March 2011 Reviews - Toronto

porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: March 2011 Reviews - Toronto

Post by porschesrule »

Thanks for the great Toronto review, alexandre. One could gleen from your writing that you enjoyed yourself :D
Rich B
Technical Advisor
Technical Advisor

Post by Rich B »

Nice review, Nathan. :D
alexandre wrote:The performance I saw last Wednesday evening from the front row centre was “The One”.
In my experience, as soon as I say I've seen 'The One', another performance comes along to take its place. . . . and then another. . . and another . . .
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

I think you have put your finger on it, Rich. :D

That said, Cesar is indeed a wonderful Billy. I have not seen him in Toronto, but I did have the great pleasure of seeing him twice in Chicago, so I can vouch for the fact that he is excellent, as has been every Billy I have seen to date (and that's a lot of Billys).

I have not yet had the pleasure of seeing Dillon as Michael, but I do plan on remedying that situation with a trip to Toronto in June.
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
alexandre
Small Boy

Post by alexandre »

Thanks everyone for your kind replies, glad I could spark up this thread. 8-)
I often think that the “best” show you see is your first one and every subsequent show is compared to that. After all it’s the one that sends you down the merry path of madness, leading you to pi$$ your wages up the wall following the show to the ends of the Earth.
For me the spark was seeing Rhys Kosakowski defining perfection while doing his Dream Ballet. Seeing Cesar perform brought me back to that same distinctive thrill of my own first show.

Anyhow it’s beyond pumpkin o’clock and I should finish these musings on why Canada is so great, un-numbered and in no particular order… or relevance to the show :roll:

Niagara Falls
Whoa, the view is much better north of the border. Who’d have thunk water + gravity = such magnificence. A beauty only matched in scale by the horrendous tackiness of the surrounding commercial precinct.

The other lads in the show.
Flawless with the skip rope including some devilishly hard (I assume) crossovers. All have a very solid technique. Myles reminds me a bit of Rhys Yeomans in the UK, in stature and dance talent.

The adults Kate and Armand.
Seemingly more settled than when I saw both last year on Broadway and Chicago respectively. Dad gets much more of a laugh with the Scottish dancer in Toronto. A special mention to Jonathan Cullen who understudied Tony. A nuanced performance especially in the scene with the money and the scab.

Yonge St.
What a trip! There’s Billy, loads of takeaway places, good bookshops and a goodly number of… “adult” houses. It’s like someone’s scanned my brain and built its tangible representation.

Spunky bargirls and $6 moosehead pints at the Imperial Pub.
Nice. Good conversation too…

Colourful money.
It works in monopoly.

The ballet girls.
Particularly like their reactions in the post Solidarity vignette, esp. the girl who does “Yeah, but he was crap” then cowers away.

Toronto audiences.
So positive and appreciative. Not like those mean old Chicagoans… :lol:

Ice wine.
Yeah so its pretty much cordial but I can’t say I’ve got hammered on anything quite like it.

CN tower.
Who doesn’t like massive needles? :?

Ice hockey.
No wait, this should be in the things I dislike pile. Along with having too few exits from the theatre. It’s a trek rivaling Cartier’s journey to try and first, get out of the theatre and second locate the stage door in time to see the cast exit.

All in all, Toronto puts on a truly terrific iteration of the show. The evolution from first preview in Chicago has been profound. I wish it a long and successful run.

Stay tuned for my old pal KiwiT’s review once he has scraped himself off the floor and located his hamster following tonight’s show.
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

Thanks alexandre for the great review and your thoughts on Canada.

I can see I'm going to have to get myself to Toronto this year.
Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.
KiwiT
Small Boy

Post by KiwiT »

Great review Alexandre even if you did plagiarise some of my thoughts! :D :o

Anyhow I forgive you as you can put things far more eloquently than I can! :D :D

As for Wednesday nights show with Cesar and Dillon being THE ONE I have to say that Rich B was spot as their follow up show on Saturday nught was even better - absolutel magic!! I will try to do a review eventually but in the meantime just want to say that both Cesar and Dillon were just phenomenal. :D :D :D :D
61 Brilliant Billys, 44 Magnificent Michaels
dongringo
Debbie

Post by dongringo »

Great review. Thanks for your impressions alexandre.

My only questions is...what's ice wine?
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

I guess ice wine in Canada makes sense given this:
Canada and Germany are the world's largest producers of ice wines. About 75 percent of the ice wine in Canada comes from Ontario.[1]
Ellen

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
dongringo
Debbie

Post by dongringo »

shimmyshimmy wrote:
dongringo wrote:
My only questions is...what's ice wine?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_wine
Thanks. :D I guess I could have just looked it up myself, but I thought it was some type of home brew. ;)
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

I was thinking "wine coolers." :lol:
Ellen

Return to “Reviews - Toronto”