The Jungle Book

atreyu
George

The Jungle Book

Post by atreyu »

Those within striking distance of Boston owe it to themselves to catch The Jungle Book while it's in town the next 4 weeks. I went into this past Thursday evening's performance not sure what to expect for such a simple story. Indeed, it is not to be regarded as high drama, but the presentation and especially the music performances are excellent. The jazz interpretations of familiar numbers (Bare Necessities, I Wanna Be Like You, etc) together with authentic Indian influences (sitar, veena) succeed brilliantly and provide a unique theatre experience. Included in this is having musicians in full costume come right up on stage and perform their solos.

Was hoping to see some more knock-your-socks-off choreography a la Newsies from Christopher Gattelli, but this was more muted. Appropriate for animals in the jungle, and for me, the dancing blended into the background rather than stand out front.

As to the protagonist, unlike Billy, Mowgli is rather too young to carry the show. There are plenty of "That's so cute" moments :roll: for those who appreciate that. Mowgli capably ties the scenes together and Akash Chopra demonstrates some very good vocals along the way. But imho, it is what is going on around Mowgli that is more the attraction.

The BU Theatre is cozy enough for mezzanine/balcony to be fine vantage points. Don't need to be right up close for this one.

Not sure I can say it's worth a special long-distance journey just to see The Jungle Book, but combined with other Boston activities, it's a can't miss. Yankee fans that may be visiting Fenway this weekend and all depressed from those results can easily drown their sorrows at the BU Theatre. :P
rob_hanson1979
George

Re: The Jungle Book

Post by rob_hanson1979 »

I haven't seen it but I've seen pictures and coverage on some Broadway news sites, and it looks like a cute producton. I can't see it having a long run on broadway, but it could probably do really well on tour.
I'm surprised they cast Mowgli so young. They could've easily gone with an actor the same age as the Billy's(someone like Mitchell comes to mind) but it sounds like they've worked the story around it.
One thing that really stood out for me was the Baloo costume. Instead of just putting a guy in a fat suit, they went the creative route and I think it looks really cool!

Return to “Discuss Other Touring Shows - US/International”