September 2015 Reviews -London

Post by patc »

Thursday Matinee 3rd September

The answers to certain questions are:

1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Yes
4. No

For the third Thursday matinee in a row it was Nat who stormed on to set in motion all the thrills, emotions and grab-you-by-the-throat drama and spectacle that is BETM. Someday, hopefully, someone will write a book entitled “BETM: the Inside Story”. It will be a best-seller. You can’t just walk on to a stage and deliver a pulsating title role performance like this without something really unique and complex going on behind the scenes for months in advance – to enhance the talent, hard work and dedication of the deliverer. Magic wands don’t exist in the real world. If you add in a wonderfully talented and equally dedicated supporting cast, young and old, the resultant entertainment level is at ozone layer level. Just 41 sets of parents have sat in the VPT and watched their sons play Billy. It must be an insanely proud moment for them. The rest of us can only imagine what such an experience is like. Had Nat’s folks been there yesterday they would have floated out of the theatre on a multicoloured cloud of pure joy.

The irrepressible Todd was as brilliant as ever. Connie, with her endearing, trademark (and instantly loveable) impish smile is always so much fun to watch. Little George got the crowd going every time he was on stage. I do really like the extra involvement of the Small Boys in “Big Spender”. Joshua also played his part extremely well finishing off his RBS audition scene participation with a most realistic bat-out-of-hell encounter with the curtain. The Easington Ballet Girls were positively brilliant.

Rachel Bingham stood in for Claudia as Dead Mum and handled it immaculately.

Lee Hoy and Nat performed a superbly danced and pendulumised Dream Ballet.

The music continues to enthral. I’ve seen three different MD’s in a row, Chris, Mark and Andy and each has his own style of conducting and playing - witness the three versions of pianowork in Take me Up – one of my extra favourite pieces to enjoy.

Live theatre is so much better than Cinema. There is always the unexpected, no matter how small. In the RBS audition scene when Nat removed the audio tape from his pocket it was plain to see that it was in a hopeless tangle and unrewindable. As usual, when this happens (very rarely, I hasten to add) a member of the audition team signals to Audio Tape Man to fetch the tape. Ross Finnie was our man yesterday and he brought the house down with what must have been a quickly improvised response. Hilarious.

Sadly, this is Ballet Girls leaving week. I send my heartfelt thanks and appreciation to all of these delightful performers who contribute so much to the enjoyment of the show night after night and wish all of them the very best for the future.

Oh and by the way, the questions to the answers above were:

1. Are you still enthralled as much as ever by the show?
2. Do you give the cast 10 out of 10?
3. If you lived in London would you go more than once a week?
4. Have you recovered yet from the emotional impact of Nat’s unmissable, mercurial and visually stunning Electricity?

Pat
cindythenurse
Small Boy

Re: September 2015 Reviews -London

Post by cindythenurse »

Thursday Sept 3rd, Evening.

Well, after a bit of a break, I returned to the VP for the first of a handful of visits over the next couple of months. Now that great seats are once again on 'Special Offer' during September and October, who wouldn't want take advantage?

I settled into my seat in Row D, almost on the aisle. Great value, great legroom and great view. The place was packed and it soon became evident from overheard conversations, that a lot of audience with 'connections' to the Easington Ballet Girls were in for what turned out to be their farewell performance. On top form as always and enjoying every minute on stage.

Being so close to the action is a real treat. It really is a different experience. The actors emotions, facial expressions and the little glances, winks, grins and other smaller bits of 'business' are all picked up and adds so much to the enjoyment.

As the opening chorus number progressed and cast came into view, it was quite evident that 3 or 4 seated stage right, although acting their parts, were not actually singing. While most others were giving it their all, these mouths remained firmly shut, something I was quite surprised at. I could not imagine why this would be and if resting voices after a matinee were the reason, surely a token effort at miming would have been better than non-participation. It didn't in any way spoil an excellent opening, just a little odd. Any thoughts people?

