2014-15 BETM Tour Cancelled

kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Re: 2014-15 BETM Tour Cancelled

Post by kport »

BillyBob wrote:I was not really sure where to post this question, so feel free to move it.
Can anyone give a general idea of what it costs for a theater to bring in a average to large national touring show for about a 16 show run? I know that there a many variables involved, but I'm just looking for a rough estimate. Thanks.
That is an almost impossible question to answer, given that there are so many variables.

However, you can come up with a very vague idea by reverse thinking it: Take the Ogunquit Playhouse, for example, which would expect a major show like BETM to produce a surplus:

Total seating = 668.

Estimated average seat price for BETM: $60 ($39-80, but a number of seats will be member concessionary priced)

Maximum take per show = $40,080.

One industry figure I have heard, that determines the break even point for a Broadway-class show, is 80%; hence the production costs are ca. $32,400 per show.

Multiply that times all 40 shows would indicate something in the vicinity of $1,300,000 to cover the basic production costs of BETM (gross take for the run could be $1,600,000).

Of course, that is open to huge variables. Somewhere just south of $1,500,000 would be my guesstimate. Bear in mind the OGP uses a lot of volunteers; the theater expenses are at cost only; and the theater receives a lot of sponsorship and membership donations - so the actual production costs could be lower.
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

Has anyone heard any news from The Theater League in Wichita regarding the touring production of BETM?
I have had not response to my email. Is there any update on Raleigh?

I notice that the Theater League website is down.
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

I have had no response to my email to the NC Theatre Company.
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

Back the truck up!!!

This just popped up:
Billy Elliot The Musical
Sep 30–Oct 5, 2014
The award-winning musical based on the international smash-hit film.
http://miami.broadway.com/venues/theate ... /schedule/

Is it for real?
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

This is all very weird. Either just the Dayton venue was cancelled or that theater was incorrect in saying the BETM tour for all of 2014 was cancelled. If the dates for Miami had been in 2015, it would be more understandable -- that they cancelled the early dates of the 2014-15 season but not the whole tour. But with these dates being BEFORE the Dayton dates (which were in November), I'm totally flabbergasted by what's going on.

If there is indeed a new BETM tour being mounted, the producers should be flogged for lack of good practice in promoting/publicizing it.
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

Examining the theater's actual calendar, those dates are 'blocked off' for an event (you will see that all future dates after July are blocked of with the word 'Parking' and the time(s), which I presume are (and seem to fit) performances. So, something is penciled in for those dates...........

http://www.arshtcenter.org/tickets/calendar/ (scroll to September/October)

The Ziff Opera House accommodates 2400:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ziffb ... terior.jpg

I do not want to disparage any other venue that may have announced a possible tour, but this is a major one:
Adrienne Arsht Center for the Performing Arts, commonly called The Arsht Center, is Florida's largest performing arts center and is located on Biscayne Boulevard in the Omni neighborhood of Downtown, Miami, Florida, United States. It is the second largest performing arts center in the United States.
tzwicky
George

If it pans out .......

Post by tzwicky »

If a Miami stop for BETM occurs, I am taking total responsibility for even the dream that it finally might happen.

I have been flogging my local PAC, seeing as how the bonds for the place are part of my property taxes or millage or whatever.

ON the other hand, it would be just my luck to get the show on the calendar of the Miami PAC just as events of the overall tour work against this actually happening.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, the individual ticket for each performance will be 2-3 what I pay in London, but on the other hand, I can ride my bike to the theatre in Miami, and there's only the parking charge as an extra charge, as opposed to the add-ons I need to consider when BETM anchors a "vacation break" for me which it has been doing consistently since October of 2005.

Fingers crossed, toes crossed, eyes crossed, brow furrowed. The Episcopal church (in a pretty great cathedral) is headquartered just 2 blocks from the Miami PAC. Perhaps I need to stop in and light up a whole rack of those candle thingies.

tzwicky
Borrobil
Ballet Girl

Post by Borrobil »

Fingers crossed indeed. I notice the end logo is "Key Brand Entertainment" whose subsidiary "Broadway World" presented the last tour, so that gives significant hope.
~ Paul ~
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

Many venues that bring in tours are part of Broadway Across America, which is the logo I see at the bottom of the page.

There certainly seems to be something going on about a new tour, but we just don't know what yet.
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

Key Brand Entertainment owns an interest in NetWorks Presentations, which actually produced the last International Tour. It is the major company that owns Broadway.com, BroadwayBox.com, The Boston Opera House and two other major venues. It is the company behind Broadway Across America, which has 15 major shows on Tour as well as 9 on Broadway.

As such, it is in the best position to relaunch a North American tour of BETM in the autumn, if indeed it is on the cards.

Return to “International Tour Archive”