Tracking Billy Elliot: Broadway - 2011/2012

mrmikerocks
Miner

Re: Tracking Billy Elliot: Broadway - 2011/2012

Post by mrmikerocks »

Will there be a final tally of the amount of shows each Billy has done for the entire run?
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

mrmikerocks wrote:Will there be a final tally of the amount of shows each Billy has done for the entire run?
The short answer is "Yes" -- in the next day or so.
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

Here are the final performance numbers for January, 2012:

Monthly Performance Totals

Total Broadway Performances for January = 8 (Broadway Final Total Including Previews = 1344)

Joseph - 2.25 (Cumulative Total = 131.75)
Peter - 2.25 (Cumulative Total = 137.75)
Tade - 2.25 (Cumulative Total = 43.75)
Julian - 1.25 (Cumulative Total = 44.25, including: Toronto - 27, Broadway - 17.25)
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

porschesrule wrote:mrmikerocks wrote:
Will there be a final tally of the amount of shows each Billy has done for the entire run?

The short answer is "Yes" -- in the next day or so.
As promised, here are the final performance numbers for BETM Broadway.

I had been concerned for a while now that the numbers the BETM company had provided to the media (1344 total shows, including previews, or 1304 “official” shows) did not jive with my individual performance numbers for the Billys. Of course, part of the problem was that BETM was just throwing out a total number, with no supporting detail as to what they were actually counting. So I was struggling with how I’d even begin to see where the differences were.

Finally, in talking with Forum member Steven King over this past week, he made the very good suggestion that I compare my numbers with those of the Broadway World weekly Grosses History report. I’ve provided a link at the bottom of this post for those who may not be familiar with that report and who want to see what I’m referring to here.

That report comes from data provided by each Broadway show to the Broadway Theatre League and is considered to be the “official” numbers for the show. Among the weekly numbers on that report is the number of performances on which all the other data for the week is based. It was that number that I compared against my internal spreadsheets and also to the daily reporting charts on the Forum.

It was a very tedious and time-consuming process, but it worked!! When the process was finished, I was able to exactly match my numbers to those of the Grosses History report. The final numbers are as follows:

Previews = 40, Official shows (Opening Night forward) = 1312 -- Total Performances on Broadway = 1352. In other words, 8 more performances than BETM was touting in the PR it sent out to the media.

In this process, I found several minor discrepancies from what I had been reporting on my charts at theskykid.com, mainly from the earliest days of the show. These were generally caused by transposition errors from the charts onto my spreadsheets, charts that were created before my time coordinating the capture of daily tracking information myself. I caught these this time around because I was double checking every entry made to the spreadsheets in the three plus years of data collection. As a result of these few corrections, adjustments have been made to the total performance data for a few of the Billys.

I've created a picture of a chart that summarizes the number of performances by each Billy and then the detail of how the totals were arrived at, broken down by month and year. If you compare these numbers to the Grosses History report in the link below, you’ll be able to see that the numbers provided on my chart exactly correspond to the Grosses report. You can also check this against the monthly tracking charts here on the Forum to see the detail.

http://s1058.photobucket.com/albums/t407/porschesrule

Link for the weekly Grosses History Report: http://www2.broadwayworld.com/grossessh ... &allall=on

In short, if the BETM company isn’t counting some performances, for whatever reason, I can’t imagine what that reason is. I, for one, will stand by the original data the show provided to the Broadway Theatre League as the official record of number of performances.
muck912
Tall Boy

Post by muck912 »

Thank you porschesrule for all your hard work. The numbers are always fascinating and really appreciated. I wish there were better records from the early days of London. A top 5 or top 10 list of Billys with the most performances worldwide would be the ultimate.
rickyfc
Small Boy

Post by rickyfc »

All of this looks like it was mind-numbing to put together and conclude. I love mulling over statistical data so all of your hard work is very much appreciated by me.
Brad
George

Post by Brad »

Here. Here. Great reading. Thanks very much
Cheers

Brad
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

Thanks for all your hard work on this, porschesrule. And thanks to StevenKing for making the recommendation of checking the Broadway World historical data.
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.

Return to “Broadway Archive”