Brodie led the way with a fantastic performance. To see his acting and dancing ability up close, is to appreciate what a talent this is. I imagine however, that even the back row of the top shelf could appreciate the dazzling smile. Faultless and perfectly executed tap, perfect pitch singing, graceful ballet and energetic twists, back flips and I do believe I saw a Nat Sweeney like handless forward somersault! At the end of electricity and again at the curtain calls, well deserved standing ovations. Brodie has matured into the role and carries himself with assured confidence and experience. At one point I thought he would have to complete the 'Born to Boogie' scene in his dressing gown. As his bed lowered into the scene he finally threw it off with a split second to spare, after struggling with a particularly stubborn granny knot in the cord.

Tomi gave another barnstorming portrayal as Michael. Again, the facial expressions, covering all emotions were a treat. Clearly enjoying his scenes with Brodie, they have a chemistry together that exudes pure joy during 'expressing' and eye watering emotion during the 'winter scene' and final curtain. Demi as Debbie, gave a performance as fresh as ever. After such a long spell in the role no mean achievement.

Rachel Bingham was covering as Dead Mum and although in my opinion, not yet at the same level as Claudia, gave a strong and confident performance. The other 'cover' on at this performance was Peter Cork as Older Billy. Technically proficient as expected, I would say lacking the gracefulness I have seen before with rather quick and 'jerky' moves.

The 'regulars' completed the principle line up. And what a 'Dream Team' it is. Deka as Dad - how does he give a performance like this time after time? Perfectly pitched anger, aggression, pathos, emotion, comedy and heart wrenching love, pride and finally the 'letting go'.

Chris as Tony - he always delivers. Such a powerful actor. As an aside, who is that now playing what I take to be his 'girlfriend'? I don't mean to be unkind but, in the words of Billy 'aren't you a bit old miss?'.

Ruthie certainly has made the part of Mrs Wilkinson her own. Although we all know she possesses one of the best voices in musical theatre, it is her acting prowess that really does 'shine' in this role.

Needless to say, a great reception at the shows conclusion. A handclapping finale and from my seat the extra pleasure of seeing Tomi and Demi giving their own interpretation of the Finale in the wings as they waited to go on for the bows.

'Happy days are here again'. Two more visits already booked and after last night it will definitely be more!

Regards
Cindythenurse

All the other parts played to the usual
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

Wow! What a way to start the new month. Thanks for the brilliant reviews.

Keep 'em coming :)
Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.
jmh2014
Tall Boy

Post by jmh2014 »

Saturday September 5th.
Final performance for Todd Bell, Demi Lee and Orgreave Ballet Girls.

Applause and cheering followed all the leavers throughout the entire show last night.

The energy from the audience lifted the entire cast to a performance of stunning quality and thus giving the leavers a night, I'm sure, they will remember for a long time.

Deka's speech at the end singled out the "exceptional talent" of the young cast. Kyria, who's final show had been in the matinee was also on stage to receive her final farewell.

Special mention to Ollie who, buoyed by the raucous audience produced the best performance I've seen from him.

Todd's dancing in MCMT was a real highlight, but it was the final scene which will never be forgotten.

Applause greeted a tearful Todd as he rode onto the stage for the last time. The final look between him and Ollie was heartbreaking. Racked with emotion, his final "Yeah, see ya Billy" triggered not just more applause but a standing ovation. Magical.
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

I'd like to add my thanks to all who have taken the time early in this eventful month to share their observations and thoughts about September shows.

With regard to the review by jmh2014 of the "leavers" show... WOW! What an emotional show that was and especially that final moment between Billy and Michael -- Ollie and Todd!
dancingboy
Billy

Post by dancingboy »

Saturday 5 September ( evening)

Those people in the audience, perhaps seeing the show for the first time, as many, no doubt, were, must have wondered what they had let themselves in for. With no announcement being made prior to the show they would not have known that it was the last show for Todd, Demi and the Orgreave Ballet girl team. However, they would not have expected to hear a lot of noise from a certain section of the audience, which, I felt, was, at times, way 'over the top'.

It is customary for any leaver to be applauded, even cheered, when they first appear on stage and I had no problems with that. Nor with certain people, perhaps Ballet girl parents and friends being enthusiastic, but the continual cheering/ whooping and standing ovations, sometimes at inappropriate times was, I have to say, somewhat disrespectful to the whole cast.

