Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

Chat about other shows here
jon01
Miner

Re: Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

Post by jon01 »

More casting news:

http://broadwayworld.com/article/Nigel- ... -20130110#

I think that Nigel Planer will make a fantastic Grandpa Joe!

Jon
pickles
Small Boy

Post by pickles »

And another one..

http://westend.broadwayworld.com/articl ... Y-20130111

According to this, London's 1st cover Tony from before November's cast change, Kieran Jae, will also be part of the cast.
KeefyM
Michael

Post by KeefyM »

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory OFFICIAL TEASER TRAILER

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nI90z6f6M4A
angelenroute
Billy

Post by angelenroute »

KeefyM wrote:Charlie and the Chocolate Factory OFFICIAL TEASER TRAILER

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nI90z6f6M4A
Very exciting!!! Can't wait to see Matilda here in NY this spring, and great to see another one's coming up soon too!

Sean
patc
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by patc »

I hadn't any intention of seeing this but I have just noticed that Kate Graham (former fantastic Mrs. W in Billy) is in the cast so that's a mind-changing fact :D.

Kieran Jae has already been mentioned and another former Billy-ite Daniel Ioannou is also involved.

http://www.drurylanetheatrelondon.com/m ... tive-team/

Pat
AJ HOLDEN
Tall Boy

Post by AJ HOLDEN »

I was honoured to see the show on Thursday. Only the third preview show but there was no sign of nerves in any of the cast, many of whom where making their debuts.
The show stays fairly faithful to the book, no surprises there. I don't think there are any real stand out songs but there is some wonderful dialogue and one liners.
The sets were outstanding, already a hot contender for next years Olivier's for set, lighting, sound and costume. No expense spared there and I honestly don't know how they managed to fit so many sets on to the backstage area. There is so much technicals that there is high potential for things to go wrong. Thankfully the 2.5 hour show went without a hitch and looked spectacular for it.

Stand out performance was Jack Costello playing Charlie Bucket. He was already my favourite Gavroche and he simply stole the show as Gustave in Love Never Dies. (I have only ever rated Nick Robinson in the Caucasian Circle in 1997 as a better child actor, while Tom Holland is third on this list). As in Billy and Matilda, the leads simply have so many lines and scenes to learn, I am once again in awe that some one so young can achieve so much at such a young age. Jack was simply outstanding. Also like Billy he is barely off the stage for the whole show.
If the other three Charlie's are as good there could be some consideration for another group award for acting such as won by the Billy's amd Matilda's.

Also look out for Polly Allen, ex Keeley Gibson. She plays Veruca Salt and Peter Darling's wonderful choreography gives Veruca some lovely ballet dances. Veruca is played as a ballerina. Veruca's dad is just like Posh Dad in Billy.

I think the show will be a hit and critically well received. I won't be visiting as often as Billy but will certainly be back. The show more closely resembles Olivier Twist and is a bit twee in places, but you also shed a tear or two. I'm sure it will go down well with the Billy faithful and have no doubt will go to Broadway soon.

Alex
jon01
Miner

Post by jon01 »

I saw Jack Costello as Charlie at the first preview and agree that he was fantastic! He looked very at home on the Drury Lane stage where he played the role of 'Nipper' in Oliver!

Tom Klenerman performed as Charlie on the Sat 25th May matinee and was very good, this is his West End debut and he is slightly taller and has a deeper voice than Jack C

This is a huge and magical show, it's like watching a new version of the film. There are some massive and very creative sets, no other theatre would have room for it all! The Oompa Loompas are performed in a different way in each scene, all very clever! Only one number from the Gene Wilder film is included, 'Pure Imagination', but there are some wonderful new songs performed by an excellent cast

I think that the show is still in development until it officially opens at the end of June, it was obvious that there is something missing at the end of Act 2!

'A deliciously dark tale'

Douglas Hodge as Wonka:

ImageImage
Photos from: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/showbiz/new ... eased.html

Jon
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

Here is a not so positive review of the show from the New York Times's Ben Brantley:

http://theater.nytimes.com/2013/06/27/t ... gewanted=1
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
akugafi
Small Boy

Post by akugafi »

Will see this musical as well when I'm in London.

Most of the reviews are positive, I just ever read like one bad one.
Anyway, have to watch it myself. Thats the way to go. :)
patc
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by patc »

I saw this show this evening but no spoilers. I thought it was great fun with great sets and a cast that was obviously having a ball doing this one, none more so than former Billy-ite Kieran Jae.

Some critics have said that not a lot happens in the first act. I disagree but even if they were right I'd happily watch nothing happen if Jack Costello is on stage. This little gem carried the entire first act on his own little shoulders with such aplomb whilst at the same time getting to the essence of the character in his portrayal of Charlie. It was magical. I can't imagine there are many boys who have trod the boards at the Theatre Royal in two high profile shows (the other one was as Nipper in Oliver!). For Billy fans there is the added attraction of former Mrs. Wilkinson, the brilliant Kate Graham, to thoroughly enjoy. She is also alternate for some of the other roles.

I didn't come out singing any of the songs but that didn't happen the first time I saw Billy either. There are one or two that will stand out as time goes by.

The choreography was, as you'd expect with Peter Darling in charge, quite something bearing in mind all the "personnel" who are required to dance.

Would I go again? Definitely yes even though, obviously, the surprise elements would not be surprising on a second viewing. It's a great night's fun with goodness winning all the way. Bring the kids. They'll love it.

One downside. The back cover of the terrific programme has full size page ads for Billy and Wicked. Unfortunately, Billy is on the inside with Wicked on the outside. When I get home an "adjustment" will be made.

The West End probably can't believe its luck. Three massive and expensive shows running, Billy, Matilda and Charlie that wouldn't work without hugely talented children to carry them ....and they've got 'em.

Pat

Return to “Discuss all other Shows - UK”