April 2016 Reviews - London

Reviews of the show
Westletonion
Miner

Re: April 2016 Reviews - London

Post by Westletonion »

Well said Barry. I heartily agree with all your sentiments. It was nice to see folks there who I had met way back in the pre-view days, namely April 2005. I also count myself to be very fortunate to have seen all 42 Billys, plus all the Michaels and Debbies. This show has been a tour de force like no other.
dancingboy
Billy

Post by dancingboy »

I've just spent half an hour typing a review re Saturday night, submitted it, now it's nowhere to be seen!!
emcpow
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by emcpow »

Thank you to everyone for these great reviews, and thanks to Bridget40, jmh2014 and Then I saw her face for filling in some of the bits I missed out. It really was a fantastic night with so many different things going on. It's so nice that we've managed to record most of it on here.

And dancingboy, that's such a shame about your review. I did mine in Word so I could save it and then copied it across when I was done.
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

That is always the best idea. I have lost posts that took a lot of time to type, so I have learned to do them in a word processing program and then paste them in. It is easy to hit preview instead of submit and think you have posted, and when you go on to something else, that's the end of your post. :( Or, as is sometimes the case, the forum will decide to go down for a few minutes, and then whatever you were working on is lost as well. Believe me, I learned the hard way.
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
BILLYFAN
Debbie

Post by BILLYFAN »

Saturday 9th April 2.30 Mat.

The atmosphere at the theatre, both before and dueing the show was electric!
I thought that it may be sad but there was a lot of excitement
The show was fantastic every one on the stage put extra effort one of the best shows I've seen
Brodie was his brilliant self Michael in expressing yourself was very funny
First time I.ve seen Connie playing Debbie. very impressed with her esp. in the toilet scene
1st time I.ve seen the audience do a standing ovation for the Angry Dance --very well deserved
Dream Ballet was very well preformed I.ve seen Brodie 3 times and have been impressed with his electricity
but on this show, the best I.ve seen
Couple of things:- in the breakfast scene the toast popped out onto the floor, but big Davy picked it up
and made the salt sandwich and as already been said someone called out 84 in the raffle. but George smiled and said 83
I was also disappointed that the management didn't make this a special show, but that said all the actors/actresses made a special effort -thank you very much
Plenty of photo's being taken duing the final and some in Electricity A couple of front staff tried to stop them. but gave up--too many to stop!
I would like to thank all the people who have worked hard to keep this forum going and hope to read reviews of the tour also it will be very nice to keep the London reviews so on a cold dark rainy winters day we can read them again
Will it be back in London? I hope so and within the next 3-4 years, not 20years
I,v seen the show 66 times, 63 at London, the live show at Exeter Vue and the tour at Plymouth twice
I have a ticket for Cardiff in July and Bristol in November
The1st show was 23rd April 2005 and the last London show 9th April 2016
See ya Billy -----and come back soon
jmh2014
Tall Boy

Post by jmh2014 »

Thank you to everyone who has taken the time to post reviews over the years.
dancingboy
Billy

Post by dancingboy »

Saturday 9 April ( Last show)

Having scoured the dictionary for the past 24 hours or so, I am still unable to find the right words that could do this show justice. Amazing, Dazzling, Incredible, none really seem to be enough. I am not one who has a photographic memory so I will not even try to recount everything that went on, suffice to say that the Billy tag-team idea worked a treat and it was great to see a similar idea with the other child cast, Michaels, Debbies, Small Boys and Tall Boys. Quite rightly, they had a 'piece of the cake too'.The choreography for their various numbers was superbly done.

The icing on the cake, however, was Nat Sweeney's Electricity. Has a performance of this been bettered? Not when I've been watching. The number was always going to receive a standing ovation, but the roar from the audience when it finished must have been heard all the way to Easington.

You had to be very hard-hearted not to have been moved to tears watching Ruthie say her Farewells to each of the four Billys. I doubt very much that, in my lifetime, I will see such emotional scenes in the theatre ever repeated.

Apart from those performing on stage, the stars of the evening were the former Billys and Michaels that I saw, some of whom I was able to speak before or after the show. Some, we know, are already making a name for themselves in TV, the Cinema or on Stage, and from what I saw of them over the years, many more will follow, for each and everyone one of them has been hugely talented.

My memories of the show and particularly the last night will remain with me forever.
thm
Miner

Post by thm »

dancingboy wrote:I've just spent half an hour typing a review re Saturday night, submitted it, now it's nowhere to be seen!!
That keeps happening every now and then. When it does, I hit the browser back-button until it shows again and resubmit it. Works every time.
jen
Miner

Post by jen »

Wonderful shows on Saturday will post reviews later. Will really miss reading all the reviews especially as I wasn't in the position to go to the shows.
It is a great show that people do come and see. Because it's not
just a show for adults, or just for children, or just for people that
like theatre, I'd say for everyone, and it's got so much emotion
behind it. Because who ever comes and sees it, feels the story -
so I think: it's brilliant!" (GM)
Yorkie
Miner

Post by Yorkie »

Then I saw her face wrote:
Todd wrote: Also, in the goodbye scene with Mrs W, did the billys all say 'we could never have done it without you miss' all at the same time, or separately?
Flyin high wrote: In the goodbye scene, I believe each Billy took turns saying the lines in the "And Miss . . . . I just want to say . . . .thank you Miss . . . for what you did" part, but that only one of them spoke for the group when he said, "We could never have done it without you." Someone may want to correct me on that if I mis-heard any of that part. All of the small boys said their line to George in unison.
I may be wrong, too. But to my impression "We could never have done it without you." has been spoken by all of them as one.
"we could never have done it without you" was only said by one Billy
MRS WILKINSON IS A RIGHT COW!

Return to “Reviews - London”