Saturday, June 13. Matinee

Billy - Michael Dameski
Michael - Joel Slater
Debbie - Lauren Harvey
Tall Boy - Jasper Sweet
Small Boy - Luke Christopoulos
Dead Mum - Louise Kelly
Grandma - Joy Miller

For me this show was always going to be very emotional for a variety of reasons, not the least of which was that it would be the last time I'd get to see the magnificent Michael Dameski burn up the stage as Billy Elliot. I believe I had tears long before the show started and well before the curtain went up. There were fresh tears seeing him dragged on stage at the start of the show.

Stalls, seat B19 is THE seat to be sitting in during Michael's performance - it's dead centre of the stage in the front row. Here Michael stands and delivers some of the more memorable parts of the show - whether it be the "What about Wayne Sleep" line, or the "Can't I stay here" plea to his grandma. But for me it will always be the non spoken thoughts as he slides across the stage in "Angry Dance", lifts a piece of wood to throw at the police and gives the fiercest look of hatred to the person in front. I had commented to Michael some days earlier on how I loved that action, so imagine my delight ( ? ) when I was subjected to both those looks.

From the start Michael wins you over with his acting skills, whether it be the moves to "put him off" or the faces he pulls at the ballet girls during "Shine". So many small added parts that make the whole so enjoyable. I could actually see dust float through the air after George hit him ( and the other boys ) with his boxing glove. I've always loved the cocked finger pointed at grandma as they race to put away the pasty and boxing gloves. The facial expressions are always first class during her song. Of course today was extra special when Michael kissed Joy's hand to end her song. Loved the hug as they walked off together. I bet Joy had tears in her eyes.

"Solidarity" gives us glimpses of things to come with his chaines and pirouettes. I have loved watching Michael try to copy what the other girls are doing, only to be confused by Debbie's refusal to listen to her mam. The final stance today was perfectly timed to coincide with the music finishing. When speaking to Mrs Wilkinson from inside the toilet cubicle Michael made me laugh with his version of "I've only just learned to....pirouette!" complete with face pulling and slamming of the door.

With Joel as his Michael, both boys set about ensuring that "Expressing Yourself" would long be remembered, considering that this, too, was Joel's last show. I believe Joel threw in more smiles, more eye rolls and more funny faces than usual. I love how Michael tries to hide from the audience behind the pink dress as he walks across the stage. From B19 it was all smiles and knowing looks from both boys as they led us in a riotous routine. I believe Joel's kiss blown out into the audience was meant for his mum, which added a nice touch. Later in the pre "Swan Lake" scene Joel had us in stitches with his high pitched cry of surprise, complete with a pained look on his face as his eyes rolled around in his head. Thanks, Joel, for having a most successful run as Michael and not only retaining us Sydney fans, but winning over a whole new legion of Melbourne fans. Every success for the future, mate.

"The Letter" never fails to move me no matter which Billy sings it. But Michael makes you putty in his hands. The tears are on and they are rolling down the cheeks and dripping off the chin....and that's just me! Michael has always had a slight vibratto to his voice and that worked wonderfully in his favour here and in the "Reprise". Great combining of voices from Louise and Gen. Seeing his scrunched up face watching his mam walk away is enough to reduce the hardest of hearts.

Later on we have the irrepressible Lauren delivering her absolute best as Debbie. There are so many small touches that she adds to the character that you lose count. I like her hand waving in front of Mr Braithwaite as he lines up for "baskets of pansies"; the knowing look that she fed Billy correct information about Wayne Sleep only to be mocked by the other girls a bit later on. And of course, Debbie's big moment - no NOT tap dancing in competition with Tracey Atkinson - but making THAT offer. Today it was played out wonderfully with Michael seriously considering it and being encouraged by Lauren's vigorous nodding and biggest smiles.

God help us during "Angry Dance". Michael's screams have come a long way from his early days in Sydney. They are truly torturous. The loudest, strongest taps he can muster are nothing in comparison to the way he kicks the hell out of the side wall. Again, I mention that look of loathing in his eyes as he prepares himself to throw the wood at the police line. The final scream that plunges the stage into darkness leaves us shell shocked.

Andy tries his best to make the boys break from character with his jokes, but Michael doesn't fall for it. The looks of distain he gives are something else, and it's Andy who tries hard to stay in character. "Deep into the Ground" sung by Richard lately has become much more sensitive which makes Michael's singing of the last verse that more poignant. Others have mentioned "Swan Lake" being as close to perfect as can be, and I agree. Must admit though I was sitting bolt upright holding my breath as Michael worked his routine with the chair. I relaxed as soon as he threw it into the wings. It was a beautiful rendition and there were tears throughout ( from the audience ).

