BILLY ELLIOT London vs Australia:How were they different?

mikey2573
Tall Boy

BILLY ELLIOT London vs Australia:How were they different?

Post by mikey2573 »

Can anyone who saw both productions tell me if there were any major differences between the two productions (aside from the cast)?? Were there any lines changed for the Australian show? Dances different? Staging? Set? Anything??
Any help would be appreciated.
Brad
George

Re: BILLY ELLIOT London vs Australia:How were they different?

Post by Brad »

One of the biggest differences in Australia was that we didn't have the audition scene. In London, Billy actually auditions - or more so sort of auditions when his cassette stuffs up. We had none of that. Billy just comes out and throws his bag on the stage and sits beside his Dad.

The other obvious one was no one is Australia did the wall flip.

There were probably other subtle differences but it is now 2.5 years since the show finished here. I will try and think of some more.

Can I ask Billy - why do you ask now about the differences???
Cheers

Brad
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

Of course, the wall flip is not a given in any production of the show, since it's really determined by the skills of particular Billys, wherever they are.
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
andrewcraig
Tony

Post by andrewcraig »

It is easier to talk about the changes to the NY production . But apart from the audition scene which I love, I thought the finale of Expressing was staged different. In London I was surprised to see the boys at each end of the dresses rather than in the centre That is from memory, I dont think I have any video of the OZ show for that number.
Brad
George

Post by Brad »

ERinVA wrote:Of course, the wall flip is not a given in any production of the show, since it's really determined by the skills of particular Billys, wherever they are.
This is true however in Australia, they wouldn't allow them to do it regardless of their abilities.
andrewcraig wrote:It is easier to talk about the changes to the NY production . But apart from the audition scene which I love, I thought the finale of Expressing was staged different. In London I was surprised to see the boys at each end of the dresses rather than in the centre That is from memory, I dont think I have any video of the OZ show for that number.
And the Oz production didn't have any big pants lol
Cheers

Brad
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

I don't know about the Australian production, but the UK and both US productions have made numerous changes over the course of their runs, so it's very difficult to pin down differences between productions. One exception is the audition scene, which I think it is safe to say, has been different in each of the three productions. Another is Angry Dance. I believe the Australian AD was slightly different from the one in London, which has remained the same throughout, or at least the musical arrangement was different, is this not correct?
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.

Return to “Chat about Billy Elliot the Musical - Sydney & Melbourne (Australia)”