Re: July 2015 reviews - London

Post by CJ-Rochester »

Connie's hair must have had a mind of its own last night. :lol:
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

jmh2014 wrote:Thanks for posting the photo's David.

Good to meet you last night too.
It was good to meet you too, Julian.
Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.
Fishcake
Small Boy

Post by Fishcake »

CJ-Rochester wrote:Connie's hair must have had a mind of its own last night. :lol:

It definitely did lol. Fab photos x
patc
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by patc »

Thursday Matinee 30th July

Well, I never! The space below this is reserved for words that can adequately describe yesterday’s matinee at the VPT and the first Thursday matinee appearance by the latest Billy, Nat Sweeney.

Meanwhile, this will have to do!

Without a doubt that first viewing of a new Billy is always a highlight for us fans. The sense of anticipation as you walk by the Board and see the name is incalculable. Very occasionally you’re almighty lucky to be there on his first night but most other times you have to wait. Thankfully, the wait for Nat was short. They say that seeing is believing but I’m not so sure. I can hardly believe that I saw what I saw and will have to wait until I see it again before believing that I actually saw what I saw. But, I’m way ahead of meself, here.

Nat strode on stage like so many (of the few) before him and immediately impressed with his onstage presence, his distinct (and distinctive) voice and wonderful facial and eye expressions icing his acting cake. Even though he is no. 41 this is the 41st different interpretation of words and deeds played out in a thoroughly convincing manner. As each scene came and went you marvelled at the fashioning of this endearing and intriguing interpretation. The spins at the end of Solidarity were exciting but gave no real hint of what was to come (that which defies belief).

When the incandescent Tomi Fry came on with that mischievous smile of his in full flow, in double quick time he had Nat and himself wooing the audience as the pair of them danced a quality Expressing oozing class, fun and frolics. Nat’s Letter with wonderful Wendy and charming Claudia was when it all first got very emotional. He didn’t have to shed any actual tears. His voice and looks said it all. A thrilling Angry Dance brought the first half to a close.

By now I knew that the second half was going to be a thundercracker. Here we had the inspirational story of Billy Elliot and the incredible and inspirational story of Nat (and his twin brother Oliver) fusing together into one mighty emotional climax. But before that a delightful Dream Ballet of poetic beauty with James Butcher had the applause ringing around the theatre. A deeply moving Pit Scene between Dad and Tony (Chris G back after a break) followed and set us up very nicely for the big moment. I installed solid gates on my tear ducts. Huge notices were posted on them. DO NOT OPEN.

MD, Mark, hit the note. The stage was Nat’s and he started to sing, to use the power of face and eyes to draw us into his heart. We were reeled in, hook, line and sinker………..and then he was Free. As the familiar music invaded our very souls an Electricity of such majesty and poise was set in motion, across the stage, over the chairs, around the back, teasing Dad with daring balance and arm movements, extraordinary somersaults-with-no-hands until the finale approached. What happened next is the bit that’s beyond belief. A series of extraordinarily impossible backflips, each one faster than the previous, was followed by…... well, we’re going to need an RPM machine to work this one out. Quickly building up speed he finished off with a series of the most incredible spins the likes of which I’m pretty sure I haven’t seen previously, before adopting his final pose. The crowd went manic. My tear duct gates didn’t stand a chance, they collapsed under the weight of water. The crowning moment for both fictional and real boy had arrived. My own spirits were sent spiralling high into the clouds. Towards the end of the applause, Nat briefly smiled. Damian Jackson must have been halfway to the Moon.

As an aside I’m reasonably sure that to accommodate Nat’s final Electricity flourishes an extra phrase or maybe even two or more was added to the music but I would have to see it again so much was going on.

As this was my first time seeing Nat perform (well, as Billy – I did, unknowingly see him up in Brum in Lord of the Flies) I’ve concentrated mainly on his performance in this week’s review. However, let it be also recorded that all the cast, young and old, threw their every breath into making this a day of the finest and unbeatable entertainment, the type that keeps bringing you back time and again. The show is as fresh as ever, full of passion and vitality, never pausing for breath, never letting up. Driven along by music of such unique quality, not a note wasted, it should run forever. Every future generation should have the privilege of seeing it.

In his bio, Nat says, “Nat would like to give massive thanks to everyone who has helped him over the past year and hopes to make you all very proud”. I’m absolutely sure he has done so.

Pat
angelenroute
Billy

Post by angelenroute »

patc wrote:The crowd went manic.
Great fun reaching this point, Pat, and a great writeup as always! Thank you! :D Well done, Nat, and welcome to super-stardom!!!

Seán

"Good writers define reality; bad ones merely restate it." -Edward Albee
MsRF
Small Boy

Post by MsRF »

Amazing review, Pat. I was lucky enough to see Nat on his opening night and you managed to put into words exactly how I felt.

Nats Electricity really is extraordinary and one of my favourite renditions ever. He exudes such a sheer joy when he dances that it makes it doubly enjoyable.
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

I know EXACTLY how you feel, patc, when you say you're at a loss for words in describing your first impressions of Nat Sweeney.

I feel that way every time I read one of your reviews. You continually outdo yourself. It's just amazing!

Thanks again for sharing your thoughts.
Barry Appleby
George

Post by Barry Appleby »

THURSDAY 30th JULY (Matinee)
I was lucky enough to be at the VP as well. Yes the audience were manic, normally matinee audiences are usually reserved, I've often remarked about it in my reviews, unless you have school parties in, well of course it was school holidays time.
I was in the stalls B1 the whole audience even in the balconies just rose up out of their seats at the end of Nats Electricity, it was a full house as well, not a single day ticket left, a lady outside was giving tickets away as some of her group were missing, they were being snapped up straight away.
I think Nat realized he had conquoured the audience, he so enjoyed, performing the finale, like that old song I believe the audience would have “walked a million miles for one of Nats smiles”
Yes I meet up with Pat after for a coffee and sarny and he was short of words. Anyway he's made up for that with another great review, it covers everything, more than I can say.
Bridget40
Tall Boy

Post by Bridget40 »

Thanks Barry and Pat for the reviews.... I agree with you with regard to Nat. He's a bit special....
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

Thanks Pat and Barry for your great reviews. I've yet to see Nat so that is a treat I am looking forward to.
Barry Appleby wrote: Yes I meet up with Pat after for a coffee and sarny and he was short of words.
I always enjoy meeting up with you guys - but I cannot believe that Pat was short of words :) It's definitely a first.
Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.

Return to “Reviews - London”