I have to disagree with the previous writer, jmh2014, concerning the final scene. I may be old fashioned, but I really feel that after Billy and Michael ( Ollie and Todd last night) have said their 'goodbyes' and Michael is sitting on his bike contemplating life without Billy, a somewhat poignant and moving scene, silence should be the order of the day. Last night, however, as the curtain was falling and Todd, to his credit was trying his utmost to hold things together and not cry, some in the audience felt it was the right time to cheer and give Todd a standing ovation. There was plenty of time for that at the curtain calls.

As it was Deka gave a small, but appropriate speech concering those leaving and there is no doubt that, at this point, the audience gave Todd, Demi, Kyria ( who played Debbie at the matinee) and the Ballet girls a vociferous send off.

Apart from the noisy crowd the show was an enjoyable one to watch. Todd's performance was probably the best I have seen from him and it has been wonderful to see his progression whilst playing the role of Michael, making good use of his voice and bringing in more facial expressions. Demi was her usual 'stroppy' self as Debbie, whilst the Ballet girls were perfect throughout. Todd, Demi and the girls showed total professionalism in getting through the show so comfortably. There's no one more rock solid than Ollie to play Billy and his dancing, particularly in Electricity certainly 'wowed' the audience.

It was also good to see the likes of Elliott, Matteo, Zach Atkinson and some ex-ballet girls there watching the show and supporting their former friends and colleagues.
jmh2014
Tall Boy

Post by jmh2014 »

dancingboy wrote:I have to disagree with the previous writer, jmh2014, concerning the final scene. I may be old fashioned, but I really feel that after Billy and Michael ( Ollie and Todd last night) have said their 'goodbyes' and Michael is sitting on his bike contemplating life without Billy, a somewhat poignant and moving scene, silence should be the order of the day
I would agree that this scene should be played out in silence. However, last night was an exception to this and, to me, it just felt right.
Bridget40
Tall Boy

Post by Bridget40 »

It was a good show, and a fantastic send off for those leaving the cast. However, I agree with dancingboy. I thought it was a big mistake not to make an announcement at the beginning of the show. As Deka said at the end, it was, at times "Like a One Direction concert." During the show we had, loud cheering, high pitched screaming, kids crying up on stage! People not in the know were somewhat confused. No wonder I heard one such person say to his wife..... "What the hell is going on!"

It must have been great fun for the kids leaving though.
dancingboy
Billy

Post by dancingboy »

Monday 7 September

A cracker of a show to start the week, except there was one ingredient missing...... nerves. The new 'kids' just do not seem to have them thesedays.
Debuts for Bradley ( Michael), Beatrice ( Debbie) and some Ballet Girls. Three of the Markham girls remained ( including 'Tracey Atkinson'), but the latest recruits and Beatrice gelled perfectly from the word go. It just proves how well they are trained before actually starting in the show.
Bradley is a copper haired cheeky chappie who was quite brilliant, considering it was his debut as Michael and also his first venture on to the West End stage. I shan't go into detail about his Tutu routine, suffice to say that I found it funny to watch.
Thomas gets better with each and every show, with his acting a joy to watch. His Electricity showed some strong dancing and fully deserved its ovation, which seemed to please Thomas as he had a huge smile on his face.
As patc has mentioned many times before, the cast may change, from time to time, in this case the young cast, but it makes not the slightest difference, so well prepared are they before starting their run in the show.
patc
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by patc »

Thursday 10th September - all day

Magic, mega and miraculous was the order of the day. It’s almost impossible to keep up with the happenings at the VPT but I’m doing my best. Yesterday was full of surprises.

On the way in I forgot to look at the box-office window to see if there were any alternates on. When Mrs. W came through the door it wasn’t Ruthie, it wasn’t Wendy………..it was Claudia (who usually plays Dead Mum) and she was magnificent in the role (we got second wonderful helpings at the evening show). Different from the way both Ruthie or Wendy play it but utterly convincing and a joy to watch.

