Tall boy?

KR200
Small Boy

Re: Tall boy?

Post by KR200 »

I have always wondered why Tall Boy doesn't dance in the Finale. We know they can tap because they understudy the role of Michael.
Chicago
Billy: Giuseppe x1, JP x2, Marcus x2, Tommy x1, Cesar x2
Michael: Keean x4, Dillon x3, Jack x1
Debbie: Maria x8, TB: Spencer x6, Kennedy x2, SB: Mark x6, Elijah x2

NYC
Billy: David Ax1, Tanner x1, Trent x1
Michael: Keean x1, Frank x2
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

Michael doesn't tap in the finale either. I think that having one non-adult male other than Billy dancing the finale would look quite odd.
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
athadj
Miner

Post by athadj »

I always felt that it is a shame the Tall Boy actors don't get to show their talent as well. Especially in the London production. At least in the US (it is my understanding) that they understudy the role of Michael?
I would think it fair that TB could be one of the Billies or Michaels standing in each day. But I guess that would be a problem with the scheduling and the shows that each boy is allowed to do. At least in London.
Athina

London
Liam x 1, Ollie x 4, Dean x 11, Rhys x 8, Aaron x 4, Scott x 9, Josh x 10, Ryan x 10, Adam x 6, Kaine x 7, Harris x 6, Harrison x 2
New York
Peter x 1
Todd
Dad

Post by Todd »

ERinVA wrote:Michael doesn't tap in the finale either. I think that having one non-adult male other than Billy dancing the finale would look quite odd.
I can understand the reasoning of setting Billy apart from the adults and the ballet girls by having him as the only boy out there tapping, but it seems like the Finale is a type of encore which should include the entire cast. It would be different if Michael and the tall boy didn't know how to dance, but clearly they do. So it seems a shame to not include them in the dancing during this number - especially the tall boy who has no other opportunity to showcase his dance skills.
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

I'm not sure about the tour production, because there are fewer ballet girls in the cast to start with, but I believe I'm correct in saying that in London and on Broadway, not all of them dance the whole finale, and neither does Debbie. Of course, Debbie and Michael do come on for their featured bows, but tall boy and small boy don't get featured bows. Originally, Debbie didn't get a featured bow either.
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
CJ-Rochester
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by CJ-Rochester »

Remember that Grandma does not tap in the finale either. She sneaks in from stage left at the end for the bows.
:/

Return to “Cast - Toronto”