Wilkinson

July 2014 Reviews - London

Post by patc »

Thursday 3rd July - all day

Matinee: Mitchell/Zach A/Dayna
Evening: Elliott/Zak B/Kyria

Dad: David Bardsley

Just got home today so just a flashback to Thursday.
Following three single show trips it was a pleasure to be present for a double dose of ecstatic theatre led by Mitchell Tobin and Elliott Hanna, respectively. It was baking in London all day but the oppressive heat did not get in the way of these two amazingly talented Billys who acted, sang and danced their hearts out with 100% dedication to the cause.

This was the very best in entertainment and both boys were backed by a cast that is so much on fire that London could have burned down twice on the same day.

Zach Atkinson and Zak Baker were both masterclass Michaels.

Dayna and Kyria brrrrrilliant Debbies, Ballet Girls fully on song, Caspar great as Tall Boy with two absolute curtain-corkers as Posh Boy not to mention Lewis and Liam as the Small Boys who (almost) stole the Boxing scenes and that takes some doing.

Two opportunities to see the great and everlasting David Bardsley in action as Dad were most welcome.

Chris Grahamson turned in two stunning Tony performances and Ruthie Henshall likewise as Mrs. W. The one thing we never get at Billy is clones and we should be eternally thankful for that. The pre-Angry Dance kitchen scene between Ruthie and Chris was MAGNIFICENTLY done. Ruthie’s “nervous - shaky-voiced - anticipating ridicule from all these men” method of announcing Billy’s Newcastle ballet audition is terrific.

The Finale, the standing ovations, the atmosphere and buzz of the audience leaving the theatre are all part and parcel of the enjoyment of every visit to the VPT. It was as tangible as ever at 10.30pm on Thursday. Then there is always the looking back on the day’s events as you head for your bus or train or whatever. Mitchell and Elliott gave us so much to look back on, in particular their Angry Dances and Electricity’s were right out of the top drawer. Damn the absence of that action replay machine.

Pat
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: July 2014 Reviews - London

Post by porschesrule »

Hello Samz22. Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts. Everyone's input is always welcome. It doesn't have to be elegant or very detailed. I especially enjoyed hearing your comments as a first timer.

Welcome to the Forum. I hope you'll enjoy yourself here and will post from time to time. The more input from everyone, the better the Forum. Look around, there's a ton of information here. I believe you are absolutely right that you'll always remember your first time seeing the show and your first Billy, but as the "regulars" have proven, there's always something new and the show is always enjoyable no matter which of the Billys and other alternate cast members you see.
angelenroute
Billy

Post by angelenroute »

Welcome, Samz22! And thank you for adding a review, which captures your appreciation for the magnificence of the show very well...so, well done! :D

Sean

"Good writers define reality; bad ones merely restate it." -Edward Albee
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

Welcome Samz22. So glad you enjoyed the show, and glad you found the forum. :D
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
patc
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by patc »

Thursday Matinee 10th July

Elliott/Tomi/Kyria

Grandma: Gillian Elisa
Older Billy: Lee Hoy

Victoria United took the field this afternoon in determined mood. Each player had his/her game plan and they carried it out to the Letter. It required a lot of blood, sweat and tears but with plenty of strikers around it was inevitable that a goal would be achieved and, in the process, the entertainment value far exceeded that going on currently in South America.

You could say it was a game of two halves but it was never messy. In the first half the star player, Billy (aka, Elliott Hanna) showed quite remarkable talent and skill but was constantly fouled and there ought to have been a red card or two for some of those trying to take the shine off his game. However, he showed what he could do in magnificent style and kept his cool. That is, until the referee, Dad (aka Deka Walmsley) behaved like a Schwein(steiger) and awarded the severe penalty of banishment. Basically, he ruled Billy offside, Billy didn’t like this one bit and named him as Bastian before rushing off the field. Billy’s defence, in the shape of Mrs. Wilkinson (aka, Ruthie Henshall) tried hard on his behalf but nobody would listen.

Ah, but Billys are made of much sterner stuff and don’t usually lie down like a Lahm. They have Gotze. Elliott wasn’t going to try Robben the world of his talent by diving out and feigning injury. He snuck back on the field in secret and proceeded to enhance his game even further by sheer dint of hard work and dedication.

But before doing this he went to see his best pal, Michael (aka, Tomi Fry). Schurrle he could help. Now, Michael is one of those friends who can cheer up any place not just with satin and lace or Mascherano but with a big mischievous smile, brilliant tap dancing and a monstrous sense of humour to boot. He was great Kompany for Billy. It wasn’t long before the pair of them were cavorting around the pitch from corner to corner and, very soon, defence had been turned into attack. The watching crowd came Klose to hysterics watching this evolve. Later on in the second half Tomi, from Wilshere ;), would milk the Nutcracker joke for all it was worth in a manner I have definitely not seen before :D .

As we neared the end of the first half, though, trouble brewed again. Billy encountered a Hazard or two and his defence came into conflict, this time not just with the ref but the ref’s son, Tony (aka, Chris Grahamson) and a verbal confrontation ensued. In effect, Billy was being deprived of playing his natural game. The crowd didn’t like it. They thought it was very Krul. It all ended in chaos with the strikers rushing off the field as the riot squad were called in. During and after all the mayhem, Billy let loose his burgeoning talent with an awesome display of powerful footwork right in front of the blackclad cops and their shields. The crowd loved it. The manner in which Billy walked off as the half time whistle sounded left nobody in doubt that the second half was going to be a thriller.

