National Lottery Appearance

KeefyM
Michael

Re: National Lottery Appearance

Post by KeefyM »

As someone who has worked in the television industry for 17 years it is more than likely the Billy performance was dropped (or scheduled for another week) as the simple fact is in the world of television and especially in live television just because something has been recorded for a show doesn't necessarily mean that performance/VT will be guaranteed to be shown or be scheduled at all, so the Billy performance could be dropped completely and never be shown and the BBC will certainly not put dropped material on iPlayer as they have no obligation to and have no obligation whatsoever to show the Billy performance or any performance they pre-record for the show.

As a couple of examples we had 2 hours worth of VT's and performances we never showed and dropped during Children in Need in November and we are filming a few sketches in February for Comic Relief in March but just because we're spending money on them and filming and editing them doesn't mean those sketches will get shown on the night of Comic Relief.

I'm beginning to wonder if the Billy performance was for this Lottery show since I have the format, synopsis and guest list for the entire series and there is no mention of Billy (however, BETM could have been a last minute guest change/addition). Also, the format of this particular lottery series doesn't lend itself time for any musical or music performances, only interviews during the lottery draws as per all episodes so far.

All the Quiz Show parts were pre-recorded back in November and December at BBC Scotland in Glasgow and the live Lottery draws are done from Pinewood Studios and inserted as live into the pre-recorded quiz show element and the live lottery draws part would have been where the VT of the pre-recorded Billy performance would have been, so it seems it was dropped or someone at BETM on their Facebook page has had a shocker as the performance was only mentioned on Facebook and there was no mention on the official BETM Twitter or elsewhere, but obviously the cast have recorded a performance for some show.
OliverWaters
Ballet Girl

Post by OliverWaters »

There are occasionally performances on Wednesday draws - my favourite band Blondie did once :D
Occam's razor: The simplest answer is the most probable.

Oliver's razor: The most boring answer is the most probable.
KeefyM
Michael

Post by KeefyM »

Yes, but the format of the Wednesday draws/show is different to the Saturday show and allows for performances, and on the majority of Wednesdays now there is no live or pre-recorded lottery show, just a caption with the winning numbers after the ten o'clock news.

Anyway, it was only episode 3 of an 8 part series so the Billy performance might be shown in the future as the guests and VT's to be inserted into a live element of a show change all the time and dropped VT's are held on standby (i.e. might still be used) until the series ends, so we'll see what happens :D
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

Per the BETMUK Facebook page, Elliott and Tomi will appear on ITV1 at 4pm this Friday on the Mel & Sue Show:

https://www.facebook.com/BillyElliotthe ... 5080733561

https://www.facebook.com/melandsue
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

Thinking back to last month's non-appearance of the BETM cast on the Lottery draw show, is it not possible that minor children are not allowed to promote something which they cannot participate in due to age? That only adult cast could take part?

Can anyone recall any previous Lottery draw show that had minor children appear as part of the entertainment? The National Lottery is a form of gambling, and is restricted by age, just as are tobacco and alcohol products.
OliverWaters
Ballet Girl

Post by OliverWaters »

I love Mel & Sue's show,and I have Friday afternoon off, so yay!
Occam's razor: The simplest answer is the most probable.

Oliver's razor: The most boring answer is the most probable.
Borrobil
Ballet Girl

Post by Borrobil »

Good point Kport, I wondered that too. Frankly the whole thing is confusing :? . I don't see why there is an issue, but there is possible technical breach. Surely they would have thought about that long before the performance?

First, the National Lottery is not considered Gambling under the UK law (don’t ask why :roll: )

This appears to be chapter and verse from the advertising guidelines.
Download section 18 from http://www.cap.org.uk/Advertising-Codes/Broadcast.aspx
18.4 Advertisements for lotteries must not exploit the susceptibilities, aspirations, credulity, inexperience or lack of knowledge of under-18s or other vulnerable persons.

18.5 Advertisements for lotteries must not be likely to be of particular appeal to under- 18s, especially by reflecting or being associated with youth culture. Please refer to Section 32 for scheduling restrictions.

18.6 Advertisements for lotteries may include under-18s. No-one who is, or seems to be, under 25 years old may be featured gambling or playing a significant role.

18.7 Advertisements that exclusively feature the good causes that benefit from a lottery and include no explicit encouragement to buy a lottery product may include under-18s in a significant role.
Employment of minors is in the not an issue
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2005/19/section/52

Basically I can't see a problem, but there is definitely as issue to be interpreted :( .
~ Paul ~
Borrobil
Ballet Girl

Post by Borrobil »

:twisted: That means Billy breaks the law every night when he draws the Meat Prize Draw :lol:
~ Paul ~
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

Borrobil wrote::twisted: That means Billy breaks the law every night when he draws the Meat Prize Draw :lol:
Only in the UK production. North American Billys, Michaels and Small Boys are far better (ahem :roll: ) behaved (and involved) in that scene.........I really do prefer George's (Joel Blum's) 'hat trick', too ;) .
Borrobil
Ballet Girl

Post by Borrobil »

Never did get the tank, guess you have to be American, fun though.
?? Hat Trick.....
-looking forward to Fridays TV!
~ Paul ~

Return to “Publicity - London”