Chat about Billy Elliot Denmark

simonp
Audience Member

Re: Chat about Billy Elliot Denmark

Post by simonp »

Saw this last night - has lots of good points but a few pretty bad ones too. (sat in the front row of the stalls)

As previously mentioned, the set is quite impressive at first with a (very clever) large rotating terraced house being the main feature however the novelty soon wears off as the rotation is rather slow and the stage hands get more stage presence than some of the cast! This also results in long musical interludes and members of the cast standing around waiting!

I'm sure people will hate me for this but I also found the Billy rather 'average'. Yes, he's a good actor, singer and dancer but his ballet was mediocre and, in fact, there is far more contemporary dance than other productions.

These niggles aside, the show was good. I particularly liked Mrs Wilkinson who had a great stage presence. Michael also came across very well. The orchestra was excellent. Of course, the whole thing is rather surreal (interested to note how familiar Danes are generally with Maggie and the Miners' strike?!)

Overall a good 'local' production but a disappointing 'national' one.
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

Thanks for your review simonp and welcome to the Forum!
Darth_Revan
Ballet Girl

Post by Darth_Revan »

I will go to see the show on Saturday!
I just need some help on the public transport in Copenhagen, if anyone can help, please send me a PM. Thanks.
---
István
thm
Miner

Post by thm »

Case you arrive at CPH airport, which I suppose, you best take the train to the Central Station. All trains (just not towards Sweden :o ) stop at København H (KBH H). You usually exit the transit area at Terminal 3 - just go straight ahead to the ticket machines. The building is formed triangular ending in one corner at the escalators up to the metro. At the sides are ramps and lifts down to the train platforms. The trains run usually all 12 mins. The ride takes 10 mins. At the Central Station leave the platform ahead (like nearly all do) then use the exits ahead at the opposite side. You can walk to the theatre. Pass along the 'Astoria' and turn left. Follow the main street until you see the Savoy's red neon on the right side of the street and turn right at the next side street. Now you can see the theatre.
PM me, any time! :D
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

Set designer Paul Farnsworth is featured in this video by the Det Ny Teater. In it, he gives viewers a glimpse of the BETM Denmark set.

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10 ... =2&theater
thm
Miner

Post by thm »

Billy meets Billy.
According to a posting on instagram, the Norwegian Billy Kevin Haugan and his family visited Copenhagen today and I suppose also the show.
http://instagram.com/p/zIbpDdwmVX/
Dancer
Ballet Girl

Post by Dancer »

One of the boys in the photograph is holding a Billy programme so it looks like they may well have seen the show :D.
Lola
Tall Boy

Post by Lola »

Dancer wrote:One of the boys in the photograph is holding a Billy programme so it looks like they may well have seen the show :D.
That is actually Danish Billy Nicholas holding a programme of the Norwegian production, so I'd think they swapped programmes or Kevin brought one as a gift :)
Darth_Revan
Ballet Girl

Post by Darth_Revan »

porschesrule wrote:Set designer Paul Farnsworth is featured in this video by the Det Ny Teater. In it, he gives viewers a glimpse of the BETM Denmark set.

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10 ... =2&theater
They put so much effort to build those sets and it really shows! They look impressive.
---
István
Dancer
Ballet Girl

Post by Dancer »

Lola wrote:
Dancer wrote:One of the boys in the photograph is holding a Billy programme so it looks like they may well have seen the show :D.
That is actually Danish Billy Nicholas holding a programme of the Norwegian production, so I'd think they swapped programmes or Kevin brought one as a gift :)
Thanks, Lola. I didn't recognise Nicolas! That makes sense :D .

Return to “Chat About Billy Elliot - Denmark”