alexandre
Small Boy

Re: April 2011 Reviews - Toronto

Post by alexandre »

Time to wake this thread up.

Cesar/Dillon 23rd April (evening)

What price perfection?
What cost madness?

I could spend the day searching for synonyms and allegories and superlatives to define Cesar’s dancing … but it would be like writing out the notes to a Mozart symphony. I could replay in my mind and list all the pitch perfect, original acting touches Cesar puts into the show … but it would be akin to describing every brushstroke of the Mona Lisa.

To experience genius you have to be in its presence. You have to hear for yourself every note, see for yourself every motion. To have your mind filled with happiness and your heart uplifted with joy. And for a mere blink in the scale of a lifetime, know the true sense of perfection. On this Saturday evening, I was there. 8-)

This morning I watched another Latin master Lionel Messi scythe through the Madrid defence, it reminded me of the display I saw in Toronto. How thrilling it was to see such exceptional gifts performed with such casual grace. What a feeling it must be to hold such supremacy in the palm of your hand.

Fate has dealt that I could only be at Cesar’s 3rd last show and not the final. It is a fate that I’m still eternally grateful for. Now to wait through years of training to come before the man emerges. Maybe then I can experience that moment of singularity again. :cry: :mrgreen:

Ok, ok enough bad undergraduate poetry. :roll: :lol:
This stage in Toronto, this show BETM that I love so much, is too small, too inadequate to hold the talent of Dillon Stevens. Movie producers, start your bidding, the kid is a guaranteed superstar. Excellent ad-libbing when the camera didn’t work and Cesar beheaded the Barbie doll, improv not out of place at the Second City (where I went Sunday night, good laughs before during and after the 5 Mill St. Organics) :P

So, was seeing this combination one last time worth the thirty-one hours it takes to travel from my front door to the front row of the Canon Theatre? The massive chunk cleaved out of my bank account, the incredulous looks of customs officials, the DVT’s currently migrating to my lungs, the impending psychiatric referral? :?

What price perfection? It is priceless.

What cost madness? Well, instead of this trip I could’ve spent Easter bathing in Dom Pérignon and inhaling Ossetra caviar. I still think that would’ve been less enjoyable.

I just wish my old pal the late KiwiT was there with me to see it. :(

Random rambles:

I saw the Sunday show with Marcus. My word he has grown in 5 weeks, physically and in ability. His Electricity is exquisite with some superb turns and flips, great to see. His build looks perfect for a life in dance, less so for a life as Billy. ;)

I actually got hooked on watching some ice hockey! Love the hits and the skill of the skating, though I still can’t spot the puck. Maybe I’ll watch the Stanley Cup playoffs here if there’s no cricket on, or soccer, or aussie rules, tennis, golf, cycling, darts, snooker, late night poker, athletics, swimming, formula one. But I will watch it in front of rugby league. :D

Ah Toronto, better the second time around. I’ll miss your clean streets, shawarma and entertaining homeless people. :P

Greetings to the fellow fans I met this time. An addiction shared is … still an addiction. :oops:

By the way, when I said “late KiwiT”, I meant he is late writing a review of the time we both were in Toronto. I do believe he’s very much alive (though maybe not the scalp follicles). :geek: :mrgreen:
dongringo
Debbie

Post by dongringo »

:lol: Once again another entertaining read. I wish I could take a peak inside your mind just to see what makes it tick. :lol:
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )
KiwiT
Small Boy

Post by KiwiT »

Ha Ha Alexandre another excellent review. :D :D
alexandre wrote: I just wish my old pal the late KiwiT was there with me to see it. :(
Yes I wish I had been there too and even more that I could be there for Cesar's final show but sadly it was not to be :cry: :cry:

OK Ok I give in - I will finally finish off my reflections of our March trip and post it shortly! :o But it won't be anywhere near as entertaining or clever as yours!
dongringo wrote::lol: Once again another entertaining read. I wish I could take a peak inside your mind just to see what makes it tick. :lol:
I wouldn't recommend that at all!!! :D :D :D
61 Brilliant Billys, 44 Magnificent Michaels
CJ-Rochester
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by CJ-Rochester »

dongringo wrote:Once again another entertaining read. I wish I could take a peak inside your mind just to see what makes it tick. :lol:
I second dongringo's comment. This review made my day Nathan. :D
:/

Return to “Reviews - Toronto”