July 2015 reviews - London

Reviews of the show
Barry Appleby
George

July 2015 reviews - London

Post by Barry Appleby »

THURSDAY MATINEE 2nd July

Sorry I'm a bit late with this, a bit under thumb yesterday, then a bleeding thunder storm last night I do hate them, although I think we were lucky up here on the Yorkshire East Coast, it was not as bad as others, have had, It actually didn't start here till about 4am.
Just to say on my way down to London I passed on the train, Hatfield Colliery, the pit wheel was working, I believe for the last time bring gear to the surface, as I said in an earlier thread, the colliery closed on Tuesday, the last fully working deep mine in the UK.
Well down to business, all of our usual gang were raving it up in Ireland, I don't think they got arrested, so I expected a lonely day but great, Billy Whiz was in town, so it was nice to meet up again to see another great show.
Thomas is amazing for his age, he gave a brilliant performance throughout, his diction is so clear and he so, times his punch lines really well, for instance when reading the address on the acceptance letter in the kitchen scene.
His dance routines were top notch throughout again, we do fail to realize that he is only 10 years old.
He adds his own personal touches, here is a couple of things, such as when in Solidarity when he says to Debbie, “my mams dead” he tends to bite his bottom lip, showing such emotion, also when he take the chair away after saying “Tony's waiting” he has a right good smirk at the audience as if look at that, I got away with it.
Todd was Michael another comical performance from him, but gosh hasn't he grown since I last saw him.
Connie every time I see her she just gets better and better, she has that cheeky touch, after Shine as she stares and smiles at Billy as she puts off the light off, as if he is really useless, before saying “you look like a **** to me.” In the Goodbye scene Ruthie could hardly keep a straight face at Connie's antics at leaving the stage.
Robbie Durham was standing in for Chris as Tony, I enjoyed his performance, it also helped, as he looks that bit younger and played the part his way, maybe not as forceful as Chris but they are both play the part of Tony so well. We also had a stand in older Billy for this performance, who was Peter Cork.
Lets call her Grandma Gillian, what about that whistle in the kitchen, what a cracker.
Well what can you say about Ruthie and Deka how lucky are we have them as the lead artists in the show, they are always outstanding.
To the Ballet Girls (Easington) and the rest of the cast a “Big Thank You to You All”

P.S. any review yet on Nats first Show???

Barry's corny joke - An old couple were arguing furiously one day.
“I don't know why I married you”, said the old woman. “Six other men proposed to me, you know”
“Six other men?” her husband retorted. “You should have married the first idiot who asked you”
“ I did”, said the wife, “ the other six proposed afterwards”
MsRF
Small Boy

Re: June 2015 reviews - London

Post by MsRF »

Noticed you guys hadn't had any reviews of Nat's first night on the forum. There were quite a lot on the Facebook fan page - but I can't copy them without permission so I've just copied my own, below.

Friday 3rd July

Nat (debut), Nathan and Connie

I love first nights - I think I actually enjoy them more than last nights. Nat's debut was phenomenal. He should be very very proud.

There was almost no sign of nerves. He's a great actor with a lovely singing voice but his dancing is incredible. He could've been in the show for months at the standard he's at. His turns across the stage and final spins in Solidarity were so so fast. The raked stage is clearly causing him no problems at all, even in this early stage of his Billy career.

You can tell he loves Expressing, he looked like he was having the time of his life. Flawless Born to Boogie complete with piano flip and a very precise Angry Dance.

During Dream Ballet I didn't know who to look at! James Butcher is very pleasing to the eye but since it was Nat's debut ... A few little fumbles but a really solid performance.

It was Electricity though that was a total showstopper. As we know from his Meet the Billys video, he does the ballet version with a lot of acro, but there's some choreography in there I've never seen before and he was perfect. He does a front flip with no hands and I still can't quite figure out how that is actually possible - a few people around me gasped when he did that. His turns are fantastic - complete with hands above the head, and such speed. He got a full stalls standing ovation, which very rarely happens on any night except last ones! It is worth seeing Nat just for his Electricity, I wanted to see it again even before he'd finished. I still can't quite find the words for how emotional it was.

Nathan and Connie were great too, Connie always nails the almost-teenagery moodiness and she clearly has a great rapport with Ruthie. Nathan's winter scene gets me every time, he can get so low into the splits that you can hear the audience wincing for him!

