"Finding Billy" Reprise at Lincoln Center

ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

"Finding Billy" Reprise at Lincoln Center

Post by ERinVA »

The "Finding Billy" documentary that originally aired on Channel 13 in NY prior to the opening of the Broadway show will be screened on Sunday, January 29, at the Walter Reade Theater at Lincoln Center at 4 PM. The director has added an epilogue bringing the documentary about David, Kiril and Trent up to the present, and they will be present onstage with the director at the event.
When the rights reverted to the director, he added an epilogue that brings the three Billy’s into the present. A tribute to the perseverance and sacrifice of the kids and their parents, this film now features new interviews with the multi-talented boys (who all jointly won the Tony Award for Best Leading Actor in a Musical for playing ‘Billy’). They will join director Joe Locarro onstage for a reunion.

http://www.filmlinc.com/films/on-sale/finding-billy

I very much wish I could go to this, but I can't. :( If you are a New York BETM fan, or you live close enough to travel in for this, don't miss it!
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
angelenroute
Billy

Re: "Finding Billy" Reprise at Lincoln Center

Post by angelenroute »

I was able to attend yesterday, as were at least another 6 or 7 superfans. The theater has 268 seats and it was completely sold out.

Before the movie, we mingled in a room across the lobby from the theater where professional photos were taken of each of the three Tony Award winning Billys and their families, as well as with Nora Brennan and Joe Locarro--and in 1-2 photos too with Dorothy Medico, Trent's dance teacher. It was great seeing David's mom and sister, and Kiril's mom. I'd seen Trent's mom and dad a few times recently. Of course they're all in the film, so that was great that they were able to attend. The photos taken here and at the Q&A were by some very professional photographers, so I imagine you'll be seeing them online somewhere pretty soon.

Also in attendance were Tony Winner Carole Shelley, Associate Choreographer Kate Dunn, and Broadway Billys Giuseppe Bausilio and Joseph Harrington (who all got called out as in attendance during the Q&A, with Giuseppe and Joseph asked to stand). The film was preceded by a short film about a girls' dance troupe comprised of "16 young dancers from Dance Theatre of Harlem, Joffrey Ballet School, Scarsdale Ballet Studio and Westport's Academy of Dance" learning and performing a great number previously created for adult dancers. When that short finished, the girls, all seated in the front row, came on stage for a quick bow and much applause before we watched the main feature.

Most of us have seen the Finding Billy documentary, or parts of it, on PBS or YouTube. But as the film came to its usual closing point, a black screen appeared with the word "Epilogue" on it, which we knew was coming but created instant excitement and buzz. Director Joe Locarro did an AWESOME job updating this film by starting the epilogue in grand theatrical fashion by showing each young boy starting their introduction from three years ago and then *transitioning* to their older, present-day self finishing the sentence. It was GREAT!!! :D And even though we all know they're older and had seen them recently, the transitioning from little boys to older teens with deeper voices was really a wow moment! You could hear whispers and murmurs throughout the audience as the excitement level was at a high.

They showed Kiril playing piano and doing ballroom dancing, David in behind-the-scenes shots of him filming his upcoming short film, and Trent in full ballet mode at ABT (so great seeing this tap and acting god moving beautifully in ballet at ABT). Each of the boys--guys--also spoke on camera a bit. The epilogue went back and forth with clips of their younger selves and them talking now, and it was so, so cool--and not just a little emotional when they showed shots of the Imperial Theatre and a brief clip from Closing Night!!!

Then of course as the film finished and the lights came on, the boys were brought up on stage right away to great applause and cheers.

And they were all great in the Q&A!!!!!!!!! They each spoke SO well and with such maturity, it was as if they were 15 years older than their younger selves, not just 3+. The Q&A was brief, but long enough to hear each of them speak a few times. Standout memories for me...

Kiril saying how constantly busy he is now with performing and applying for colleges.

David saying how he'd forgotten what an amazing rush it is being up on stage in front of so many people, especially at the last show, and how the adrenaline was pumping so much, and how great it was.

Trent talking about going to school and then having to head into NYC after school every day for a couple more hours of training at ABT, but how he absolutely loves heading into the city because it's so exciting "there".

It's only been three years since they started, but a full 5.5 years since they really started with the auditioning and all, so the difference in each of them was really fun to see. I think David Alvarez summed things up well during the Q&A. He just has a sweet way of saying what's in his heart without thinking too much about it, so when he said, "I can't really explain it," several of us in our area couldn't help but think, "I haven't got the words".

We're only just moving on from Billy Elliot's first triumphant run on Broadway, but this film--and especially the epilogue and Q&A--were a wonderful way to take a look back and a look forward at "what's next" for the boys, the show, and us all.

We called to Director Joe Locarro after the Q&A (we were in rows 2 and 3) and he stepped down off the stage to chat with us. Really nice guy by the way! He said that unfortunately he couldn't get the rights to release this on DVD, so we'll just have to watch for it on PBS. I got the impression too that the new version with the epilogue won't be circulated. That would be a real shame if that happens. But I know that these things have a tendency to show up sooner or later, so I won't lose hope!

Keep an eye and ear here on the Forum for all the newest information on all things Billy as usual! :D

Cheers,
Sean

"Good writers define reality; bad ones merely restate it." -Edward Albee
angelenroute
Billy

Re: "Finding Billy" Reprise at Lincoln Center

Post by angelenroute »

Some of you may know this, but I didn't. David said that his last show was on a Sunday, and on Monday he was back to school. He said it was really weird. As he put it, it was strange to have thousands of people cheering for you on stage and then the next morning just be sitting in a classroom.

Return to “Broadway Archive”