Site Admin
Site Admin

October 2014 Reviews - London

Post by ERinVA »

Here we are in October already.
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: October 2014 Reviews - London

Post by porschesrule »

ERinVA wrote:Here we are in October already.
And the leaves have begun to fall from the trees... :cry:
patc
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by patc »

Thursday Matinee 2nd October

Ollie/Tomi/Dayna

To (mis)quote Shakesie, “the show’s the thing”. The razamatazz that goes with last nights and special occasions is always great fun and brings fantastic atmosphere to the theatre but, at the end of the day, there would be nothing without the brilliant show itself and that’s what we got on this sunny day in London. No raza just manna - from Essex.

Ollie is making great progress in his Billy career and his performance this afternoon was absolutely the best I have seen so far from him. To begin with he has such an endearing stage presence and a voice to go with it. At the interval I overheard someone say that they felt like rushing up onto the stage to give him a hug - not recommended but I understand fully. His acting was most impressive especially when the temperature rose in the row with Dad and again prior to Angry Dance but with a nicely gauged gentler approach to his Winter scene with Michael. Both Letters were very emotional (how could they not be with that voice) and, like Billys before him, not pushing the envelope too far in these early days, I was, nevertheless, captivated by his ballet Electricity.

To (mis)quote Shakesie again, Tomi is the “very ecstasy of fun” and had everyone in stitches during his comedic scenes yet, at the final curtain, his pained face and sad demeanour expertly showed that Billy’s words, “See Ya, Michael”, were “like a razor to his wounded heart”.

Magnificent Dayna made life a misery for all concerned as “over those wooden floorboards stomped those blessed feet”. (Poor Shakesie is having a bad time tonight so enough is enough).

I didn’t fully appreciate Once We Were Kings until I paid a visit to Easington seven years ago. Whilst in that hallowed (and very quiet and lonely) place I was able to picture the scene on that fateful day when the miners "went back", with their families standing watching in silence as they readied themselves for the descent. They really and truly had “lost everything”. In the show, if you pan your eyes from left to right across the stage as the miners group together with family on either side, the reality of this situation hits home with an emotional punch accompanied by that powerful song. This is a most poignant scene that always moves me.

The pressure on the cast during the two live shows last weekend must have been very strong and they would have been forgiven if there had been an “easing off” this week but there was no such thing. It was heart and soul stuff as usual with Chris Jenkins (Tony) and Phil Snowden (Mr. B) standing in and doing great jobs in the process.

I felt a sense of relief that Deka didn’t end up on the floor as he did in both filmed shows. I’m guessing that it may have been demanded of him for the live Billy and that’s why he was practising it every now and then in the weeks prior. IMHO, Deka is too important to the show to be out injured for any length of time.

The Ballet Girls put on their usual fabulous display. It is still a mystery to me how they can manage to change into those pink dresses in Shine in such a short period of time (as mentioned by Elliott in the backstage tour). There can’t be a faster change of costume in any other show.

I am indebted to Ollie & Co. for a really great afternoon of mesmerising theatre. It was “a show fit for the gods” (sorry :( , couldn’t resist just one more).

Pat
dancingboy
Billy

Post by dancingboy »

Re Pat's comment about the Ballet Girls, I believe that the time limit for the costume change in Shine is 29 seconds. The girls never fail to deliver.
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

That is some going. Of course they wear the pink costume under their tutu so it is just a case of removing that. I bet it's organised chaos though when it's happening.
Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.
Barry Appleby
George

Post by Barry Appleby »

