The cast schedule for the final two weeks at Sadler's Wells has been announced:

http://new-adventures.net/the-car-man/n ... lers-wells

Pat
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Matthew Bourne's The Car Man

Post by ERinVA »

If you have not seen this production, especially with Liam as Angelo, and there is any way you can work it into your schedule, book one of these performances now!!
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

The question is: will it come to North America?
Flyin high
Small Boy

Post by Flyin high »

Can anyone give me advice on the best seats at Sadler's Wells? I'm booking 3 tickets to see The Car Man. Trying to choose between back of the first circle, and front of the second circle. Both options are the same price. I'm tempted by the second circle as the seats are further forwards, but if it's really high up, would back of the first circle be better?
Westletonion
Miner

Post by Westletonion »

Saw this fantastic production yesterday at Sadlers Wells. Very fortunate that Liam played the part of Angelo and Layton that of Chad.
This showing is unique in that it has a proper full orchestra, unlike the regional productions where there there was recorded music.
(We were informed of this by another Forum member who was present and very enthusiastic about the show). It was also really gratifying to be able to congratulate both Liam and Layton after their highly energetic performances. It is so good to see these ex-Billy stars doing so brilliantly. And both so humble with it! If you haven't seen it - do if you possibly can.
patc
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by patc »

I made an extra trip over to London yesterday to see this and concur with everything Westletonion has said. This was some extravaganza of dance. When you think where Liam and Layton were 10 years ago and where they are now it is quite a lump-in-the-throat moment of such great satisfaction to see them both doing what they love to do and at such a premier level.

The (live) accompanying music we were treated to yesterday is nothing less than STUNNING and so innovative. In this theatre there is a significant (musician's) moat the full width of the auditorium between the stalls and the stage. We were in the second row stalls and could see some of the players in action, percussion being a major part of the score. If it could be hit, pounded, tapped, bludgeoned, hammered or even scraped it was there. There were, of course, some familiar "tunes" but, man, how they were re-invented is WOW. If I was going again I'd try for a seat in the front row to get a clear view of what was going on below (albeit needing an extra pair of eyes).

I was most grateful to meet Liam and Layton afterwards and to be able to congratulate them. I never had the pleasure to see Liam play Billy but had heard from other fans who were there from the previews that he was always the gentleman when mingling with them after the show. I know from my own experience that Layton was the same. Nothing has changed in that respect.

In reply to Flyin high, I would say that it doesn't matter where you watch this from. You'd enjoy it hanging from the roof in a strait jacket.

(Note that the front row of the stalls is BB and the second is AA)

Pat
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

This review of the production was posted by the NY Times on July 23. The attraction appears to have been the debut of Marcelo Gomes, of the ABT in NY, as Luca, but the excellent review mentions other dancers as well, with a bit singling out Liam as Angelo:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/24/arts/ ... .html?_r=1
Ellen

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
jenapen
Audience Member

Post by jenapen »

Just so letting everyone know so nobody gets too excited. This was filmed on Tuesday and Friday last week and I think it should be on tv next week (Sky Arts, Monday 3rd of August at 8pm). However both Liam and Layton were not in the cast that was filmed so don't watch it hoping to see them. It's a production worth watching anyway if anyone has Sky Arts and is interested though.
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

Celebrity guests' reactions to the show:

https://www.facebook.com/MBNewAdventure ... 2362801799
Ellen

Dancer
Ballet Girl

Post by Dancer »

I have seen this amazing show twice now at Sadler's Wells in London. The first time was on the Tuesday when filmimg was taking place. Sadly neither Liam or Layton were performing that night. I spoke to one of the cameramen after the show and he said they would also be filming Friday's show as well with the same cast. The best bits of both would be combined in the broadcast of the show on Sky Arts (last night). There may also be a DVD of the show as well.

Wanting to try and catch Liam and Layton, I saw from the schedule that they would be performing on Thursday 30th July and so got a ticket for that day! Another incredible evening with many of the cast undertaking different roles to those I saw earlier. That made it a very unusual and interesting experience! The dancing was spectacular and the worst part was who to concentrate on! Obviously, I was watching Liam and Layton more than the others but the whole team was so good.

Catch it if you can!

Return to “Discuss all other Shows - UK”