"Electricity" was what I'd been waiting for, wondering just what he would pull out of his bag of tricks to enthrall us more than he has already done so. All I can do is to quote Billy when he sees Michael dressed up in women's clothing...... F*****G HELL!!!. I know you gave us the full name of the moves you made, but performing it would be 100 times easier to do than say :D You promised us something special for the last show, but what you delivered was something SPECIAL. It's no wonder there were cheers from the audience and no wonder we jumped to our feet as you held that final pose, trying not to break from character. But our applause and and a certain someone in the front row who shouted out his approval won and you looked at us through teary eyes as the tears streamed down Richard's cheeks. He too looked out at the audience and saw the marvellous standing ovation that only ended as you grabbed your bag and ran off stage. Thank you Michael - it was worth the wait - just wish I had another opportunity to see it again :P

The mood sombered as we began the farewells starting with a misty eyed call from grandma...."No...you can't stay here - we've rented your room out." to an emotional farewell to Mrs Wilkinson, the pair of you choking on your words. This week I paid attention to Mike Smith's Tony as he hands over the miner's lamp to Billy. The slow walk back to his chair and the look of sadness back at Billy before he sits down is heartbreaking. That final goodbye to mam as the stage darkened and you climbed off the stage. The tears were evident in Joel's eyes and yours as you kissed him goodbye. They flowed as easily as ours did. The "Finale" had everyone cheering for quite some time as you got into position. The call of encouragement before the music began had us all laughing as you did a little bum wiggle in response. Your "Finale" was everything we've come to love - the eye rolling, the head movements, the smiles and the looks that not only engage your fellow cast members but us as well.

How can we not mention the actions of Jasper as the various Tall Boys? Naturally it is as Posh Boy that you come into your own. Those subtle touches such as the wary walk around Billy and your geeky look into the theatre. You didn't let the loud cry of one very enthusiastic audience member put you off. We've all commented on the fact that Tall Boy's role had been cut somewhat for Melbourne, but hopefully Jasper will decide he would like to pursue an acting career and we can be updated on what the future holds for him.
Small Boy Luke - what can we say? You certainly took over this character and placed your own individual stamp on it. We laughed as you coughed and spluttered your way across the stage. We've listened to you increase the volume in the "OH JESUS!" lines, and we have laughed out loud at the "w**ker!" response to George. You really do put up a struggle to get out of the miner's arms during the opening number and you have 3/4 of the audience "oohhing" as Mr Braithwaite carries you off stage. Ballet girls well and truly "Shine" during the "Finale". Thank you all.

As was to be expected, the Stage Door was crowded with well wishers, family members, friends and fans alike. Once more, thank you for the time you spent with us. I know it will be forever etched in the memory of quite a few of us. I had the distinct honour of presenting Michael with his card and gift on behalf of the FOBE along with a personal gift from myself. Michael was gracious in accepting both and thanked everyone for their good wishes. (PS I hope you liked the extra Mini Monopoly and Mini Trivial Puruit games we picked up for you in the early hours of Sunday morning :lol: )Then it was off with the family for some private time. Thank you Michael for the wonderful performances we have witnessed by you - they will live in our thoughts forever. Hopefully we will be kept informed about what you get up to in the future - I'm sure you have a lot of plans already, and we are anxious to hear of your successes.
NoDayButToday
Tall Boy

Re: REVIEWS JUNE AUS

Post by NoDayButToday »

thanks so much for these reviews Gavroche!!!
Layton x1 Brad x1 Ollie x2 Fox x1 Tom x1(5th bday show) Dean CC x1

:)
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

Great stuff Gavroche. Can't wait for the next 2.
Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.
JohnH
Forum Founder
Forum Founder

Post by JohnH »

Thanks for the reviews Gavroche.

I've only managed to read Thursday's but I'm going to have to wait until I get home tonight to read the rest as I'm running the risk of embarrassing myself in work(tears in eyes). :oops:
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

Thanks so much for your reviews, Gavroche. You are really giving us a sense of what it is like to see the show make a TRIUMPHANT and graceful exit. I so wish I could have seen the Australian production. :(
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
Gavroche
Small Boy

Post by Gavroche »

FOUR DOWN - ONE TO GO

Saturday, June 13. Evening.
Billy - Dayton
Michael - Thomas D
Debbie - Cassandra
Dead Mum - Louise Kelly
Tall Boy - Douglas
Small Boy - Cody

What a show for Dayton to bow out on. It was by far his single most extraordinarily emotional show that was filled with small touches that long time fans would have noticed. We have come to know that Dayton continually set himself challenges throughout his run and he has just blown all of us away every time he meets or exceeds said challenges.I've always admired Dayton not only for his talents on stage but for his talents off stage and away from acting.

