Total votes: 10

kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Re: transgender billy

Post by kport »

ERinVA wrote:
kport wrote:
I knew some interracial families in the Midlands in 1984. It was not unknown at the time. TG pre-adolescents were not even on the radar.
Are we sure that the character of Michael isn't actually transgender? As you say, it "wasn't on the radar" in 1984, but the condition certainly existed ( think The Danish Girl, for example), and I'm sure there were many people who would have greatly desired to medically transition if they had known they could. But such a thing was unavailable to all but a very few, and most assuredly not for the faint-hearted. Even today, the process is arduous, even if begun at an early age, and especially at an early age, takes a great deal of support and commitment from the child's family to help the child live as authentically as possible. In other words, to "always be him/herself.".

And where have we heard that message before? 8-)
I do not think it was covered, or even acknowledged, by the NHS at that time. The Danes were the trailblazers.
Borrobil
Ballet Girl

Post by Borrobil »

kport wrote:I knew some interracial families in the Midlands in 1984. It was not unknown at the time. TG pre-adolescents were not even on the radar.

I don't under stand that argument, boy ballet dancers weren't on th radar either so what? There were plenty of non-white miners in England, so probably mixed marrages, but that has nothing to do with the colour blind principle.[/quote]
ERinVA wrote: Are we sure that the character of Michael isn't actually transgender?
I think its likely....
The Cindy the doll implies more transgender, as is "no mens clothes in here" in Express. But the dressing up is more Transvestite, and the Kiss and "just warming my hands" is Cis-Gay. I think he is trying to work it out but has no frame of reference or role model except Billy (who wants to do "Girlie" dance) He refuses the opportunity to say he is gay to Billy.- what chance does he have.

In the final sceen of the film Older Michael visits the theatre made up and very Un-male looking but with a male partner. Gay and a bit TV I would guess, as most TS people prefer to dress down rather than stand out, but then people did dress up for theatre.

The BBC made a documentary "a change of sex" in 1979.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GG6AiD ... e=youtu.be Sorry that link is really boooring.after te first minute.
~ Paul ~
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

It answers the quote it addresses.
Eltonjohn
Miner

Post by Eltonjohn »

BETM: "the most expensive school play ever."