Tracking Billy Elliot: Oslo, Norway - 2014

porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Tracking Billy Elliot: Oslo, Norway - 2014

Post by porschesrule »

I’m setting up this tracking thread for the Norway production of BETM not knowing whether we’ll be able to get viable reports to verify the information. I’m hoping there are enough members of the Forum there who will see the shows and post the information here.

Like the St. Louis (MUNY) production of the show, there is just one Billy and one Michael (although there are supposedly understudies for them) and no listing at this point for who’s playing Debbie (one person or several?). If it is indeed just one of each, I guess we can assume that they’ll be on at every show, unless there is illness or injury.

Because of the language (non-English) barrier, I haven’t been able to make an arrangement for a reporting mechanism for this production of the show.

In other places, we’ve had various arrangements in place to get this information. Some examples:

*A large group of “regulars” who report the actors for each performance (London)

*A committee who took turns checking the lobby cast board and reporting who is on just before each show (Broadway)

*A Forum member who had a friend on the theatre staff who reported the info for each performance (Korea)

*A cast or crew member who graciously agreed to message me with the information for each performance, the reporting time varying from just before curtain to after the performance was over (N. Amer. Tour/Chicago/Toronto)

These methods all worked at one time or another. Again, because of the language, I haven’t been able to talk to anyone about whether a suitable arrangement can be made for this production of the show.

If any of the Forum members who live in Norway and have been posting on the various Norway threads have any ideas on this, please let me know how you think this might be handled.

Otherwise, it will be a shame if this is the first production of the show (excepting Australia) where we can’t track the performances as we have for all the other productions of the show.
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Tracking Billy Elliot: Oslo, Norway - 2014

Post by porschesrule »

Post Removed.
thm
Miner

Post by thm »

There's a schedule for the ballet teams including the Michaels (first line of that spreadsheet) and Debbies (second line) on
EDIT:
http://www.scenekvelder.no/nyheter/2014 ... eling-barn

On their facebook site, a question regarding the existence of an understudy for Billy was answered positively.

Language barrier : They all speak english. Just use their facebook site to communicate in english.I have a feeling they will appreciate every kind of interest in their production.
Until now they edit that site nearly every day.
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

thm wrote:There's a schedule for the ballet teams including the Michaels (first line of that spreadsheet) and Debbies (second line) on http://scenekvelder.no/2014/05/laginndeling-barn/
Yet the first week is not yet determined.
This is the translation from that link:
We have now divided the children into different layers. So to you who knows the great kids that will go in, take a look here so you can now book tickets for the layer you want to see. We 've broken down some of the shows now.
If the first and second names at the top of each group are those of Michael and Debbie, then why are there three names at the bottom, which are all male names, if only a Tall/Posh Boy and a Small Boy are required (as is the usual custom)? Will Posh Boy be separate from the role of Tall Boy, played by two actors? We may need someone actually there to find out on opening night!
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

Just a note on procedure...

Like in all the other BETM production tracking threads on the Forum, even though we have a schedule in advance, as we know changes often happen, sometimes at the last minute, I won't update the tracking chart unless there is confirmation from a source that documents the scheduled cast for a show actually did that show. This can be in the form of a post in the thread or a private message to me (or sometimes I pick up the confirmation from a Facebook page).

Therefore, viewers of this thread shouldn't expect to see a post on the "official" chart until within a half hour of a show's curtain time.
thm
Miner

Post by thm »

kport wrote:
If the first and second names at the top of each group are those of Michael and Debbie, then why are there three names at the bottom, which are all male names, if only a Tall/Posh Boy and a Small Boy are required (as is the usual custom)? Will Posh Boy be separate from the role of Tall Boy, played by two actors? We may need someone actually there to find out on opening night!
The three Michaels and Debbies introduced themselves in 2 of the first few videos on their (scenekvelder) facebook site. The names on the top 2 lines of that table correspond perfectly with what I sounded out.

The male names in the bottom of that sheet must be tallboy smallboy and who knows- maybe an extra posh boy???

However as I'll be attending 2 shows in the first week and then if a board or playbill will be available/visible from outside, I will shurely be reporting all shows including sunday.
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

Are some of these boys perhaps understudies? We know, for example, there has to be an understudy for Billy. They can't be going into this without some backup for Kevin.
thm
Miner

Post by thm »

They're really very openly reporting all activities on their facebook site. Yet I haven't seen on those many photos any boy other than the Michaels and Kevin who could be a Billy understudy. I understand they advertise the show with Kevin as figurehead but I can hardly believe they'd make an effort to hide the understudy. I boldly assume, one of the Michaels maybe even Thomas is also beeing trained to play Billy. Just in case. Maybe they don't intend to have the understudy doing a show except if really necessary. Maybe Kevin is actually supposed to do all shows except he drops. There are less than 2 months on sale.
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

thm wrote:Maybe Kevin is actually supposed to do all shows except he drops. There are less than 2 months on sale.
One would hope they have a good backup for Kevin. It's really tempting fate not to.

The experienced BETM creative people for all of the productions presented to date have recognized the stamina requirements of a Billy. Even for the one week MUNY production, there was a standby Billy. Illness and injuries can happen and it's a two month long production.
thm
Miner

Post by thm »

Well, they already stated, they DO HAVE an understudy. The question is: Who is it? Or why did he not happen to be on one of the many photos they publish? Wouldn't it be fair to give the understudy for such a demanding title role some recognition?

Return to “Chat About BETM - Norway (2014/15 Production)”