June 2015 reviews - London

Reviews of the show
cindythenurse
Small Boy

June 2015 reviews - London

Post by cindythenurse »

My first review. My 8th visit to the show.

I was due to see the show Monday and had promised a review. Had to postpone until last night. The bonus, Elliott Hanna was making an appearance as Billy.

My seat in Row H of the stalls is normally a premium seat. I obtained this at half price. Well worth it, great view of the whole stage, faces, feet and it is a totally different show this close up. Usually book Dress Circle, but now converted to stalls in the first two thirds.
Great deals to be had on tickets up to end of June, so hurry while stocks last!!

Elliot as Billy - masterful performance. So glad I caught him in the role. Looks and sounds perfect for the part, so it's strange to think he had officially left! Commanded the stage in each of his scenes. Timing and facial expressions spot on. I was always taught that the art of acting is in reacting and that is certainly true of Elliott. Dancing powerful, graceful and energetic in bucket loads.

Nathan as Michael - Excellent comic timing and facial expressions. Adds his own little touches to his interpretation.

David B was on as Dad and for me personally, I can't take to his performance. Where Deka is effortless and appears so natural, David tends to overplay the part, especially for comic effect. This makes the character rather less believable and can spoil an otherwise 'real' moment.

All the other regulars gave usual great and solid performances. The ensemble close up are even more impressive, working so hard and never slacking.

Lee? as Older Billy. Wouldn't have known if not for the notice. Spot on.

Overall enjoyed this performance more than any before. Due in the main to the excellent seat and a certain someone.

Not as detailed a review as I would like, but time constraints! My next visit - Monday next with a group of friends. Watch this space.

Regards
Cindythenurse
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: June 2015 reviews - London

Post by porschesrule »

Great review, cindythenurse!! Thanks for taking the time to share your impressions.
patc
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by patc »

Thursday Matinee 4th June

Well, that’s five Thursday Matinees in a row that Bradley has been on and on each occasion he has brought the house down and people up on their feet to hail such consummate skills. It’s that time of year when there are lots of groups of youngsters present and they certainly got amazing value for their cash judging by the roars of appreciation which is music to the ears. Inspirational.

Aside from Bradley there were two other standout performances. Nathan burst on to the scene less than three months ago with a unique and extraordinarily mature interpretation of Michael and he did it again this afternoon. There is no previous mould for this – it is so inventive. Vroom-vroom, Swan and dizzyingly swirly leaps, a full-of-beans Expressing, beautifully controlled emotions and facial expressions all contribute but that old saying “the eyes are the mirror of the soul” was never better demonstrated than in the Winter Scene and most especially at the final curtain scene. You’d have had to have been a full blown concrete statue not to have had, at the very least, moist eyes as this heart-rending ending unfolded.

New alternate Grandma, Kerry Washington, (I deeply dislike the term “understudy” and boos to whoever invented it) was an absolute eyeopener. I’m not sure if this was her first performance of the role but I loved every second of it. I was interested to see in her bio that she has played Maggie, one of the five sisters in Brian Friel’s wonderful, thought-provoking and Award-encrusted must-see Irish play, Dancing at Lughnasa. That would have been worth seeing. Kerry is tailor-made for Grandma, that’s for sure.

Craig Armstrong made a rare appearance as Posh Dad and was absolutely hilarious.

Thanks to all the cast new and old and, of course, the music gurus for the most complete package in the world of entertainment.

Pat
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

Thank to cindythenurse and patc for your excellent reviews.

Keep 'em coming :)
cindythenurse wrote: Lee? as Older Billy.
It's Lee Hoy.
Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.
cindythenurse
Small Boy

Post by cindythenurse »

Monday June 8th

Wow! What a performance from Brodie in the title role. Absolutely nailed it. Outstanding delivery of lines both spoken and sung, each as clear as a bell and with perfect timing. Not easy for actors so young to have the experience necessary to anticipate stage noises and the audience reactions that sometimes mean that dialogue can get lost. Not a mumble, whisper or lost line in this exceptional performance. A portrayal full of all the emotions possible, delivered at just the right level. Dancing skills of the highest order and energy. In a word - faultless.

Brodie was ably assisted by Nathan as Michael. Great inventiveness and 'individuality'. There 'expressing' was a real hoot. The shoe change a draw I believe and so quick they were left with time to spare before the 'push'. Brodie managing to stay completely natural when struggling to get his dress over his head at the second attempt and then disentangling the coat hanger from his cardigan! It was wonderful to see such contrasting emotions displayed during the 'winter scene'.

Deka and Chris as Dad and Tony were on top form. So many powerful moments to enjoy, the 'He Could be a Star' scene was played particularly well, Deka floored by the final shove and reduced to real tears during this and his 'folk song'.

