Sunderland Reviews

Sheffan
Tall Boy

Re: Sunderland Reviews

Post by Sheffan »

(Barry Appleby, Real Geordie and JTSW1 have very eloquently covered the staging of the show and main cast members - so I'll concentrate on some general comments and the background to my trip)

Looking back over my blogs on this forum, I noticed I hadn’t written any review of my trip to see my first 3 tour shows , all at Sunderland Empire (having being unable to travel to Plymouth). My first visit was quite brief for the Friday 15 April performance. A few weeks before, I decided this wouldn’t be enough so I booked a longer stay taking in the Thursday evening 28 April show together with the last show in Sunderland on Saturday 30 April. My experiences on Friday 29th were covered in detail in my post “A visit to Easington”.
As I’m writing this belatedly in October 2016 I’ll try to discuss the show in more general terms, as my early memories of each cast members’ performances have been replaced by my more recent viewings.
More about the performances themselves in a moment but first I will set the scene so to speak.
On arriving for the first time at Sunderland rail station on the metro light rail system from the vibrant city of Newcastle (where I stayed the day before on my arrival from my home in Sheffield), I had pre-show feelings similar to those described by Barry Appleby in his review of the show in this section. I was beginning to think that this wasn’t the sort of place that could possibly host a large scale touring West End show. To be honest, on exiting the station the city centre seemed to be a bit “run down” and depressing. However, having turned luckily in the right direction and within 10 minutes my spirits had lifted. The Empire (dating from the Edwardian era) is located in a much prettier heritage rich area of the city centre opposite the Minster and several other historic public buildings, which are being given a makeover with new paving, seats and art installations reflecting Sunderland’s maritime heritage. Next to the theatre stands a stunningly restored heritage pub the Dun Cow, which made for a pleasant pre-theatre drink later. 3 days before their appearance at the final VPT show, Easington Colliery Band played outside the pub to serenade the crowds on Opening Night which was attended by Stephen Daldry and Lee Hall. Much of the front of the theatre was covered in scaffolding including the famous tower above the main entrance as the theatre is undergoing external works but the inside has been fully restored to its original glory and completed in 2004. After collecting my tickets from the theatre’s shop further down the street, I made for my hotel , very conveniently only 100 metres or so away and newly opened only a few months previously. Behind the Minster there is a nice road with old buildings with some really nice and cosy family run restaurants. There was some time to kill before the show so I had a walk around the theatre. The dressing rooms must be really nice as each one seems to have a bay window with an ornamental shaded light. Annette McLaughlin tweeted a photo of the key to her star dressing room which had a tag which stated Carry On actor Sid James occupied during the 1976 run where he tragically died whilst on stage. Then I made for the iconic Wearmouth Bridge (smaller but very similar to the Tyne Bridge in Newcastle) – this is where the Billy’s had their publicity photos taken for the local press.
Due to heavy rain, I had to run from the hotel to the theatre. As Barry said, what a buzz there was at this theatre. Because the show is set in the local area (Easington is an easy 8 mile bus ride from here) everyone was excitedly discussing the show. The merchandise stand seemed to be much busier than at the more recent venues that I have attended. The theatre management said later that the show was the most successful in their recent history with attendances of around 80000 and 37% of BETM patrons having never visited the Empire before. One family had travelled from Canada to see the show, apparently.
Some fans have debated the merits of the tour versus the original VPT show, but the central point to be made here is that in Sunderland, Billy Elliot has truly come home. The show belongs to everyone, but the show has a special meaning and emotional impact to the people in the North East. As a result there were more tears shed here by audiences, quite a few people were fully weeping throughout the show, rather than the odd tear down the cheek. Everyone was very friendly and it was really easy to chat to other members of the audience. Even those I spoke to who had no experience of the events in the story knew someone who had. The show’s writer Lee Hall’s family were affected by the decline of the shipbuilding industry near here which had also impacted many audience members.
The auditorium was in a cheerful red with ornate white plasterwork and had an incredible 4 tiers including the stalls - seating around 1800. The main stalls bar is in a modernised extension but when I left through the old main entrance, the ornate sculptures and chandeliers were a breathtaking sight.
When I took my seat there was no stage curtain, just a few of those familiar wooden chairs at each side and a projection on the back wall with ‘NCB’ as the logo. I was beginning to think the production would be a scaled back version of London as there was little else, but within a few minutes of the show starting, the familiar Welfare Hall back and side walls whizzed onto the stage from the wings as if by some unseen magic hands.
I think the idea of starting the show with Small Boy climbing the stage with a 1980s style radio playing Radio 1 and miner’s helmet was very simple but really moving and more effective than the previous obscure 1950s newsreels that may have gone over the heads of many in the audience. It didn’t matter to me that this was the shortest ballet girl in boy's clothing. It would have been very difficult to take 3 six year old boys on tour for such a small role in any case. If I were the director though, I would listed the role on the cast board as Small Girl.
Expressing Yourself was a real joy and brought roars of applause almost bringing the house down. A more multicoloured backdrop and the extra wide staging were a delight. Many critics have dismissed this scene as unrealistic – would a boy appear without embarrassment in a dress in front of his friend? But to me, this scene is like a parable and conveys an important theme or message that we should delight in the uncynical view of the world children have when not burdened by the emotional baggage of their parents. In short children should have a right to their childhood. Sadly this is not the case for many children today.
The show has the same technical team as in London, but I feel it has been a good idea to create an international version using the show's American and Dutch associates. They have explained the technology advances in recent years mean this is the most technically advanced version of the show to date. This is a good place to pay tribute to the 60 or so tour staff that are not seen on the stage. It is amazing that the show moves from venue to venue using 10 trucks in only 3 days, with many staff having very little sleep.
Angry Dance is as fresh as a Daisy - I get a real sense of the community crushing and trapping Billy's individuality - at this stage of the show he is almost drowned out by the politics and social attitudes of the area - he is symbolically impaled to the wall at one point.
The Sunderland performances will be in my heart for ever - especially the new "He Could be a Star" (aka Broadway version) now free of it's overlong clunky lyrics and now flows like a dream, advancing the story with every beat. I love tall boys icy glare at the scab. I celebrate this show for it's darkness as well as it's humour and pathos.