THURSDAY 9th OCTOBER (Matinee)
Well it was like fish without chips, no Pat for a Thursday matinee, when I walked into the theatre it was ¼ empty, but by Gosh! A good audience by the start, plenty of school parties arrived and plenty of late comers, so a real decent audience for the matinee and what a treat they were in for. We had the Live Performance trio, Ellliott, Zach and of course Demi.
It got off to a great start with the Boxing Scene, the school kids in the audience love it also then into the Shine Scene, Billy being pushed around by those ballet taking revenge, and how Ruthie shows her experience she really has been a great addition to the show.
Elliott was on top form, for the Live Show, but again we saw such an accomplished performance, his Electricity with a few extras added, I'm sure, was just so outstanding!!! even the regulars who normally don't stand up, to spoil the view of others, of the ovation, were taken to their feet, Deka's looks of amazement was so genuine. A great performance from Elliott throughout, he just adds that bit of scamp touch to the part for me, so confident on stage, loved the “don't Go” remark to Mum in in the Letter Scene also.
Zach again was super, the blackout was a little early after Expressing Yourself so he missed his deserved ovation, great antics from him, with the Tutu in the pre Dream Ballet scene, Elliott couldn't keep a straight face, great to watch.
The kids in the audience again were having great laugh for a while, about the acceptance letter “esquire” remark, so they were following the story.
I do like the way Chris as Tony, and I've always liked his performances, explains close up to Billy in a brotherly fashion the situation of the miners returning to work explaining about the jobs looses from village to village.
A “Big Thanks” to all the cast again for all your effort, yes we had Ann on as Grandma for a Thursday matinee.

Barry's corny joke – Last Valentine's Day I planned a romantic surprise for my wife, booked a table for 7-30pm. Unfortunately, when we arrived, she made it quiet clear that she didn't want to play snooker.
patc
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by patc »

Thanks Barry for reviewing Thursday Matinee. By all accounts I missed a stunner. (great joke, too, LOL). On the other hand I managed to get there on Tooze-day (7th) and Fry-dee (10th) for two great shows courtesy of Ollie and Matteo respectively.

Tooze-day’s was my third show in a row that Ollie performed in (and 4 in 5) so I have been able to thoroughly enjoy watching his progress up the Billy ladder these past few weeks. With Todd on as Michael I was witnessing the two latest newcomers to the roles in tandem and, unsurprisingly, they delivered a wonderful show packed with all the ingredients that keep us coming back time and again.

Fry-dee it fell to Matteo and Zach to lead the pack and, in front of a really lively audience they let rip. Matteo, too, has made excellent progress since his May debut and his smile at the end told us that he had greatly enjoyed entertaining us as much as we had enjoyed watching him do it. Long-time Michael, Zach, oozes so much class every time he puts a foot on stage. His tutu scene was made of pure comedic inventiveness that only comes with ability and experience. As for the end scene? He always rips my heart out anyway but it is now getting to the stage that I may have to sue.

Alternate Older Billy, Lee Hoy, performed a superb Dream Ballet on Friday, quite the best I have seen from him. Since the Live show the Swan Lake music has reverted back to normal.

This new line (“xxxx-a-Duck” instead of “for xxxx sake I naw”)) that Billy says to Mrs. W the night before the proposed Newcastle trip is so funny that I’m not sure if Ruthie was laughing (as in reality) or as in acting.

There has been no let up with the cast since that Live show. They are all on fire and it is scene after scene of unrivalled emotional impact and compulsive attention. You can hardly blink. One of the big advantages of the upcoming DVD is that we will hear the up-to-date musical score where every note and arrangement scores.

For regular fans there are always things to watch out for in addition to enjoying the show. What changes will the new Billys/Michaels have for us this week as they make their way. Or, indeed, will the already established boys have something new or different for us.

Will Billy say, “Don’t go” to Dead Mum in The Letter? Ollie didn’t, Matteo did.

Will Deka end up spread on the floor in the Pit scene? Tooze-day he didn’t, Fry-dee he did.

Never a dull second. Miss this show at your peril.

Pat
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

Thanks Barry and Pat for your great reviews. It's good to hear that the cast are still at the top of their game.
patc wrote:This new line (“xxxx-a-Duck” instead of “for xxxx sake I naw”)) that Billy says to Mrs. W the night before the proposed Newcastle trip is so funny that I’m not sure if Ruthie was laughing (as in reality) or as in acting.
I hate the new line :evil: :evil: :evil:
Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.
patc
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by patc »

Billy Whiz wrote:I hate the new line :evil: :evil: :evil:
It's still in there, David, LOL.

