April 2015 Reviews - Denmark

Billy Person
Audience Member

Re: Chat about Billy Elliot Denmark

Post by Billy Person »

I wrote a bit of a review of my first 2 shows here this morning. I just came back from show 3, but I'll add something about shows 3 and 4 later:

I'm writing today after the first 2 shows in Copenhagen. We still have shows tonight and tomorrow. Overall, I think this show is fantastic and I'd highly recommend it. I don't think anyone will have time to accept my recommendation and see it as the show's over in a week. I've seen the show a lot as have my travelling companions from the UK and Netherlands. who have seen it more than I have. None of us speaks a word of Danish. Rumour has it that the words and music were in Danish, but for Billy people, well as Michael would say, no one will notice.

There are 3 Billys and 4 Michaels. . Fookin' weird, if you ask me (I.m told one of the Michaels isn't really in the show).

The show is, in a word, different. The staging is largely simplified, the sets are quite elaborate, and the choreography is 100% new in every scene. Some things are missing: No newsreel, no shadow dance, no bar scene in Grandma's song, no dresses in Express, no piano jump in Born to Boogie, no Maggie Thatcher puppets etc. I really only have one criticism of the show and that's not much as there were so many pluses. I thought they lost much of the magic as Billy starts learning to be a real ballet dancer in Solidarity. Maybe it was there for the taking if they had a real ballet star as Billy. I don't think they have anything like a National Ballet School in Toronto to draw on and they can't pull out someone "fully formed" like a Myles or Marcus. Do not get me wrong. Both Billys were fantastic. Childrens' casting directors are brilliant. If one aspect of one's talents are a little less developed than others, they make up for it. Nicholas (the 11 year old) is still perfecting his ballet skills, but his singing is, to say the least, stunning. I think they're all chiorboys, as Carl (the 13 year old), sang just as well. Nicolas could turn a smiling face into a river of tears in a second. It was quite something.

Just going through some of the scenes. Grandma's Song, again simplified, but there were real nice touches focussing on her relationship with Billy. They danced together and hugged and it was really sweet.. Express really brought out the cameraderie betwwen Billy and Michael in a way I don't think I've ever seen in other productions. Born To Boogie worked really well. Billy got tossed all over by Mr. Braithwaite and he was having a great time. I think I forgot to mention. that Mrs. Wilkinson was the best dancer of any I've ever seen. Jackie Elliot was the best singer. Angry Dance was something else. Yeah, it hurt a bit not to have a total focus in Billy doing his best most intricate stuff. He left the stage for some time as miners had a major battle with police. Billy did dance on an oildrum and garbage can as well as on top of a police car which was ulimately turned over and set on fire. You can really feel the heat from the front row.

Second half, briefly: Dream Ballet worked great. Tradional staging aided by a terrific older Billy. They cut some time out of the audition sequence. Electricity sounds so beautiful in Danish by 2 wonderful singers. Really innovative dancing, particularly the second night with some moves I'd never seen before. I remember when the Tour was being tweaked and people were afraid they'd drop the finale. Well, I was afraid they'd do that here. But not only was it not dropped, it was way way better than New York, London or Toronto. Smallboy started it and ended up tap dancing up a storm. They didn't wear tutus, just union jack shirts. Michael wore well... a union jack dress.
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

Hi Billy Person. I see this is your first post. Welcome to active posting on the Forum and thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on the show you saw with the rest of us.

I will comment on one aspect of what you've written:
Billy Person wrote:(I.m told one of the Michaels isn't really in the show).
Though there were originally four Michaels announced, since the very first performance there have only been three (Helmer, Magnus and Theo). The fourth boy, I'm told, had to withdraw for an unknown reason.

Thanks again for your comments. I hope you'll post often!
Billy Person
Audience Member

Post by Billy Person »

Thanks PR. I've looked at the forum a lot over the years. I just thought there was a bit of a dearth on the Copenhagen show and since my travelling companions are running me ragged, I'd stop and write a bit.

So just a brief comment on last night's show. Billy was Oscar, the 14 year old. Michael was Theo. I believe all the Michael's are 12. Smallboy was again errr (don't have program with me), but it's so nice to see a smallboy being allowed to show off advanced tap skills. It was really a great group of Billys. It sounds trite. Everyone has favourites. I have favourites. But I think Billy people will acknowledge that there's never been a dud anywhere, and I can't imagine a more daunting role for a child or adult.