The two new Debbies, Hollie Jayne and Beatrice, were also in action and were brilliant. Not a molecule of nerves in sight, straight into the part full of verve and not a little cheek. Great acting from both girls and their timing in their “My Mam’s dead” scene with their respective Billys was absolutely spot on.

The new Bedlington Ballet Girl team had the honour in both shows and their superb performances were proof positive of the quality and extent of their training and talent as they danced their kaleidoscopic routines around and across the stage with much aplomb. The pink dress sequence in Shine with all its slick movements and accompanying shouts was like watching the inside of a Swiss watch such was the precision. I’ll have to soon pay another visit to one of the balconies to enjoy this from on high, the only spot to really fully appreciate its magic and content. I might have to also invest in a pot of glue for the soles of my shoes ‘cos it’s almost impossible not to “get tapping” whilst this is in progress.

The main adult cast are delivering stunning stuff, full of passion and power mixed with laughter. Even after all these years the "Esquire" joke just seems to get even funnier the more you hear it and watching Chris Grahamson’s silent eyeball response and Gillian’s facials to Billy’s mispronunciation kills me every time.

Both Dream Ballets (led by James Butcher) were poetry in graceful (e)motion that took your breath away. The work and practice involved in getting this sequence to the stage must be phenomenal. Twirling chairs, identical dance moves, dancer interaction and the flying act all of which must be done to exact music cues is a work of pure genius. When that was presented to the original Billys and Older Billy I can almost hear them retorting, “You gotta be joking, Damian”!

The Ensemble is not just on fire. It’s a blazing inferno. Sharp as nails with all the bit parts finely tuned to produce the desired result. To mention just a few, James’ Adult Dancer, Lucinda’s refined and reserved RBS Receptionist (“Oh, Mr. Elliot”) and David Stoller’s Posh Dad bought raucous laughter from the audience during those memorable consecutive interludes in front of curtain.

Caiden/George and Logan did their bit as required. They may only play small parts but all of their little moments in the show add to the whole.

Brodie was the lynchpin for the matinee with Tomi weighing in with some great punches of his own and I don’t mean just the boxing.

When I saw who was on for the evening show I cast my mind back six months to the day (less one day) to that night in March when I was lucky to be around for Thomas and Nathan’s first night. They were dynamite together on that occasion. Six months later they’ve gone nuclear.

There are a few ways you can cook an egg but a great many more ways to play Billy and Michael and Brodie/Thomas and Tomi/Nathan have chosen their individual methods each of which is shamelessly designed to manipulate our hearts and souls to maximum effect. Doing the double on the same day is a great way to witness this in action. The Letter is a prime example where each boy sets your tears flowing in two distinctly different ways. The singing of Electricity is another example. As the song progresses Brodie almost is thinking aloud whereas Thomas is passionately punching out the words. The effect of each method is exactly the same. It serves to suck the audience like a powerful vacuum cleaner into Billy’s very soul before he suddenly explodes into dancing ecstasy. Both Electricity's were mindblowing. Regardless of how many final spins are achieved (or in Brodie’s case that wall flip) the final pose always sends me into emotional turmoil. Not turmoil in the normal sense. My whole being seems to be surrounded by an aura of tingling and heart-thumping warmth conflicting with a sense of total disbelief at what I have just seen. Having this experience once in one day is a surefire way to contentment – having it twice is even better.

As Thursday evening drew to a close, after having been “manipulated” so well and so enjoyably all day, the final goodbyes left this human mind, already in tatters, almost bereft and all that was left was for Nathan to finish me off which, of course, he did with a pair of eyes that would have melted the Giant’s Causeway. Thank goodness for the Finale which is the perfect antidote to all that has gone on before and ensures an exit to the street with massive smiles on faces and very audible buzzing chatter.

Propelling the story along, the music, directed by Chris and Mark respectively, was akin to a wave carrying a giant sailing ship across an oft-turbulent ocean before arriving at safe harbour. I’ll never be a crew member of this ship but will gladly sail in her as a passenger as often as possible.

Heartfelt thanks to cast, creative and crew for delivering for the umpteenth time an entertainment of such quality that, indeed, we shall not see its likes again.

Pat

Return to “Reviews - London”