April 2016 Reviews - London

Reviews of the show
jmh2014
Tall Boy

April 2016 Reviews - London

Post by jmh2014 »

Saturday April 2nd

Brodie produced another cool calm and assured Billy performance for the evening. With the level of experience behind him you know what you are going to get. Nothing ever phases him and he has relaxed over the last few weeks adding some extra touches to his portrayal. Electricity will always be his standout and again this was nothing short of remarkable. Paired with Nathan, express was fun filled exuberance. Nathan will surely be remembered as a Michael legend.

Wendy Summerville and Robbie Durham performed as Mrs W and Tony for the last time and gave it everything they had. David was on as Dad for the matinee, with Deka resuming his legendary role for the evening.

The matinee, with Euan on board, was greeted with possibly the loudest road ever heard as the curtain went down at the end of the finale. That alone is testament to the quality of the shows that are currently on display. Next week is going to very special for many reasons.

Performing what could have been his penultimate show, Euan produced a moment that will live long in the memory. As he completed Electricity with his wall flip the audience erupted. He took his time savouring the ovation and it appeared that he looked at everyone who was standing, acknowledging their support.

The house mouse had decided to return for the last week and was last seen scurrying around the bar in the foyer.
Real Geordie
Ballet Girl

Re: April 2016 Reviews - London

Post by Real Geordie »

Not really a review as such, just a few comments. I decided on the spur of the moment to visit VPT on Monday 4th, so a mad dash for the train resulted. I can probably do Euston to Victoria on the underground wearing a blindfold now. Euan was Billy on this occasion, and what a great little performer he has become in a short period of time. The box of superlatives is empty by now, and there is no need to repeat what has been said by many others. Just a great performance by another great Billy . His Electricity brought the audience to its feet, and a kind of feedback loop developed. He smiled, the applause grew louder. This caused him to grin, and the audience in turn responded with even louder applause and cheering. This continued to escalate for a quite lengthy period, with Euan soaking up the atmosphere, a huge smile on his face, before grabbing his bag and departing from the stage. One of no doubt many memories for him.

The new feature was that as the finale came to a close Deka stepped forward to address the audience. He announced that a collection would be held after every performance in this final week, the proceeds to go to aid the East Durham Trust. The announcement was loudly applauded. Members of the cast were standing by the exits, rattling their buckets. I say rattling - probably more accurate to say rustling - as patrons were being generous with notes rather than coins. Good to see that some will benefit from what for many will be a melancholy time.
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

It was Brodie's "official" last night, last night :) Here are a few photos of the occasion. It was also the last night for all of the Ballet Girls and Tall Boy. David Bardsley made a speech and announced that was his last show as well. He said that when he started in the show his wife, who was in the audience, was pregnant. He then took the hand of one of the Ballet Girls and said "and this was her". It was a lovely touch and a fitting end to a wonderful show.

Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.
tzwicky
George

April 5, 2016

Post by tzwicky »

Not a full review ... just random thoughts from Tuesday night during my final Billython.

Tuesday night April 5, the Brodie, Ben and Connie show were ably assisted by my favorite Dad/George, David Bardsley.

The many times I have traveled to London for Billy, David has been on stage at my first show of a long or short Billython. I have no idea what sort of rotation he is plugged into but had I known when he was on with certainty it would definitely have determined whether I would attend. In both the Dad and George role he plays it a bit more low key, a bit not as menacing (!) as others and the way he does that one scene (with Posh Man) in front of the safety curtain is my favorite version of it. His lo-o-o-o-o-o-ng stretch for that cigarette is as fun to watch as it was the first time I saw it. Classic.

During my last 2 Billythons to London I have grown a bit to appreciate all the groans and moans of the various Debbies. Connie Fisher's Debbie is a prime example. She's tiny and she's got those crazy-long pigtails waving all about. She bugs her eyes and bats her eyelashes. She's impervious to the slights of her mom in class and plays Mrs. W's able second riotously every time. Like the Energizer Bunny, Debbie always takes a bead on Billy in any scene they share, but most often she's reigned in by her mom. Sorta sad, but Connie plays it for laughs as well.

Ben Robinson's Michael is a scream to watch especially when he's paired with Billy. The height difference between him and (the ever-growing by leaps and bounds) Brodie Donougher is a spectacle on it's own. When Ben attempts the smooch on Billy at the end of the part 2 opener, he has to grab Billy by the shoulders and drag him down to his level. It just makes the whole interaction a 1000 times more dear. And funny.