I have 2 comments on the boys from the second half. Theo's take on the Nutcracker scene was nothing short of uncanny. I think I'll call it dazzing and leave it there. That line translates translates well in Danish. MIchael does a little James Brown "I Feel Good" when he does that routine. Billy's Esquire scene just doesn't translate at all. We had asked Smallboy's mom to try to explain the line Herr William Elliot. There something about the way Herr is empasized in the line that has a different mreaning (nothing to do with the English line). Anyway, she explained it, but I still didn't understand it. LOL.

Oscar's Electricity was I thought, mesmerizing. It was incredibly well choreographed to the music and quite spectacular.

9.5 hours til tonight's showtime. Will be repeat Billy and Michael since we've seen all 3 of each.

And The Haig starts next Friday.
thm
Miner

Post by thm »

Billy Person wrote:.... Theo's take on the Nutcracker scene was nothing short of uncanny. I think I'll call it dazzing and leave it there....
:?: uncanny yet dazzling?
...Esquire scene just doesn't translate at all. We had asked Smallboy's mom to try to explain the line Herr William Elliot. There something about the way Herr is empasized in the line that has a different mreaning (nothing to do with the English line). Anyway, she explained it, but I still didn't understand it. LOL. ...
The lengthening and strong emphasis on the first syllable of 'herre' is a sign of wondrousness like saying hoho! Wow!
In Denmark you adress other people( except the Queen )very unformal. That way 'herre' used to adress a kid is way too much of respect and seems rather overdone. The pun 'esquire - is queer' cannot work, of course in other languages.
... I don't think they have anything like a National Ballet School in Toronto to draw on and they can't pull out someone "fully formed"...
Well, there is the Royal Theatre's Ballet School ( Det Kongelige Teaters Balletskole). Their standards are high and I think they're also well known in the world. (I've seen the Nutcracker 5 years ago. In that version the two kids did a lot of dancing throughout the show, and it was obvious they were canny ballet dancers. I thought the boy, who also did acrobatic numbers was nothing short of a High-Standard-Billy Elliot. :D )

As for BETM at The New Theatre it just seems they chose rather experienced performers with focus on acting and reliability for pragmatical reasons rather than dancers.

https://facebook.com/Balletskole?refsrc ... alletskole
CJ-Rochester
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by CJ-Rochester »

Hi Billy Person. Welcome to the forum. It's nice to read your reviews. Hope you enjoy the rest of your trip.
-Chris
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

April 2015 Reviews - Denmark

Post by ERinVA »

Note: I have moved the most recent review and comments from the "Chat About" section to this thread for April reviews.
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
Billy Person
Audience Member

Post by Billy Person »

thm wrote: :?: uncanny yet dazzling?
What I was saying is that every Michael in all shows seems to play the scene differently. Generally it's just a Little bit............ and relative to this show, it's a prolonged scene. Here, this Michael uses about 10 seconds only and absolutely nails it. It was a huge hit with the audience.
thm wrote:

The lengthening and strong emphasis on the first syllable of 'herre' is a sign of wondrousness like saying hoho! Wow!
In Denmark you adress other people( except the Queen )very unformal. That way 'herre' used to adress a kid is way too much of respect and seems rather overdone. The pun 'esquire - is queer' cannot work, of course in other languages.
Ah I see. There was very little audience reaction.
thm wrote:
Well, there is the Royal Theatre's Ballet School ( Det Kongelige Teaters Balletskole). Their standards are high and I think they're also well known in the world. (I've seen the Nutcracker 5 years ago. In that version the two kids did a lot of dancing throughout the show, and it was obvious they were canny ballet dancers. I thought the boy, who also did acrobatic numbers was nothing short of a High-Standard-Billy Elliot. :D )

As for BETM at The New Theatre it just seems they chose rather experienced performers with focus on acting and reliability for pragmatical reasons rather than dancers.
That makes sense. And it worked. I'm not complaining with the casting at all.

Off to The Hague on Friday.

Return to “Reviews - Denmark”