Swan Song..!

cws8998
Ballet Girl

Swan Song..!

Post by cws8998 »

Not precisely sure where this belongs, but, here goes.

Given the last four years or so, I believe I've experienced the longest interval, the longest of agonizing droughts, without somehow and somewhere having viewed a performance of BE.
Hence, I was more than delighted for the second time from South Bend, IN, to make a return trip to the Canon for another weekend of BETM "therapy." But, without a doubt, it was also a nostalgic time for me, given my long affection and familiarity for the original Chicago Company, which of course, had since morphed into the Toronto group, and which we know very shortly now, will be permanently disbanded. It was truly a joyous weekend of theater, but filled with some very real late night sadness with which I had to cope.

I'm always reminded of the gentleman my age, about whom I quoted in a review of sometime ago, who suggested he had [and frequently still revisits] the film "The Sound of Music," over some 320 times. It was an epiphaic experience, as it transformed him to the world of that time, obscuring his own reality of "worries, woes, and conflicts." The tale of his habitual escapades always seems to provide me secretive support when I find myself having to explain to my colleagues in the coaching profession, my own addiction to Billy Elliot the Musical. Frankly, I still find it beats the hell out of other positive addictions which have helped sustain my sanity in recent years.

Although I must say, at least for this guy, who feels he was almost raised on the BE experience given some dozens of productions at the Oriental, the four Canon shows I viewed this past weekend were somewhat of a shadow of the Chicago ensemble to which I had become intimately close, sans Marcus, Myles, Broderick, and the ever confident comedian and explosively energetic Dillon Stevens, [Finding the superlatives to describe this kid, requires a dictionary]. Thankfully, since I've always felt it was Billy and Michael who carried the day both figuratively and emotionally for this musical, and who for me, most closely resurrect my own youthful experiences, the restructuring of most of the adult principles along with the addition of Ty and Julian, all, seemed so "right on," and so true to form of the beloved crew I remember from last year's run at the Oriental.

This weekend found BETM providing me the same magical journey I always seek viewing this show...that of being personally transported along with the audience into the very lives of all the performers, given how one relates to the "trouble and anxieties" of their individual characters.

The ever competent, delightfully gifted, and seasoned pro, Marcus Pei, never fails in leaving one exhilarated given his long impeccable lines and his ability to draw the audiences' appreciation into his wonderful persona. I have never for a moment lacked inspiration from this youngster's presentations, consistent from his Chicago debut, and now, to the very end of his prolific career as Billy Elliot. Having viewed him so many times over the past year, my admiration for his contributions to this musical leaves nothing whatsoever to be desired, when measured against an extended lineup of superb Billies I've witnessed over such a long stretch of time and global space. Indeed, sitting in a front row aisle seat on both sides of the orchestra for all four shows...[absolutely perfect], Marcus took me on a journey of intoxicating artistic beauty, which I believe served as an ultimate conclusion of the great Billies that preceded him. All I can say is, bless him for permanently instilling that memory for me.

And, for goodness sakes, what can one say about Myles? He still amazes me with the absolute elegance of his own artistry given the petite, tiny package of dynamite I also first witnessed a year or so ago in his Oriental debut. There is such an element of grace, a vulnerability, if you will; an element of dignified beauty to his dancing and presentation. Watching him in BETM gives me cause never to forget the sparkling innocence of his winning performance of Kavalier's Waltz in his Bedazzled You Tube competitive presentation. I would only hope this wonderfully talented youngster has the opportunity to carry his skills to another BE company if he so chooses to press on. Future tour, anyone? New York's Imperial..?

