Billy - Josh WG
Michael - Joel
Debbie - Cassandra
Grandma - Joy M
Older Billy - Matt Serafini
Tall Boy - Jasper
Small Boy - Luke
Heseltine Girls

You have to love live theatre. The man next to me pointed out some "cheeky kid" climbing up on to the stage after the announcement to switch off mobile phones was made. I just nodded and watched as Luke gazed into the audience before turning to watch the movie reel. The penny then dropped for that man as he realised the show had begun. Without fail, that opening fools a lot of people The music struck up and we were transported back to 1984.

Josh W-G still has a clear voice which he used to great effect in every song. The high notes are reached with ease. He carefully modulates his voice to give shade and light where needed. And of course the smile just caps it all off nicely. From B23 every facial expression was clear and obvious, from the yell as Mrs Wilkinson sits on his knee in "Shine", to the look of surprise as grandma tells him his grandad was a "complete ba****d" and every emotion from there on in to the beaming smile in the "Finale". During the "Finale" I noticed that both he and Gen were not singing as they usually do. Instead the pair of them pulled faces at each other to try get the other to laugh.
Josh's dancing is still quite strong and fluid. There was a slight hiccup with the chair in "Swan Lake" but it didn't faze Josh at all. I'm sure we have all been to a show where this has happened before. I do have to say though that in "Angry Dance", Josh performed with ANGRY FEET! He fairly used those tap shoes to great effect. Every tap could be heard clearly throughout the theatre. This strength continued in the "Finale" as well.

The great tapping skills were equally matched with those of Joel during "Expressing Yourself". Joel has lost none of his comedic timing. He allows the audience to "get" the joke before continuing with his lines. Needless to say his facial expressions had everyone in stitches. He can also gain the audience's sympathy in the pre "Swan Lake" scene. Both he and Josh smiled their way to the conclusion of the number.

Speaking of smiles, Cassandra must have the lovliest Debbie smile around. It never leaves her face other than to poke her tongue out at Tracey Atkinson or pull numerous faces at her mam. Of course it is best shown during the now famous toilet scene. While both she and Josh tried their best to milk the scene, the audience just didn't react very well to it ( even after one enthusiastic audience member yelled out "Go for it Billy!" )and so the scene itself was too brief, which is a real shame since it really is Debbie's "big number".

Joy Miller's grandma comes across as being a very vague character, but I loved how focussed she was during "Grandma's Song" and you could tell she was picturing the bar scenes in her mind as the characters came to life around her. Matt Serafini performed Older Billy fairly well, but maybe lacked the power to send Billy soaring very high in "Swan Lake". A special call out to today's Keeley Gibson. I love how you used your fingers to pull your lips into a smile after Mrs Wilkinson yells at everyone to SMILE! And by the same token, how you cry after Mrs Wilkinson sends you home for your shoes. Jasper's Tall Boy shines best at the Ballet School as he pulls the geekiest face ever. His wariness of Billy as he rushes through the stage door is a laugh too. Of course Luke's screams of "OHHHH JEEESSSUUUSSS!" can be heard half way down Little Bourke Street, while his "w**ker!" line is spat out with a suddness that takes a few audience members by surprise. Adult cast are just so natural in their scenes that it is difficult to imagine anyone else stepping into their shoes. Thank you all.

Just as an aside, it was just fantastic seeing Rarmian Newton sitting in the Sound Booth. I'm guessing he was there doing some work experience
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: April Reviews

Post by ERinVA »

You have to love live theatre. The man next to me pointed out some "cheeky kid" climbing up on to the stage after the announcement to switch off mobile phones was made. I just nodded and watched as Luke gazed into the audience before turning to watch the movie reel. The penny then dropped for that man as he realised the show had begun. Without fail, that opening fools a lot of people The music struck up and we were transported back to 1984.
:D :D :D

Thanks for the review, Gavroche.
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

Thanks for a great review Gavroche. Love the shout (go for it Billy).
Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.
maria
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by maria »

Thanks for the great review from Down Under!

maria
<- A new use for the Billy Bag!!!
Gavroche
Small Boy

Post by Gavroche »

Saturday, April 11. Evening.

Billy - Dayton
Michael - Liam
Debbie - Isabelle
Tall Boy - Jasper
Small Boy - Thomas B
Full adult cast

Keyword for tonight's show would have to be "reinvented".

Having Dayton's name on the "Billy Board" warns those patrons reading it to strap themselves securely into their seats and prepare for one fast, furious ride. He grabs hold of you and isn't about to let go for the next 3 hours. The quiet anger we see in him sitting in the community hall is just a hint of the ANGER he will unleash to end Act 1. This lean, mean dancing machine always has more to offer each time you see him, so there is no way, in my opinion, that you can tell yourself he has given us all that he has got. That was most evident in his "Electricity" which has been reinvented to display Dayton's acrobatic skills. I was literally sitting on the edge of my seat watching him. To see him combine some of the ballet and street dance with energetic acro moves is riveting. Cartwheels, the backflips and a one armed hand stand that he uses to turn his body 180* just has to be seen to believed. I won't be at all surprised if within the last weeks of the show we learn that Dayton is performing the wall flip that some overseas Billys use in the routine. "Angry Dance" too, seemed to be reinvented to display Dayton's karate skills since he now karate kicks the bed in time to the music. I listened carefully to his screams and yes, he was using "that word" each time. I lost count of the number of times though. Those screams must hurt his throat they are that strong. In between times Dayton shows off his ability to interact well with other cast members from the ballet girls in "Shine", to Grandma, Mrs Wilkinson, and the whole community as he takes us on his journey.