Robbie Durham as Tony is a revelation. Lookswise, he looks much more the age that Tony should be, he is a totally convincing 'older brother' whereas I think Chris does look quite a lot older than Billy. (He also has quite fabulous hair but that's beside the point!). He is totally convincing as Tony, it's like he's not even acting, and he pairs really well with Deka.

Che was small boy tonight, and he provided a little bit of comedy during the 'NO, DAD NO!' moment (Her name was Lola part) by pushing the man (I don't know his name!) very hard where you shouldn't push any man and the poor guy "Oooofed!' and staggered off the stage bent double, much to the amusement of the cast!

It was also quite amusing to see another Nat around the foyer during the intermission - he isn't lying in his video when he says he and his twin are identical!

All in all a great night and an amazing debut from Nat. I don't know where they find these kids!
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

Great review MsRF!! I really enjoyed your descriptions of Nat's first show. Looks like the West End has another star on it's hands :)
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

Thanks for your excellent review, MsRF. We had been hoping someone would post one.
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
angelenroute
Billy

Post by angelenroute »

MsRF wrote:It was also quite amusing to see another Nat around the foyer during the intermission - he isn't lying in his video when he says he and his twin are identical!
Great review, and that's so funny!!! He's gonna have to get used to the stares now. Maybe he can do some interviews when Nat is busy. :D

Sean

"Good writers define reality; bad ones merely restate it." -Edward Albee
Barry Appleby
George

Post by Barry Appleby »

" A GOLD STAR FOR YOU MsRF"
dancingboy
Billy

Post by dancingboy »

Monday 6 July

As I sat watching the show last evening I wondered whether I was watching Nat ( on his second show) or was it his identical twin brother. I suppose I shall never know. Maybe the Company signed them both up on a 2 for 1 basis. I'll assume it was Nat and I have to say it was a pleasure to see him.

Although I thought Nat was a little quiet on the stage he spoke his lines with great clarity and he showed he had a pleasant, rather delicate singing voice and during the course of the evening he showed some facial expressions and mannerisms, which are always good to see.

It was Nat's dancing though which spoke volumes and I was impressed with his tap dancing during Angry Dance. Dream Ballet was performed in fine style, with James Butcher and they proved to be a good partnership, especially with their timing. During Electricity I liked the way Nat varied his voice, quiet at times, then becoming stronger, stressing some of the words, as he went along. The ballet style Electricity was particularly strong and included a couple of twisting gymnastic moves and finishing superbly with a string of well spun pirouettes, arms above the head, a la Mitchell.

With Master Bell in the line up as Michael, we had a demonish duo of Sweeney and Todd performing during Expressing Yourself and in the Winter scene. ( Fortunately, it was Ruthie as Mrs Wilkinson and not Mrs Lovett). Connie played Debbie and, like Todd, is now a stalwart in the show and these two were again on top form. You just have to laugh at the way a disgruntled Connie eyeballs Ruthie
when exiting the stage.

It is, of course, early days for Nat ( or was it his twin brother?), but on the evidence of last night he is going to be a force to be reckoned with.
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

dancingboy wrote:Monday 6 July

As I sat watching the show last evening I wondered whether I was watching Nat ( on his second show) or was it his identical twin brother. I suppose I shall never know. Maybe the Company signed them both up on a 2 for 1 basis. I'll assume it was Nat and I have to say it was a pleasure to see him.

Although I thought Nat was a little quiet on the stage he spoke his lines with great clarity and he showed he had a pleasant, rather delicate singing voice and during the course of the evening he showed some facial expressions and mannerisms, which are always good to see.

It was Nat's dancing though which spoke volumes and I was impressed with his tap dancing during Angry Dance. Dream Ballet was performed in fine style, with James Butcher and they proved to be a good partnership, especially with their timing. During Electricity I liked the way Nat varied his voice, quiet at times, then becoming stronger, stressing some of the words, as he went along. The ballet style Electricity was particularly strong and included a couple of twisting gymnastic moves and finishing superbly with a string of well spun pirouettes, arms above the head, a la Mitchell.

With Master Bell in the line up as Michael, we had a demonish duo of Sweeney and Todd performing during Expressing Yourself and in the Winter scene. ( Fortunately, it was Ruthie as Mrs Wilkinson and not Mrs Lovett). Connie played Debbie and, like Todd, is now a stalwart in the show and these two were again on top form. You just have to laugh at the way a disgruntled Connie eyeballs Ruthie
when exiting the stage.