I do admit to have had an apprehensive buildup of seeing Julian and Ty slotted in the role of Billy, given the consistent magnificence of the likes of Chicago veterans Tommy, Giuseppe, Cesar, and JP, all to whom I had become so enamored during their extensive runs. But, my goodness, never should I have worried for a moment. Now, having experienced their own interpretations, I'm almost ashamed to admit I had any doubts whatsoever whether or not they could fill the bill. It certainly teaches me a lesson in that one has to be very careful when thinking "so and so Billy" is absolutely the best thing since "yum-yum" bread, and that no one will come down the pike to replace him [them[. Julian and Ty demonstrated so vividly to me the long parade of heart rendering individuals in whom we all can take solace. We should know they will always keep alive the depth of our emotional investments, evidenced perhaps, in the cathartic messages for which we may come to cherish so much from these youngsters. I really did feel so richly elevated by Julian and Ty's pure acting abilities. As any of those I can long remember, their emotional ranges provided me an ease in which to interject myself into their depths of frustration/clout, so present in their "Angry Dance," and "Electricities." A pure pleasure to enjoy.

Well, I do apologize for being excessively long here. It does seem like a swan song...I've written so much about the Chicago/Toronto Ensemble, both of which have provided me more moments of joy and exhilaration than I can possibly enumerate. You [the casts] will long be remembered even as I press on to NYC in three weeks for another go of it at the Imperial, and to St. Louis in November. Both, my next Billy "fixes." Also, may I express appreciation to Shimmyshimmy and Liam for their hospitality and welcoming this stranger to Toronto and engaging me in their wonderful conversation about this musical, and specifically the shows throughout the weekend. It's a relief to know there are a couple other "nuts" besides myself out there for whom this musical means so much and who can't wait for the next show to begin.

Deepest regards to the Forum...see you at the Imperial in three weeks for another weekend of bliss. My Best, Colin
CJ-Rochester
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Re: Swan Song..!

Post by CJ-Rochester »

Great review Colin! I loved it. Not too long at all. This amazing Toronto cast deserves all of the great tributes we can give them. :D
:/
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

Don't forget that we have a THANK YOU TORONTO CAST thread here:

http://www.billyelliottheforum.me.uk/fo ... 197#p60197

Everyone please post your messages to the cast. I will tweet the link on our twitter and link it on the BETM facebook pages.
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
angelenroute
Billy

Post by angelenroute »

cws8998 wrote:I'm always reminded of the gentleman my age, about whom I quoted in a review of sometime ago, who suggested he had [and frequently still revisits] the film "The Sound of Music," over some 320 times. It was an epiphaic experience, as it transformed him to the world of that time, obscuring his own reality of "worries, woes, and conflicts."
I love The Sound Of Music, but seeing as they end up being hunted and shot at by Nazis, it's not exactly the most relaxing of movies either. ;)

Sean
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

So do I. :D
Ellen

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
cws8998
Ballet Girl

Post by cws8998 »

Please do move it to the "thank you Toronto" thread for me, if administration feels it may qualify well enough. My gratitude. Colin
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

I have put a copy of the post in the Thank You thread. :D
Ellen

johnnyc
Mr Braithwaite

Post by johnnyc »

angelenroute wrote:I love The Sound Of Music, but seeing as they end up being hunted and shot at by Nazis, it's not exactly the most relaxing of movies either. ;)

Sean
When I was in Austria, I was told the locals avoid the musical because of several minor inaccuracies. (1) You can't cross the mountain from Austria into Switzerland - seems that Germany is in the way: (2) The vonTrapp family was on tour in America when they "escaped," by simply not returning home. :shock:

So you see, Sean, no one really shot at the family. The worst that could have happened would be someone tossing a tomato or rotten egg at them if they were singing badly. :lol: But I loved the movie too.
angelenroute
Billy

Post by angelenroute »

johnnyc wrote:You can't cross the mountain from Austria into Switzerland - seems that Germany is in the way
On the DVD or Blu-Ray for the movie, they mention this too, saying that if you crossed right where they do in the movie, you'd be marching right into The Eagle's Nest, Hitler's lair so to speak. I thought that was so funny too. :lol:

Sean

Return to “Chat About Billy Elliot the Musical - Toronto”