HAMILTON - coming to the refurbished VPT

Chat about other shows here
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

HAMILTON - coming to the refurbished VPT

Post by kport »

Baz Bamigboye has his finger on the pulse of London's West End (his words have hung on the front of the VPT for many years).
Ruthie Henshall, Deka Walmsley and Brodie Donougher, who were in Billy Elliot at a matinee last week at the London’s Victoria Palace.
The show, by Lee Hall and Elton John, and directed by Stephen Daldry, ends its run there on April 9. I’ve seen it around the world countless times, but I love seeing it in London. Last week in the audience were young ballet girls with their mums and young lads — future Billy Elliots — with mates.
I will be at the final performance of the best show on the London stage, and then I’ll scoot up to Sunderland for the touring version. When I saw Daldry recently, he hinted Billy could return — but not to the VP, which is being refurbished in readiness for Broadway smash hit Hamilton . . . if it’s finished in time.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/ar ... z43tfrswZW
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: HAMILTON - coming to the refurbushed VPT?

Post by ERinVA »

That's interesting, not just because of the Hamilton part, but also the hint that BETM might show up at another venue in London as well.
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Re: HAMILTON - coming to the refurbushed VPT?

Post by kport »

Here is a further, more complete story:

http://www.broadway.com/buzz/183177/lin ... e-theatre/

It looks as though the Yankees are about to invade London!
Todd
Dad

Re: HAMILTON - coming to the refurbushed VPT

Post by Todd »

Glad to hear Stephen Daldry hinting that we might not have to wait years and years for Billy's return to London. Given its continued popularity and big crowds, I've felt all along that it would have probably continued at the VPT if not for the apparent required refurbishment of the theatre. I was hoping, though, that it would return to the Victoria Palace when it does return. It would seem strange seeing it at another London theatre.
Dancer
Ballet Girl

Post by Dancer »

I thought that Mary Poppins was in line to be the first show to be performed in the refurbished Victoria Palace Theatre. Perhaps that will now go into another of Cameron Mackintosh's theatres such as the Theatre Royal Drury Lane when Charlie and the Chocolate Factory closes in early 2017.
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

Dancer wrote:I thought that Mary Poppins was in line to be the first show to be performed in the refurbished Victoria Palace Theatre. Perhaps that will now go into another of Cameron Mackintosh's theatres such as the Theatre Royal Drury Lane when Charlie and the Chocolate Factory closes in early 2017.
As enjoyable as Mary Poppins may be (and I have grown to like it), the success of Hamilton on Broadway is such that it deserves a setting like the refurbished VPT, which alone will have London's theatre crowd amazed. I predict Hamilton at the VPT will be 'THE Show' in 'THE Theatre' in London's West End - a suitable successor to BETM.

The thought of 'colonial intrigue' being played out on stage within a short walk of Buck House is amusing!
Borrobil
Ballet Girl

Re: HAMILTON - coming to the refurbished VPT

Post by Borrobil »

kport wrote:I predict Hamilton at the VPT will be 'THE Show' in 'THE Theatre' in London's West End
I'm not so sure. Musical theatre fans and critics will love it, but I don't know the general population will warm to such an "American Values" show. School parties may be confused by the non-blind casting. European visitors have even less interest in American history than the British. That must reduce the odds of a long run. They'd have done better with Finding Neverland, but some speculate is that may go to Drury Lane.

Incidentally they will fill in the pit dug for Billy's stairs/bedroom, and put in a concrete foundation, so the Billy set will no longer physically fit the understage.
~ Paul ~
CJ-Rochester
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by CJ-Rochester »

This article says previews for "Hamilton" at the VPT will begin in October, 2017. (You have to scroll down a few paragraphs).

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... elina.html
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

Hamilton (Broadway) ticket prices have been raised - the best seats will cost $849 (approx 590 gbp)!

http://www.newsday.com/entertainment/th ... 1.11896866

It may be cheaper to hop a Norwegian Air Dreamliner from JFK to LGW to see the show when it opens there.
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

Return to “Discuss all other Shows - UK”