Thursday Matinee 16th October

Bradley/Todd/Kyria

Ah well bless my soul, I’m All Shook Up (with apologies to Elvis). I’ve already seen plenty of stunning shows from Bradley but his masterful and brilliantly paced performance at today’s matinee was something else. From the gentleness of the Letter with Dead Mum (anyone who was not affected by this gem of emotion must have a Wooden Heart) to the much-provoked anger (lucky for us his name is not David Banner) his acting and singing was top class and the dancin’ had power, precision and a passion that had so much to admire. From the first riff from the Guitar Man in Angry Dance it was plain we were getting a thriller. Deka going cosmic at the end of Electricity says it all. Bradley’s smiling acknowledgement to the appreciative audience brought rounds of extra applause and cheers. I’m not sure I’ve seen him do that before but I hope he does it again. It’s a special heartwarming moment in the show that audiences love. Talking of smiles, a magnificent Dream Ballet with Barnaby was a smile-fest to remember.

Deka had earlier berated Bradley in front of the girls in the hall and I wanted to shout Don’t Be Cruel but Bradley gave as good as he got in what was a slagging match to beat the band. Love Me Tender this was not. The likelihood of Peace in the Valley was not great at this point. The toilet cubicle at that moment must have felt like Heartbreak Hotel but, never fear, (the magnificent) Ruthie was here. She may have given the impression of being a Hard Headed Woman but Don’t believe it. She knew that Billy was going to be her Good Luck Charm.

New Michael, Todd, chose today’s show to break out the champagne so you can imagine what Expressing was like. Viva Las Vegas! Wop-bop-a-loom-a-boom-bam-boom, Tutti Frutti stuff.

The Winter Scene was most compelling, too. Deciding that it was Now or Never he expressed his feelings to Billy before acting out his great tutu routine that is a must-see. I thought I’d seen it all but, of course, that’s a foolish thought for a BETM fan to have.

As the curtain came down Are You Lonesome Tonight could well have been his signature song.

The role of Debbie does not, of course, require A Big Hunk o’ Love to be on display. More likely to send Mrs. Wilkinson Crying in the Chapel and Kyria knows exactly what is required here.

Ah, the Ballet Girls. The Wonder of You all is that you maintain such a consistently high standard of performance in every show.

David Bardsley gave us his fantastic take on George that I can’t recall seeing for quite some time. His pièce de résistance was the front of curtain (Part 2) followed by a hilarious and purposeful Maggie Thatcher that he used to great advantage to get the audience joining in. Really joining in as a unit. This was MCMT of the year to date. All that was missing was the Blue Suede Shoes.

I always enjoy that scene when the RBS letter arrives. They milk it for all it’s worth. It is well received in the end but, when you think about it, if Billy had had the audition in secret (which was the original idea), Dad and Tony would have marked it Return to Sender. So, Billy’s alarm not going off in time was a blessing (rather than A Devil) in Disguise.

As always the news of the Surrender of the union is heartbreaking. I Feel So Bad just watching its aftermath unfold.

So long as we continue to get such quality of entertainment I Don’t Care If The Sun Don’t Shine and it’s always such a great pleasure to watch the young cast Follow that Dream.

There’s one thing, though, that’s really puzzling me. Why are the Billys now genuflecting just before they turn to walk off stage with the suitcase? Like the new Irish play, Ballyturk at the NT, I don’t get it.

Pat
dancingboy
Billy

Post by dancingboy »

Enjoyed reading that review, Pat. Hopefully when I next see you, YOU will be wearing the Blue Suede shoes and drainpipe trousers.

A couple of points - In the shows that I have seen since BETM Live, only Elliott has genuflected at the Easington flag, but it seems Bradley is now doing this and the 'F*** a Duck' line has not always been said, it has been left as ' For F*** Sake'. Maybe the Billys are given permission to say which line they think suits them/is best.

Return to “Reviews - London”