Whatever was said at half time worked. When the team returned to the pitch the mood was much lighter, if a little sombre for a while as the ref recalled a sad time when a match made in Heaven had been lost. Billy and Michael had another session together that cemented their onfield comradeship. Billy wistfully looked into the future and saw what it could be like if he was allowed to fly his own Kuyt.

Shortly after this another row ensued but not involving Billy. The ref began to have second thoughts on his first half performance. Was that penalty against Billy really a fair decision? Was he just being biased? Heated discussion with Tony eventually brought a resolution. The fourth official would not be required. Billy would be allowed to play his natural game but first he had to show what he could really do. Billy took the bull by the horns. It was as if he was saying to the ref, “Lukaku at me”. Throwing his Hart and soul into it he set off. It was not just a Sterling performance. It was incredible, powerful, electrifying, mesmerising and majestic. The cheers of the crowd egged him on and he struck a beauty from all of fifty yards into the top corner. It was the winner. All hell broke loose. Even the ref joined in.

The entire team, management and support staff deserve the highest praise for this top quality onfield display. De Jong Neuer younger players Tomi, Kyria, Fred and resident Small Boy, Joseph plus those magnificent BG’s all played their brilliant parts in the team effort.

Victoria United were victorious and the Captain had a cracker. It must have Costa fortune to get Elliott down to London from his Merseyside Villa but it doesn’t Mata. He has so much Xavi. He’s worth a million pieces of Silva. Thanks to him for an absolutely stunning Billy performance that left me enthralled, uplifted, oft in tears especially during his stunning Electricity (watched by an emotional Deka who adds so much to the moment) and immensely grateful to have been present to see it.

Pat
Barry Appleby
George

Post by Barry Appleby »

Cheers Pat, for that wonderful topical review, I’m sure that will get some extra bookings!
Its over 7 months since I’ve seen Elliott on stage, so I’m Keane! To see him again.
Dancer
Ballet Girl

Post by Dancer »

Wednesday 9th July

Mitchell/Tomi/Demi

Grandma: Gillian Elisa

A few days late but here goes after being pressurised by a certain Forum member who shall remain nameless!

I was very excited to see this show as it would be the first time I would see Mitchell and Tomi. Well, not exactly the first time for Mitchell as I had a flavour of him when he took over from Matteo on 12th May. I was so impressed then that I couldn’t wait to see him do a full show. And, of course, I had read and heard so many great things about Tomi!

From the moment he was pushed on stage by Dad I was captivated by Mitchell’s performance. Everything you have read about Mitchell in the reviews since he started his run in December last year is absolutely true! But I would like to add some of my own thoughts. I think that Mitchell is quite a serious Billy but he does smile and have fun at the same time! His timing is excellent, his singing especially clear and acting skills second to none. There was no way I would have guessed that Mitchell was American – he had the English accent spot on! Talking of acting, Mitchell’s relationship with Ruthie Henshall as Mrs Wilkinson was astonishing. They sparked wonderfully off each other with facial expressions and tone of voice responses that were truthful and believable. You would never think that the actors had been directed to do this as both performances were so natural.

One thing that I have never heard before from a Billy was a little ditty sung by Mitchell just before The Letter scene. When walking towards the piano before Mrs Wilkinson enters the room you saw and heard him sing something like, “Doodleloodleloo”! I am sure this was not just my imagination!

Talking of The Letter, I couldn’t believe that I would ever see a Billy cry real tears again. Not since the days of Tom Holland had I seen tears flow so freely. Mitchell had to dry his eyes with his shirt before he could continue with Born to Boogie.

I loved Mitchell’s Electricity. The words of the song were beautifully sung and the dance electrifying, if you’ll pardon the expression. No wonder Deka looks on with such awe and amazement as he watches his “son’s” dancing skills right in front of him. There is no playing acting here – Deka is absolutely transfixed and is genuinely moved by what he sees. Mitchell’s dance is mainly ballet but he does throw in a few street moves, notably a couple of aerials. The audience response and applause at the end was heartfelt and Mitchell just stood in his final pose, smiling appreciatively at everyone until the response had died down!

Tomi as Michael is a revelation. It was as if the Directors had given him free rein to really “express himself”. He may have looked “silly” at times and I mean that in the nicest possible way, but Tomi knew it and didn’t care! I loved the operatic tone of his singing and the way he egged on the audience! By the way, Mitchell won the tap shoes competition by a mile!

All the rest of the cast were on top form and the orchestra under Chris Hatt’s direction was superb. The electric guitarist in Angry Dance always has a ball in this scene!

Sadly the show ended all too soon with a fun Finale but I’m sure the enthusiastic audience left the theatre with a mighty spring in their step!
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

Dancer: Whomever the anonymous Forum member is that "pressurized" you to do the above review should be commended for the pressure. It led to an excellent review. Your comments regarding Mitchell's performance are a nice tribute to him as he winds down his time as Billy in London.

Thanks for giving in to the pressure. Well done!
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

Glad you got to see a full show from Mitchell, Dancer.

I think the "doodledo" thing his Billy sings at that point is the theme from "The Twilight Zone." It's an interesting touch.
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

Thanks everybody for the wonderful reviews. They are the next best thing to being there.

A special mention to Pat for the very topical review. It was brilliant.
Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.

Return to “Reviews - London”