I'm so glad to have seen Elliot Stiff here on the last night - he's a local lad from nearby Washington. What an absolute star in the making!! (I included some more comments on the cast in my Visit to Easington post so will not repeat them here)

During breakfast on Sunday morning in the hotel, I was fortunate enough to be seated near several ex-miners who were at the show at it's last night here. They were very touched and were full of praise for the staging of the He Could Be a Star and Once We Were Kings, one of them was really touched with the latter. Although a sad song, he thought it was a great tribute to him and his fellow ex-miners. I think he said the image of the pit lift doors slamming shut and helmet lights shining into the audience would stay with him for a long time.

Adam, Lewis, Haydn, Matthew, Elliot, Henry, Samuel, Bradley, Lily, Evie, Italia and all the ballet girls - in the words of Mrs Wilkinson you are all "very f****** special". We fans are so proud of you and your achievements. You'll remember this amazing year long trip round the country for the rest of your lives.

Also a round of applause to our VPT brothers and sisters Deborah Bundy, Daniel Page and Barnaby Meredith.

I'm looking forward to staying with this show in the months and years ahead. This show makes me feel so alive and brings so much joy to so many people.

Long live BETM!!
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

Thank you Sheffan and all the reviewers for the wonderfully detailed reviews of the Tour shows.
tankntonic
Ballet Girl

Post by tankntonic »

Sheffan, having not been to see the BETM Tour myself, your vignettes are surely the next best thing. the descriptions of your experiences along the way keep my fascination for the show intact. I can imagine what it is like to actually be there and relate to things you describe from my own trips. After all, as Todd related, going to see unfamiliar places and also to see the show make for a great vacation.
Having had my plans to make a trip to see the tour dashed by my mean old boss last month, I now have doubled down on getting some time off before the tour ends at some point. I have the "advantage" of not caring where as I have not been to any of the locations left on the schedule.
Please, everyone who is lucky enough to make a trip to the Tour, do as Sheffan and Todd have done and include information on your experiences, advice on where to stay and/or eat near the theater etc.
It makes for fascinating reading to others, such as me, who have not been able to go as yet.

Thank you very much for taking the time to post your stories.

Return to “Reviews - Billy Elliot UK/Ireland Tour”