Wichita Reviews- July 8-12

kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Re: Wichita Reviews- July 8-12

Post by kport »

Thanks for a great review, Todd. It sounds like a great production!

One question: was the set new? I know the set created by Ogunquit and used by Raleigh will be used at The Gateway in a week's time. I am wondering if Wichita uses its own?
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

I want to know who played Older Billy. Although you mentioned Tanner's bits during the show, you made no mention of him doing the Dream Ballet, so I am curious as to how that went and who actually danced it with Mitchell.
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
CJ-Rochester
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by CJ-Rochester »

ERinVA wrote:I want to know who played Older Billy. Although you mentioned Tanner's bits during the show, you made no mention of him doing the Dream Ballet, so I am curious as to how that went and who actually danced it with Mitchell.
Older Billy is played by Aaron Patrick Craven according to the cast web page:
http://mtwichita.org/shows_tickets/curr ... rview#2090
http://www.aaronpatrickcraven.com/
angelenroute
Billy

Post by angelenroute »

Todd wrote:Tanner Pflueger...His only lines were as a policeman, as he was the one who told Billy that they were "keeping the peace" and that "we're doing a good job then, aren't we?"
Must be fun for him to do that. :)
Todd wrote:Mitchell Tobin...In the "Shine" scene when he tells Mrs. Wilkinson, "You've got to be joking . . . . .to this crap?" he then added an exaggerated flapping of his feather fan at her - mocking the dance which had just occurred - which was quite funny.
I remember someone doing that and it being very funny, so perhaps it was Mitchell. Really works so well, you wonder why they don't do it worldwide?! :)

"Good writers define reality; bad ones merely restate it." -Edward Albee
CJ-Rochester
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by CJ-Rochester »

angelenroute wrote:
Todd wrote:Mitchell Tobin...In the "Shine" scene when he tells Mrs. Wilkinson, "You've got to be joking . . . . .to this crap?" he then added an exaggerated flapping of his feather fan at her - mocking the dance which had just occurred - which was quite funny.
I remember someone doing that and it being very funny, so perhaps it was Mitchell. Really works so well, you wonder why they don't do it worldwide?! :)

I remember seeing that too. I'm pretty sure it was towards the end of the tour, by the time we it in Baltimore and Hartford. Steven Minning would be the common thread here, as Resident Director of the tour and Director of the Wichita production.
Todd
Dad

Post by Todd »

kport wrote:One question: was the set new? I know the set created by Ogunquit and used by Raleigh will be used at The Gateway in a week's time. I am wondering if Wichita uses its own?
I couldn't tell if the set was new or if it was the same one used in Ogunquit and Raleigh. It was quite similar to what I remember from the tour, what with the individual pieces that the actors had to move (as opposed to the ones that move electronically in London). I do remember that Billy's bedroom wasn't very high off the stage - maybe about 5 or 6 steps up. Everything seemed to be performed the way it traditionally has been done, with the Elliots' kitchen table on the left (as you're facing the stage), Billy's bedroom and the stove on the right, Mr. Braithwait's piano on the back right, etc.
Todd
Dad

Post by Todd »

ERinVA wrote:I want to know who played Older Billy. Although you mentioned Tanner's bits during the show, you made no mention of him doing the Dream Ballet, so I am curious as to how that went and who actually danced it with Mitchell.
Older Billy was played by Aaron Patrick Craven, as mentioned by CJ-Rochester. The Dream Ballet was done very well, with the smoke that's used in most productions. Aaron seemed to work very well with Mitchell. Towards the end of the dance, Aaron balanced Mitchell on his shoulder, as Mitchell was parallel to the ground, simulating a flying position - I guess as a nod to the flying sequence which was not included.
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

Thanks Todd.
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
Ed Berger421
Audience Member

Post by Ed Berger421 »

Todd did an excellent job of reviewing the show and taking you through the changes. I think he also answered K-Ports questions about the language,which really worked well .I just have a few words to say about this production. The casting was perfect especially for those of us who were (are) still so connected to the second tour. I had also seen Evan Lennon in Raleigh,he and Mitchell Tobin work so well together. Janet Dickinson and Patti Perkins are a joy no matter how often you have seen them . Absolutely loved them..Finally i have to say a few word about Mitchell Tobin. I hope i can do this without sounding like I'm gushing as i have seen him play the role countless times in many theaters across the country .I'm not sure if the word excellent even does him justice. I watched him in four back to back performances Saturday, and Sunday, and they were the most amazing performances I've ever seen. He just kept getting better and better. Just when i thought he can not possibly give this audience any more, he can, and he does...The audience was very receptive and loved him.The applause was thunderous from the nearly sold out shows.Just a little footnote and then i'll stop...Even after rehearsing during the morning , doing back to back shows, he stopped to say hello after the show and put up with me taking a photograph.I almost felt bad about asking, but i guess not that bad...
Anyway, some of you may know i do not post too often,but just wanted to share this wonderful amazing weekend with those that understand the enjoyment that comes with "Billy Elliot"

Return to “US Regional Productions Archive”