Reviews September 2014

thm
Miner

Reviews September 2014

Post by thm »

Wed, Sept 17th Dress Rehearsal

A terrific show. A completely new fantastic show. Well some details that are chiselled into the granite of my brain's Billy-Elliot-compartment - where some rebellious cells started to buck the new version - but I thought again and I see it all makes perfect sense.
The show begins with a projection. Not the mineworkers footage - instead a little introduction in writing. Then a cleft opens and miners sing 'Deep into the ground'. Thats when the last of doubts was vanished whether the show was of lesser quality than the London show. Clear strong voices a crisp sound and the lyrics fit in as if the music was written for norwegian. Many details in the show are a variation of the way it's done in London: Like 'Deep into..' the canvas lifts up when they pause the singing, the bottom tiles are taken aside - instead of the projection net is released and falls upon small boy. Speaking of small boy - there is no small boy at the beginning. And there is btw. no Tony in the first Kitchen scene. Or was he there?? He did not say a thing nor was he preparing placards.( I need to see the show again to make shure :lol: ) One funny thing: Most appearances are laterally reversed like when Michael stands right of Billy in the Boxing scene in London - here Billy stands right side of Michael. Speaking of the Boxing scene : There are 7 Boys training here.
But before it's going to be tomorrow afternoon when I finish reporting all details - there are a lot worth mentioning - I just make it short: All main and not so main actors were brilliant in acting, singing and dancing. The story of Billy in that time of hardship was interpreted the way we know it, in a different set and a different focus on details and seen from different perspectives. Sometimes I thought: Wow, they should incorporate that into the London show! Standing ovation at the end.
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Reviews September 2014

Post by porschesrule »

Thanks for the first review from Oslo, thm. The show sounds different, yet very promising. Glad to hear the audience appreciated it with a standing ovation.
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

That is a great review, thm. Please tell us more when you can, and have seen it again!
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

Yes, thanks for a great review, thm. Looking forward to hearing more.
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
Lola
Tall Boy

Post by Lola »

Thank you so, so much, thm! I'm looking forward to read more :D

I'm also keeping an eye on the various pages of Scenekvelder since they seem to publish lots of photos and videos of their productions.
(They have updated their photostream on flickr.)
thm
Miner

Post by thm »

Lola wrote: I'm also keeping an eye on the various pages of Scenekvelder since they seem to publish lots of photos and videos of their productions....
That one gives a good impression about the set:
https://www.facebook.com/Scenekvelder/p ... 60/?type=1

Btw. It's Big Davey in the pic, played by Øyvind (no surname yet) who happend to have his birthday yesterday
thm
Miner

Post by thm »

So I'm gonna continue the review for yesterday's dress rehearsal:
Btw. thanks to the company for the terrific seats I had won on their facebook site :D

Michael, who was played (not shure I assume) by Thomas Kvamme Urnes was absolutely fantastic. Some may not like the version of 'Expressing yourself' it is - how shall i put this - more colorful, they dared to interprete the role of Michael fully camp and blatantly swishy. The scene begins with the decorated wall flying in then Michael draws in and places the rest of his room. He's given more time than London before Billy enters. The interaction of both is really hilarious and I think they gave extra focus to that scene in rehearsals. You've seen already the Vegas-Girls on a picture they posted on facebook?! You should see that being performed. WOW!!! :D :shock: :D
Some word about Mr. Braithwaite: He's interpreted as the comical side role. Someone here one the forum I remember said he resembles to Beetlejuice. His antics are hilaroius. Well I find it a bit exaggerated.
Nils Ole Oftebro (Dad) is undoubtful an excellent actor and well known in Norway - not for no reason. His interpretation needs no extra polishing. He gave one of best Dads I've seen so far.
The same for Hilde Lyrån. She resembles much to the London Mrs.Wilkinsons which I like much. The whole shine scene is completely different and admittedly there are many details I like more. Like in London there are many scenes with action in the foreground, center and background at the same time. Yesterday I watched to ballet girls in shine pushing each other again and again :lol:
Billy123
Tall Boy

Post by Billy123 »

Thanks for the review. :D
angelenroute
Billy

Post by angelenroute »

Many thanks for these exclusive reviews!!! :D

Sean

"Good writers define reality; bad ones merely restate it." -Edward Albee
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

Please keep the great reviews coming! It is fascinating to read about new interpretations of an old favourite!

Return to “Reviews - Norway (2014/15 Production)”