With Liam as Michael both he and Dayton lifted the audience figuratively and literally. Both boys were having so much fun they both had small fits of laughter which added to the number. Liam also seems to be reinventing himself. You never quite know what he will say in the early stages. Will it be the cat growl, the "Buddah, Buddah, Buddah" line, or something new? Either way he wins over the audience and tonight several people in the front row were on their feet applauding him which I think is great considering how hard it is to get Melbourne audiences on their feet.
Isabelle's Debbie has been reivented in a minor way, sporting a new, shorter haircut for her. Isabelle plays her role as a more serious Debbie. I liked the way she "helped" Mr Braithwaite bring the barre into the hall which was no help at all :P Again, the audience didn't react to the "f**ny line" despite her and Dayton taking their time over it.

Heseltine ballet girls performed once more in their usual humorous fashion with Susan Parkes and Tracey Atkinson getting the laughs. Thomas B as Small Boy is using his "Oh Jesus!" and "w**ker" lines to good effect and gets laughs. Jasper once again played Tall Boy with Posh Boy bringing in the laughs as he peers into the theatre through squinted eyes. Full adult cast as always gave their highly polished performances to round off a great night out.
Gavroche
Small Boy

Post by Gavroche »

Sunday, April 12. Matinee.
Billy - Josh WG
Michael - Landen
Debbie - Cassandra
Older Billy - Brendan Yeates
Tall Boy - Jasper
Small Boy - Thomas B
Full adult cast
Heseltine Girls

I've been down this road before where a Sunday matinee is virtually a re-run of either the Friday or Saturday show. The changes of some characters adds greater experience and vitality to the show.

Today Thomas B won over the audience as he coughed his way across the stage and dropped to the floor to give us 3 "OH JESUS!" lines before collapsing and getting an earful from George. The expected laughs followed his "w**ker!" line as he exited the stage.

Jasper has been putting in a marathon performance as Tall Boy this week. He assures me the hit to the stomach and ear he gets from George doesn't hurt at all which is good to know because it sounds painful to the audience. I noticed intoday's show and Saturday's matinee that as Posh Boy, he and Josh share quite a few smiles with each other as they wait to be called on to the stage for the audition. Josh pays close attention to Jasper as he polishes his shoe on his trouser leg and adjusts his tie. He then copies Jasper's movements and looks somewhat embarassed that his shoes are not the same as Posh Boys. The smiles disappear though as Jasper sniggers on hearing the Elliot's are miners. His wary walk / run and geeky face are winners. Today Jasper had some very special "fans" in the audience who were very proud seeing him on stage and applauded excitely for him.

Cassandra of course gave a great performance as Debbie, smiling all the while. One thing I omitted from my last reflection is how she just drops the barre on the floor when "helping" Big Davy carry it into the hall. As he gives her a dirty look she just smiles at him and pushes the barre further along the floor. She worked well with Josh in the toilet scene and stretched it out longer than the previous show. But again, the audience just didn't encourage them by laughing.

Landen is one funny Michael. His deadpan face at being caught by Billy wearing his sister's dress is fantastic. Equally as good is his "PUSH!" line as he and Billy push his bedroom back into the wings. He had everyone laughing and clapping with "Expressing Yourself" which lasted long after he gave his pelvic thrust to end the scene. There was a slight "Eew" from a young audience member who didn't like the kiss he gave Billy but the laughs soon followed as he bemoaned the fact that his burgundy shorts didn't go with Tracey Atkinson's tutu. Landen never fails to pull out the stops whenever he's performing. Well done.

It was the first time I've seen Brendan as Older Billy and he gave a most credible routine. He worked well with Josh and was able to send him sailing high on the cable. Josh himself gave an energetic performance which had the audience applauding at key moments as well as give standing ovations at the end of the show. Adult cast as always were on fire delivering a most enjoyable show.

I usually try to find something to comment on from the ballet girls who always do an amazing job. The Heseltine girls also gave a marathon performance this weekend. My call out is to one very special young lady who I will just call "A" since I'm not sure which character you play. In tonight's "Finale" I believe you had a slight fall coming in for your bow. I'm sure you felt mortified that it happened at such a crucial moment and became very upset. The tears began to fall. But in the words of Mrs Wilkinson...

"You can Wow 'em every time,
All you have to do is shine.......
Steal an inch on them
And they'll give you a mile
And smile, smile, smile, smile"

That's just what you did. You dried your eyes, went to your position and followed Josh's steps perfectly and in time with him and the other ballet girls.Yours was a very important part in the "Finale" as you are the first ballet girl to turn and tap in time with Billy. By the end of the number you did have a smile on your face. Wonderful stuff "A". You won us all over and showed us what it means to be a star. "Congratulations, bonny lass....".
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

Thanks for all the reviews Gavroche.

Is this the end of your Mini Billython or is it in fact a full blown Billython?
Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.
sfo
George

Post by sfo »

great reviews Gavroche :D
Gavroche
Small Boy

Post by Gavroche »

Billy Whiz wrote:Thanks for all the reviews Gavroche.

It was my Easter weekend MiniBillython. BUT... I have a week coming up starting with Rhys' final show this coming Sunday.
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

Gavroche wrote:
Billy Whiz wrote:Thanks for all the reviews Gavroche.

It was my Easter weekend MiniBillython. BUT... I have a week coming up starting with Rhys' final show this coming Sunday.
Wow. Rhys's final show is going to be an emotional rollorcoaster. I hope all the fans enjoy the night and I also hope the management recognise his contribution by making an announcement before the show starts (unlike when other Billys have left :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: ).

Return to “Reviews - Sydney & Melbourne (Australia)”