Cody set the scene for us as soon as he set foot on the stage - cheers from his fans in the audience tonight to mark his final show. A glowering Dayton was dragged on stage and he sat watching everyone become immersed in the news about the strike about to begin. Don't be fooled by those faultering steps in the opening number because Dayton has an arsenal of moves tucked away that he will gradually unleash upon you and leave you wanting more.

It's a known fact that Dayton continually challenged himself throughout his run as Billy Elliot, always wanting to do better next time; always wanting to add something new / extra /different each time. And die hard patrons picked up on these additions. It might be something subtle like ending his cartwheel over the chairs in "Electricity" to coincide with the end notes of the chimes, or something more obvious like the wide eyed look and the dropped jaw as Mr Braithwaite during his Diaghilev speil. Tonight though, it was Dayton's complete breakdown during "The Letter" that moved us the most. Yes, Dayton has been teary during this scene, but tonight no one on stage or off remained dry eyed. Dayton's usual strong vocal delivery was overtaken by deep, heart wrenching sobs as he choked out the words. Gen was visibly upset as well, no doubt not expecting Dayton's emotional break down. Talk about emotional breakdowns - "Angry Dance" left no one unscathed. The loud screams of FFF***************CCCCCCKKKKKK must surely cause a sore throat. The aggressive tap dancing and various kicks across the stage culminating in that final scream and slap against the back wall leave us stunned and in need of something to calm the nerves.

"Swan Lake" was basically faultless, with those manic final spins to Richard Piper being the icing on the cake that brought forth wild applause from the audience. But it was the signature dance routine known as "Electricity" that blew the circuits in the theatre. As he stood there in the final pose the audience went wild, jumping to their feet in deserved ovation. I wondered what was slightly different this time round. It was then that I noticed that the house lights were powering up. There definitely was an electrical charge around after Dayton's trademark gangsta style dancing that we have watch evolve over the months. Tonight was the jewel in his crown.

Working alongside Cassandra of the charming and all knowing smile was top class as always. That smile conveys much more than is ever said. The toilet scene was great. The look of shock/horror, followed by careful contemplation was rounded off nicely with a grating "Naaah!....". Douglas as Posh Boy has always been the most sympathetic during the audition scene, his tone sympathetic, not condescending. I do love the added touch of wiping your hand on your jacket after touching Billy. Hesletine girls- you are all wonderful and each deserve a book full of Mrs Wilkinson's gold stars. Thanks for all the laughs you provided us with.

Thomas D was certainly in his element and no more so than "Expressing Yourself". I've no doubt Thomas would have been very emotional before the show and there were times during "Expressing Yourself" I felt that Thomas was trying extra hard to keep those emotions in check, much to his credit. The applause before and after the reprise was more than well deserved. You kept the laughs coming in the pre "Swan Lake" scene as well as the soup kitchen scene. However, it was that final line that had us all in tears with you and Dayton.

Outside at the Stage Door Dayton and Co were greeted by his family, friends, fans and well wishers. Tears mingled with the smiles and laughter. Gifts exchanged, photos taken and those last minute autographs searched out. But it was Dayton himself who stayed on "just a little bit..." longer to personally thank us long time fans with one or 2 personal photographs and a warm handshake. Must admit though, that it is the hug I'll remember. As my most seen Billy all I can say is thank you Dayton. I know you have many talents in other areas and no matter which one you pursue, you have all my best wishes for a bright and happy future. I for one, will be looking forward to hearing news of how life is treating you.
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Re: REVIEWS JUNE 2009 AUS

Post by Billy Whiz »

Thanks Gavroche. Another brilliant and poignant review. I'm sure you must write these with tears in your eyes.

Well done.
Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.
Dancer
Ballet Girl

Post by Dancer »

Many thanks, Gavroche, for all your reviews, you have a fabulous memory! It makes me almost believe I was at the shows myself! But what about the final show that brought Melbourne, and indeed Billy Elliot Australia to a close on Sunday 14th June? Have I missed something?

I really wish I could have spent some time either in Sydney or Melbourne to see your stunning production, but sadly it was not to be; getting time off work and the cost being the biggest stumbling blocks. No matter, thanks to you Gavroche, BillyAddict, gemsag and the many others who have contributed to the Aussie section of the forum, we in the rest of the world have had some insight into the world of Billy Elliot Australia. Thank you, all.
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

Well said Dancer.

ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

I second that! :D
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.

Return to “Reviews - Sydney & Melbourne (Australia)”