Newsies

CJ-Rochester
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Re: Newsies

Post by CJ-Rochester »

Ben Cook and the cast of Newsies celebrated National Dance Day from this rooftop in Toronto, where they are currently on tour:

https://www.facebook.com/Newsies/videos ... =2&theater
debbiefan
Tall Boy

Post by debbiefan »

Well. I just found out I am sitting in row n In orchestra and I'm in middle what I think. I am seriously counting down the days till I see it.
Billly ELliot
Denver: Lex as Billy Griffin as Michael and River as Tall Boy
CJ-Rochester
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by CJ-Rochester »

Yesterday I saw "Newsies" in Toronto, the final show of its long summer run there. It was nice to be back at theater where BETM played in 2011, then called the Canon, now the Ed Mirvish Theatre. It was also great to be sitting in the front row along with two other Billy fans.

I loved the show, even more than when I saw it on Broadway. Ben is a fantastic Newsie! It was great to see him on stage again doing what he loves. Even if you saw "Newsies" on Broadway, go see it on tour. They have a really great cast!
Todd
Dad

Post by Todd »

CJ-Rochester wrote: Ben is a fantastic Newsie! It was great to him on stage again doing what he loves. Even if you saw "Newsies" on Broadway, go see it on tour. They have a really great cast!
Did you have a chance to visit with Ben after the show to find out if he plans to continue with the next round of tour cities this coming winter ? It's coming to Kansas City next February and I was hoping he would still be with the show then.
CJ-Rochester
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by CJ-Rochester »

Todd wrote: Did you have a chance to visit with Ben after the show to find out if he plans to continue with the next round of tour cities this coming winter ? It's coming to Kansas City next February and I was hoping he would still be with the show then.

Yes, I did have a chat with Ben at the stage door after the show. He is staying with the tour. They are on a two week break now, and then begin year 2 of the tour Sept. 15 in Madison, WI. Anyone interested can see the schedule here:

http://newsiesthemusical.com/ticket/
Todd
Dad

Post by Todd »

Glad to hear he's staying with the show ! Thanks for checking.
CJ-Rochester
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by CJ-Rochester »

The Newsies tour arrives in Rochester this week. Even though I just saw it in Toronto six weeks ago I am looking forward to seeing it again Wednesday.

This is also the final week for many of the current cast. Starting next week in Hartford, there will be six new cast members taking over for most of the leading characters. Ben is staying with the show.

http://www.broadwayworld.com/article/A- ... t-20151005

https://www.facebook.com/Newsies/photos ... 43/?type=3
muck912
Tall Boy

Post by muck912 »

My daughter & I saw Newsies with $51 cdn ($37 usa) rush tickets in Ottawa on Sunday. (7th row of a packed, large theatre). It was the 4th time we have seen it. Once in NYC with Giuseppe as "Race" and now three times on tour, twice with Ben Cook as Race. Ben was spectacularly good once again. He has a big role. He did a number of aerials and was the chief ballet Newsie. The Fansies were out in force at the stage door. Ben was affable and accommodating as always. Ben said he will be leaving the show before the end of this season. If you want to see him in this role I'd hurry. Ben has announced on social media that he and a fellow Newsie have bought an apartment in nyc.
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

I just returned from seeing Newsies at The Straz in Tampa. This large theatre seats 2600; I would guess there were over 2200 seats filled at the matinee. I last saw it at The Boston Opera House in June.

The whole cast is stunning, as is the musical itself. How they manage to transport the set (three moving, three storey girder floors) across the continent is quite a feat to imagine. Every actor threw themselves in their role; and no one with more intensity than Ben Cook. The choreography is astounding, as it the singing. The audience was enthralled. Ben was fantastic! Also wonderful was Joey Barriero (Jack Kelly) who I recall from last year's production of Witches of Eastwick at Ogunquit.

I did not have a chance to speak with Ben; after the finale one of the actors explained that the entire cast would be at the exits, in costume, with buckets, to collect money for the BroadwayCares/EquityFightsAids drive. Indeed, they were there, for photos, buckets in hand, overflowing with cash. What a wonderful thing to do, and what a treat for the audience to be a part of something so worthwhile. Sadly, in the crush I was unable to locate Ben to congratulate him for an absolutely first rate performance.

Andrew Meacham gave this show a glowing review in the local paper, the Tampa Bay Times, which ended thus:
The result is a three-dimensional immersion in an exuberant story that has never felt more relevant. Newsies builds, layer by layer, an experience racheted to successively higher planes over two acts. The conflict is real and about something, the execution extremely well done, and the dancing is just jaw-droppingly good.

I have not enjoyed a musical more in years.
http://www.tampabay.com/things-to-do/st ... ls/2253538
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

Disney posted this last week.....Ben Cook can be seen as Race (with the cigar) - he pirouettes at 1.22.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7Y-t0wg2_k

Return to “Discuss Other Touring Shows - US/International”