It is, of course, early days for Nat ( or was it his twin brother?), but on the evidence of last night he is going to be a force to be reckoned with.
So, tonight's bill was Sweeney/Todd? ;)
CJ-Rochester
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by CJ-Rochester »

kport wrote: So, tonight's bill was Sweeney/Todd? ;)

Well, a pasty is pretty much the same as a meat pie. ;)
patc
Mrs Wilkinson

Re: July 2015 reviews - London

Post by patc »

Thursday matinee 9th July

There must have been millions of pounds lost in London yesterday. Weight pounds, that is (I’m a strictly Avoirdupois or Imperial man and not for turning). With the Tube striked out (where’s Maggie Thatcher when you need her?) it was Shanks’ Mare or nothing if you wanted to actually get somewhere reasonably quickly. It was hot, too, but, if you took the time to prepare a fiendishly cunning plan, you could make it to your destination by combining the position of the sun in the sky with the tallest buildings, thus remaining in the shade for most, if not all, of the way.

It’s the great Al Jolson who is best remembered for that song that goes “I'd walk a million miles for one of your smiles”. I’d certainly have walked a million miles to see yesterday’s top class Bradley’s super-Spectacular performance (and his smile) watched, cheered, loved and enjoyed by one of the most animated (youthful) audiences it has been my pleasure to be present with. From the moment that brilliant new Small Boy George climbed up to cheers it was clear we were in for a day of it. Everything took off.

The altercation scenes were greeted with a mixture of gleeful surprise (at the language) and cheers at the responses - it was clear who were the good guys and the bad guys without any ugly presence. Tomi’s lively and mischievous Michael in Expressing and the Winter Scene also brought the house down.

Nevertheless, it was also great to see this up-for-it audience give the poignant scenes the utmost respect. The Letter (in fact, both Letters) were performed beautifully and a sensitive quietness descended. Even Tomi’s superbly played final curtain scene was observed to perfection until just about curtain three-quarter's way down point was reached.

We are so fortunate to have Ruthie, Gillian and Claudia as our leading ladies. Their mere presence lights up the stage and the quality of performance is par excellence.

Over the years the show almost always has had alternate Tony’s more than able to take over. Gold has been struck yet again. This time it’s Robbie Durham. Having seen him perform twice last week and again on Thursday there’s no question, as Barry and MsRF have indicated in their earlier reviews, that he has taken on the role so convincingly and impressively.

Logan was also excellent as Tall Boy and delivered an extremely realistic curtain headcrash having just given us a few posh-voiced laughs to preceed it.

Ross Finnie has settled in nicely with a classic Audio Tape Man with a mixture of confusion and whatever you’re having yourself. He has a very good stage presence in other scenes.

Craig Armstrong’s hilarious Posh Dad down through the years has always hit my funny bone and he had me in stitches again.

Massive admiration for Phil Snowden. In his many previous incarnations as Mr. B he never played the accordion but he has now gone and learnt to do it. Deep into the Ground is all the better for it. As an aside, I've sometimes wondered why it is considered necessary for ONLY Mr. B to learn to play the accordion. In cases where the designated actor didn't play you might expect that someone else in the Ensemble could or would.

The Ballet Girls (Markham) were absolutely delightfully and crazily vibrant in their “duels” with Billy. Happy-go-lucky and energetic they have a ball up on that stage yet, during Once We were Kings, if you let your eyes wander across to either side of the stage they portray so well, along with their Mums, that desolate moment for whole families when the miners went back underground. Then, of course, they show us their dancing talents in the Finale. Overall, it is a fantastic role for a girl to get.

Last and certainly not least I’d like to pay tribute to Demi. Two years in the role of Debbie she has been at the top of her game for that entire period, never letting up for a second. Pure class.

Had Billy Whiz been there yesterday (and with photo permission as per a last night) he would have captured an unbelieveable, stunning straight-on final somersault by Bradley to put the icing on the cake of a top-class professional Billy performance. It made the approx 3.5 miles walk back to Liverpool Street (to catch the Stansted Express) feel like an easy-peasy light-footed stroll -and I lost no pounds (currency) doing it. I hope I won’t have to but, for such sheer quality of entertainment, I’d willingly do it all again.

Pat

Return to “Reviews - London”