November 2015 Reviews - London

Reviews of the show
patc
Mrs Wilkinson

November 2015 Reviews - London

Post by patc »

Thursday 5th November – all day

Who needs Guy Fawkes? We had more fireworks at the VPT on Thursday than in the 410 years since………..exploding in all directions from two Sparklers, Brodie (matinee) and Thomas (evening). Sparklers that also gave us ground spinners and flying spinners in abundance. Quality, Quality, Quality all the way.

Today’s generation of cinemagoers might not know that, in the “old days”, cinema performances were mainly double features lasting 3 hours plus, the second film usually being a B movie that could sometimes eclipse the main A feature. You also got extras like Pathe News and other shorts plus about 6 trailers of forthcoming attractions. At my local cinema if you went on Wednesday or Thursday you got a free ticket for the following week’s corresponding night. Can’t see that happening at the VPT any time soon, though, but if you’re doing the Billy Double you will always get two A Plus features each time, every time.

It has been a couple of months since we’ve had the pleasure of seeing Brodie onstage at the matinee and he made up for that long absence by displaying all the magnificent talents that has had him receiving rave reviews from Day One. In the intervening period he has fine-tuned things to further brilliant effect. Thomas, likewise, has also taken his performances to new levels. Nothing stands still with these extraordinarily talented youngsters. For them, enough is never enough……..and, for true blue fans, enough viewings certainly will never be enough either.

As the story unfolds and the various characters, situations and scenes come and go, a kind of static energy is steadily building like an approaching thunderstorm. As Billy’s ambition is opposed and, seemingly, a lost cause for now at least, the Angry Dance is the catalyst that finally sparks this energy and, in ever-recurring waves, propelled by dancing feet, twirling arms and pounding shields, it is sent hurtling to the back of the theatre where it hits the wall and, like a boomerang, spins back from whence it came with such velocity that you can feel it on the back of the neck. Billy’s final scream reduces this energy to zero. There is a sort of calm that follows but it is just a temporary respite.

The energy build-up recommences in Part Two but, soon, we begin to believe that this is energy of a different kind, non-destructive and full of hope. It reaches its peak as Billy steps forward at the RBS. You can almost see this energy hanging there ready to be ignited and when it does you’d better watch out. As the music increases in intensity and reverberates around the auditorium, the energy creates a fast spinning cloud which, as Billy commences his final spins, shoots a tornado-like atmospheric phenomenon to the back walls and, as they come back, those continuing high-speed spins send them flying back again and again becoming ever faster. The audience is caught up in the middle and are helpless as they are overpowered and overcome. If every aspect of our lives produced this sort of energy we’d be walking tall every hour of the day.

There are so many other people, young and old, involved in building up the energies onstage. On Thursday the young were represented by Tomi (in his usual magic form), Bradley (producing yet another hilarious variation on his take – can’t wait for the next one), Connie and Hollie, being obstreperously cool, the persistent and delightful Dinington girls displaying a wide range of talents and Caiden/George and Joshua playing their smaller parts so well. Mix all this up with a fired up Ruthie, Deka and Chris plus their supporting village folk and it’s no wonder it all explodes sooner or later.

Most stories would finish there and then with the main character’s ambition achieved and all live happily ever after. Here, though, the human element which has shone through all through has the final say and, in truth, as in real life, nobody does. Nevertheless, we the watchers have been entertained, have been inspired and leave the theatre with not just good but scintillating vibrations that last. I’m still feeling them even now despite it being more than 48 hours since they happened. On the 5th November those Guys, Brodie, Thomas & Co. suffered a different fate to that of the original Guy. Instead of being hung from the rafters they were cheered to the rafters. This Guy is very glad he was there to witness it

Pat
Barry Appleby
George

Re: November 2015 Reviews - London

Post by Barry Appleby »

Cheer Pat for your double review, the first one of the month a real tonic on these grim November days.
To your remarks on the "Old days" I wonder how many times, when you were under 18, usually on a Sunday night did you try to get into a X rated film and you were sometimes, not politely shown the door.
patc
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by patc »

Barry Appleby wrote: To your remarks on the "Old days" I wonder how many times, when you were under 18, usually on a Sunday night did you try to get into a X rated film and you were sometimes, not politely shown the door.
There were no X rated films shown in Irish cinemas in those days! It was rather like that depicted in Giuseppe Tornatore's masterpiece Cinema Paradiso, LOL.

Pat
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

What a cracker of a review to start the month off. Thanks Pat.
Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.
jmh2014
Tall Boy

Post by jmh2014 »

Saturday November 14th - Evening

A packed VPT were treated to not only an amazing show but were also able to see just how much Ollie & Tomi enjoyed their final show.

First half highlights were Ollie’s supremely fast pirouettes at the end of Solidarity and of course his powerful Angry Dance which led to a standing ovation. Expressing was pure entertainment and all the little looks and smiles between Ollie and Tomi illustrated the deep friendship they have formed throughout their time together.

Both Ché and Tomi let loose with their dancing during MCMT. As the Barry Manilow cover started, Ché leapt to life and, while pushing his “dad” away, felled him with a low blow much to the amusement of the cast.

Dream ballet was beautiful but Electricity was breath-taking, probably the best that Ollie has performed. The smile on his face as he surveyed the standing ovation left no one in any doubt just how much it meant to him.

A fun filled Finale rounded off the evening.

It has been a real pleasure to watch Tomi and in particular Ollie grow in to the spectacular performers they are now. Good luck to both, Ché and Joshua for whatever they do in the future.
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

Here are a few photos from last night. It was announced beforehand that it was the last night for Ollie, Tomi, Joshua (Tall Boy) and Ché (Small Boy). Chris Grahamson (Tony) also left last night but this was not announced.

Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.
Katwoman
Small Boy

Post by Katwoman »

Wonderful photos, Billy Whiz. Many thanks.

And another thing...Haven't Elliott and Matteo grown up since the tenth anniversary show?!
CJ-Rochester
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by CJ-Rochester »

Thanks for the great review, jmh2014, and for the fantastic photos, Billy Whiz. I'm dying at that closeup shot of Ché. :D
jmh2014
Tall Boy

Post by jmh2014 »

Great photos. Ché's expression is priceless.
Billy Whiz wrote:Chris Grahamson (Tony) also left last night but this was not announced.
I guess that explains the RBS letter scene.
As Deka put the letter between his legs, there was just the tiniest edge sticking out for Chris to grab. This caused much amusement in the audience as well as on stage. After several attempts to grab the letter, Chris pressed his knee into the back of Deka's leg to release the letter.
Bridget40
Tall Boy

Post by Bridget40 »

Thank you for the excellent review Jmh2014, and for the fantastic photos Billy Whiz..... It sounds like it was a fun show. Seeing as Ollie is one of my absolute favourite Billys, I would have loved to have been there, but I was unable to be because of work.

I guess this is the end of an era in a way........ All the Billy's that were featured in 'Billy Elliot The Musical live' have now moved on!

Return to “Reviews - London”