The new alternate Grandma was a revelation. Very natural with a strong singing voice.

Ruthie as Mrs W giving it 'welly' as usual. I love the way she has slightly different reactions etc, depending on the particular Billy.

A very enjoyable evening as usual, my friends the first up on there feet and believe me they are just not those sort of people - usually. They are already asking me to book again!

My only gripe - the foreign family in the row behind having a full blown picnic and the mother carrying out a word for word interpretation to her three children. When the children eventually got bored they made it annoyingly obvious. Such a shame that such annoying people spoil it for those around them. Rant over!!

A fantastic performance from all on stage - while the special offers last, I have two more visits planned for next week - cant wait!

Regards
cindythenurse
patc
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by patc »

Thursday 11th June

There’s simply no stopping Billy Elliot. It continues to spread like wildfire around the world as whole populations and generations have been transmogrified by its powerful message and its supremely entertaining method of getting it across. Youtube is packed with excerpts – both legal and illegal – from just about everywhere. And all around the world tonight there are lots of mightily talented boys sound asleep having spent an exhausting day either playing the Title role, rehearsing to soon take over the role or just rehearsing, rehearsing and rehearsing always seeking to improve and better their current offering. We, the audiences are the lucky beneficiaries…..and all because Lee Hall was relaxing in his bath one evening when this incredible story came into his head.

The real live evidence for all of this was there for all to see at the VPT on Thursday. Two memorable shows full of passion, drama, comedy, dancing, music and song all wrapped up in a spellbinding and attractive package that made the Koh-I-Noor diamond look like a glass ashtray.

That said, the show has its own diamonds as typified on this occasion by Ollie Jochim and Brodie Donougher in the title role. Both of them put their entire hearts and souls into their performances and, in the process, stole mine as well. My admiration and gratefulness for their courage, skills and work ethic (that gives us the amazingly consistent end result) knows no bounds.

The supporting players (both new and old) that bring all of Lee’s characters to life in such appealing fashion were all in cracking form.

For the second Thursday running Kerry Washington gave us a delightful Grandma (both shows) and is plainly loving it.

James Butcher has really taken to the role of Billy’s Older Self. In two majestically danced Dream Ballets he showed remarkable upper body strength in sending both Billys to the roof on turbospin.

Michaels, Todd and Tomi and Debbies, Connie and Demi outstandingly crafted their own stage characters with great skill and the crazy wonderful Ballet Girls owned the stage betimes and they were plainly loving it, too.

Of the new young cast it was nice to have an opportunity to see in action for the first time Small Boy George Norris and Tall Boy Joshua Hogan both of whom were splendid and showed no sign of nerves on stage in such a big show.

During the course of the evening Electricity my ears detected what sounded like (possibly) a short vibraphone or similar segment (no, it wasn’t someone’s mobile going off) that I don’t recall hearing before. I’ll have to listen carefully again next week to see if I was imagining it. If you’re not sure what a vibraphone is here’s a youtube link playing the beautiful “Clair de Lune”, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y02VBGoTi9w

Travelling through airports at this time of the year is not such a pleasant experience but, at the end of the day, it’s all so worthwhile. Going out you have the buzzing anticipation of the entertainment to come and coming home you are still under the magic spell of what you have just seen and, after the double extravaganza led yesterday by Ollie and Brodie I don’t even remember going through Gatwick Security. To paraphrase a certain Traditional American Folksong;

It’s the greatest ever musical that this World ever knew
Its stars are bright as diamonds, they sparkle like the dew
You can talk about Wicked or anything else you see
But Billy Elliot the Musical is the only show for me.

Pat
Barry Appleby
George

Post by Barry Appleby »

THURSDAY MATINEE 11th JUNE

Well I thought it as going to be one of those days travelling, a good journey to Doncaster from Costa del Bridlington (although not a del Costa this morning, Saturday), looking up at the destination board my train came up delayed, anyway knowing the staff at Dony, they said it had broken down outside Doncaster, so we all had to catch the next service, anyway I got a good seat and was only 25 minutes late in London, giving me plenty of time, so nowt to complain about.
So pleased to see Ollie again, he works so hard, plays up to his limits, and always looks to enjoy performing, the audiences really take to him, I certainly enjoyed it. The blend in Expressing Yourself with Todd was great to watch. One thing I noticed is that Todd is a nearly as tall as Ollie now. Connie gave her usual sparky performance as Debbie, love the way she smirked at Billy when she turns the light off after Shine.
Well it the first time I've seen Kerry Washington as Grandma, I'm very impressed, I thought she was great throughout, just reminds of one of my nans.
Ruthie, Deka and Chris were on top form as usual. Yesterday on TV the Orgreave riot in the miners strike, was on the news, straight away I thought of Chris with that beaten up face.
Phil Snowden has settled into Mr Braithwaite really well, doesn't he do well in B2B, blimey makes me wince.
Well all I can say to you Billy's don't have to much to eat before Dream Ballet, because, my gosh, doesn't James Butcher give those lads some spin when on the wire, I'm surprised they can stand up after, let alone finish off the routine.
It was the first time I've seen the new members of the Ensemble, great to see you, and thank you, also a big thanks to the Easington Ballet girls, unsung hero's for me.
So after the show it was down to Fish Moonies for tea “Oh no sorry” Nando's, were a certain Irishman was rubbing it in, that he was at the evening performance, instead I would be travelling home, thanks mate! So it would be “hats of for Brodie” for him.
Great journey home, light until 10-15pm, so clear I could see Flamborough Light House flashing around 20 miles away.