Brodie plays his response perfectly, not even hinting at being upset, but just maybe mystified at the thing even as he turns to grab the tutu that makes a special gift for Michael.

Ben makes the best of every asset he brings to the stage during "Expressing Yourself," twirling, directing the dresses, gasping in pain during his split and exhorting the audience to guffaw at his "Nutcracker" comment.

Then we have Brodie who has attained that special level of Billys in that he commands his stage (for me anyway).

He grabs the attention of every scene he's in, he tugs at the heartstrings of those who can feel during his emotional scenes like "The Letter" and the "Letter Reprise". And he's aware of every inch of the stage. Some young actors might tend to have a tunnel vision of what they need to do in their moments but Brodie, like a true pro expands his universe to include the whole stage and then the whole theatre.

When I first saw him after a few months at the beginning of this Billython Brodie reminded me a great deal of the American Billy Mitchell Tobin, who started as a Wee Billy and grew into a Tall Billy. Any Tall Billy can make the show more fun because he's a challenging force with any adult actor on stage even as he stands above the smaller young actors on stage. Brodie keys into the height advantage and plays it for all it's worth.

I like Brodie's Billy a great deal.

I'm so glad I was able to be there for his show last night, especially with the extra drama and all the flash photography allowed by the Billy people at this special performance.

David's pix above are a great example of a "final" night.

tzwicky
angelenroute
Billy

Post by angelenroute »

Billy Whiz wrote:David Bardsley made a speech and announced that was his last show as well. He said that when he started in the show his wife, who was in the audience, was pregnant. He then took the hand of one of the Ballet Girls and said "and this was her". It was a lovely touch and a fitting end to a wonderful show.
WOW!!! :shock: Very cool and sweet!

"Good writers define reality; bad ones merely restate it." -Edward Albee
Remi
Small Boy

Post by Remi »

Billy Whiz wrote:David Bardsley made a speech and announced that was his last show as well. He said that when he started in the show his wife, who was in the audience, was pregnant. He then took the hand of one of the Ballet Girls and said "and this was her".
Bless them <3
jmh2014
Tall Boy

Post by jmh2014 »

Wednesday

Bradley would get the evening off to an unexpected start as he took as nasty tumble off his bike during the opening scene. He soon jumped up laughing and couldn't wait to tell Tall Boy Noah about it as they chatted away.

This turned out to be a stunning performance from Bradley as he stole the boxing scene, mocking George at every opportunity as well as the extra one afforded when George's glove flew off during the sparring contest. His tutu routine was hilarious and he most certainly cut a forlorn figure at the end as Billy walked out of his life.

Lee Hoy was on hand to give his final performance as Older Billy and Dream Ballet was outstanding. Give the obvious rapport he has with all the Billy's one wonders why he was never the official Older Billy.

Connie was, as always, perfect in her role as Debbie. Her response to Billy's "me mam's dead" was wonderful and the expression when her offer was rejected was priceless.

Naturally the entire adult cast and ensemble were at the very top of their game and, I'm sure, buoyed on by a very loud and lively audience.

Of course the night would ultimately belong to Nat in his final show. He was completely relaxed from the moment he walked onto the stage and determined to enjoy every last minute. Express was as funny as always. Bradley made sure he got a good dollop of lipstick and Nat would win the his final shoe change race.

Angry dance was as powerful as Nat has produced and earned him a well deserved partial standing ovation.

There is very little more that can be said about Nat's Electricity. even in the last couple of weeks new moves have been added. Everyone who has seen it knows just how special it is. One can only hope that their is an official recording of it somewhere. In this case seeing really is believing. He would receive a standing ovation which went on and on and grew in volume as the smile spread across his face.

The only time he struggled was during the Letter Reprise, but a couple of deep breaths and he got through it.

He really let go during the finale the enjoyment obvious to everyone involved.

There was no pre show announcement stating that this was his last official show. Maybe that allowed Nat to really enjoy himself without that added pressure. Either way he leaves at the top of his game and it has been a real pleasure to watch him grow into the role and become a truly outstanding Billy.
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

A few photos from Nat's last night, last night.

Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.
Fishcake
Small Boy

Post by Fishcake »

Amazing photos as always Billy Whizz. What a fabulous show it was, I definitely feel that the whole cast 'stepped it up'. A fabulous, responsive and very appreciative audience helped. What a great night for Connie's 'official last show' x
Then I saw her face
Small Boy

Post by Then I saw her face »

Phantastic photos and phantastic reviews. Thanks very much.

Return to “Reviews - London”