Tutu or Not Tutu?

A place of its own for polls

Should tutus be used as part of the promotion for the tour?

NO, never by anyone, male or female, who is responsible for promoting the show.
12%
Yes, it's okay for anyone who wants to wear one to do so to promote the show.
44%
Yes, but only if worn by women TV interviewers.
No votes
Yes, but only by the ballet girls as part of a promotion.
44%

Total votes: 34

ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Tutu or Not Tutu?

Post by ERinVA »

Speaking of opportunities for promotion, today there was a DJ on the Belle of Louisville, and people were line dancing. They could have had the Billy kids on there strutting their stuff. It would have been a great promotional gig.
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
ALLMIXEDUP
Small Boy

Post by ALLMIXEDUP »

Exactly the type of promotion that works and has no bad side. With lots of former and current Billys, they should be doing more of those type promotions.
rob_hanson1979
George

Post by rob_hanson1979 »

Hey, so if I can throw my 2 cents in...
As a male ballet dancer, I am familiar with the stereotypes that go along with ballet, as are all of you since you are so familiar with BE. Unfortunately those stereotypes are still out there. While I'm a firm supporter of anyone being themselves and wearing/dressing as they wish, I don't think men wearing tutus does BETM any favours. Anyone who is on the fence or not interested in seeing this show will not be enticed by seeing boys and men in tutus. In fact, I think it would have the opposite effect. I think someone who has kindof been thinking of seeing the show is more likely to be turned off by this.
It's sad these days that people won't see it as a humourous fun sight, which is all its meant to be. But from a marketing standpoint, I don't think this is the image that this amazing show should be projecting.
cws8998
Ballet Girl

Post by cws8998 »

Rob,

Had commented earlier on this subject, but simply wanted to applaude you on your point of view, coming, as it were, from the first hand of one representive of this form of artistry, and one who has experienced the negative tenor of suspicion regarding tu-tus on male dancers, particularly as an initial publicity gimmick for a truly serious and uplifting musical.

There's a long journey in this show to get to the flamboyant and loyous finale. It is there, it seems to me, that the gimmick may truly belong and seems, perhaps, appropriate at best as a conclusion to the show, giving credence for all to "be themselves." A memorable overture...but for an initial publicity gimmick to reach as wide an audience as possible...I think not.

Colin

Return to “Polls”