Barry's corny joke - My wife thinks I'm jealous of the dog. She said “I don't know why you think that, as I treat you both the same.”
cindythenurse
Small Boy

Post by cindythenurse »

Wednesday 17th June

Having arrived home and spent the journey contemplating this evenings show and my reaction to it, I was not at all sure that I was going to offer my review. However, here go's.

I am now into double figures for seeing this show and for the first time my overall enjoyment did not reach the 'wow' level I have come to expect. Of course all reactions are personal and I can only offer my own thoughts. A first timer would most probably not have the same reaction. But because the standard, for me, is set so consistently and exceptionally high, any slight dip in performance somehow becomes exaggerated.

It was the night of the alternates - for Dad David Bardsley, for Mrs W Wendy Somerville and Lee Hoy deputising as Older Billy.

David is growing on me and I found this performance much more convincing. Unfortunately, having much enjoyed seeing Wendy's previous performance as Mrs W, I found this evenings a rather lack lustre offering and she seemed, to me at least, to be having an 'off night'!

Nathan was great as Michael, full of spot on comic timing and excellent delivery. Chris as Tony never gives anything other than a strong and powerful performance.

Thomas was back for his second show since returning from a long lay-off. A new Billy for me, having now caught all the other current rotation. What a cracking little actor he is. Confident and clear delivery of dialogue and song. It is quite noticeable just how small and young he looks, compared to the other Billies. It also took a while, but not too long, to get used to the higher pitched voice! I always try to catch audience reactions in the interval and one just sticks in my mind 'Mickey Mouse on helium'.

As much as I enjoyed Thomas's interpretation and acting of the role, I have to report that there was something very clearly not 100% in the dancing department. Very obvious adjustments had been made in all the choreography to accommodate the fact that something was being protected. Obviously the vast majority would not have been aware of this. But for those of us in the know:- There was a distinct lack of spins at the end of Solidarity, no Piano flip in BtoB just a small cartwheel out from behind the piano. During Angry Dance I was becoming quite concerned as it did seem very muted and I detected some difficulty in getting up from the floor!. By now, I was half expecting an interval retirement! During the Dream Ballet there were at least three slips. Apart from the opening backflip in Electricity there were no others in the routine and the number ended with two cartwheels! And lastly, the usual solo backflips/tumbles curtain call was just a walk down!!

Please be assured that this is in no way a reflection on the performance of Thomas. He gave it everything and did all that was asked of him. The very appreciative audience gave him a deserved and prolonged ovation. However, I question the wisdom of the Production Team. It appears that adjustments have been made to the production / choreography in order to accommodate Thomas's return. Some will say this is understandable and fair enough and that he needs to be eased back into the role. They may also say that the tumbles/backflips and other energetic moves don't matter and the audience on the night are none the wiser. In which case, why are the other Billies doing them?

My apologies for a somewhat negative review, borne out of genuine concern. There were, of course, many enjoyable moments in the show. I write purely as an audience member, based on my own views as a regular attendee over the last few weeks.

On to Next week!

Regards
Cindythenuse
dancingboy
Billy

Post by dancingboy »

Personally, I have no problem with the Company 'easing' Thomas back into the show. For all I know he may only be performing one show this week and next, but what does it matter. It must be remembered that Thomas is not yet eleven years of age and has had six weeks out of the show and so, cindythenurse, I think your review was somewhat harsh. We cannot have perfection every time. Thomas's performance, I thought, was very commendable. Other Billys before Thomas have failed to do the flip off the piano or somersault to the front of the stage at the curtain call, especially after a lay off, but what does it matter. That certainly didn't detract from my enjoyment of his performance.
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

Thanks, cindy and dancingboy. I'm glad to hear that Thomas is back and doing well.
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.

Return to “Reviews - London”