BILLY ELLIOT returns to the USA!! (This is not a joke!)

mikey2573
Tall Boy

BILLY ELLIOT returns to the USA!! (This is not a joke!)

Post by mikey2573 »

Not sure where to post this so I will post it here and start one in the Broadway thread. The first regional production of BILLY ELLIOT has been announced. The show will play the Ogunquit Playhouse in Ogunquit Maine. I don't see any specific dates, but they play mostly spring and summer shows.

http://www.ogunquitplayhouse.org/2014
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Re: BILLY ELLIOT returns to the USA!! (This is not a joke!)

Post by kport »

Good grief.....my local summer theater! Well, somewhere in this forum is a post I wrote about regional theatres such as the Ogunquit Playhouse putting on regional production of BETM. The Playhouse runs a summer youth camp for kids - this year they took part in Joseph - so this may be a mix of professional actors and the camp kids. It will certainly be something to look forward to!
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

I can't see how they could mount a strictly local version of the show given the amount of training that the young cast (in particular Billy) would need, especially if this is a short run production. So there must be at least a partial professional component to it. Will be interesting to see how it shakes out.
mikey2573
Tall Boy

Post by mikey2573 »

I have seen shows at the Ogunquit Playhouse and they are an Equity theater, though they allow non-equity actors to fill out the ensemble. They usually put on quality productions. They will typically have "name" actors in the major roles --Stefanie Powers in SUNSET BLVD. , Sally Struthers in HELLO DOLLY, Rex Smith in THE SOUND OF MUSIC and (this past summer) Clay Aiken in JOSEF AND...
As to finding a young actor to play Billy (not to fuel speculation at all), there are some Billy vets living in the New England area.
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

mikey2573 wrote:I have seen shows at the Ogunquit Playhouse and they are an Equity theater, though they allow non-equity actors to fill out the ensemble. They usually put on quality productions. They will typically have "name" actors in the major roles --Stefanie Powers in SUNSET BLVD. , Sally Struthers in HELLO DOLLY, Rex Smith in THE SOUND OF MUSIC and (this past summer) Clay Aiken in JOSEF AND...
As to finding a young actor to play Billy (not to fuel speculation at all), there are some Billy vets living in the New England area.
Indeed, but let's not speculate. News will come when it is ready.
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

Here's an interesting sentence from the Broadway World article on the announcement:

""Ogunquit Playhouse is fortunate to have a close relationship with members of the original Broadway team for Billy Elliot and is looking forward to working with them to create this wonderful show for our stage."

http://www.broadwayworld.com/maine/arti ... n-20131025
michaelJ
Tall Boy

Post by michaelJ »

The Ogunquit productions are full of performers with experience from Broadway, National Tours, West End, Off-Broadway, and etc. It will be fun to see who they line up for BE.
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

From Foster's Daily Democrat, Portsmouth region's daily paper:

http://www.fosters.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar ... /131029247

Not sure when individual tickets go on sale, though the OPH website gives a default date of Nov 9th for season series tickets. The Playhouse is usually sold out for every performance, and Ogunquit is only a 90 minutes from Boston. If you think you might want to attend, it may be a good idea to book early to get a good seat, once individual tickets go on sale.
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

I have received the following message from the Ogunquit Playhouse concerning individual ticket sales for BETM there next summer:
Good afternoon,

Thank you for your email. Individual ticket sales for 2014 are
expected to begin sometime in February/March of next year. An
exact on-sale date (as well our full season schedule) will be
posted on our website as soon as that information becomes available.

Please keep an eye on our website if you are able to, or you may also
call the box office (# listed below) Monday-Friday 10AM-4PM with
any further questions.

Thanks very much.

Susan Allen
Assistant Box Office Manager
boxoffice@ogunquitplayhouse.org
207-646-5511
online tickets 24/7 at http://www.ogunquitplayhouse.org
angelenroute
Billy

Post by angelenroute »

Thanks for the legwork! :)

Return to “General Chat About Billy Elliot - North American Regional Productions”