Site Moderator

Re: Bradford Reviews

Post by kport »

Barry Appleby
George

Post by Barry Appleby »

Thursday 13th May (Matinee)

Had a job at Doncaster then travelled up to Bradford, got there in good time, a lovely sunny day, so I sat in the Centenary Park opposite the Alhambra, with a group from Sheffield who were going to the show, it was so warm, there were plenty of people cooling off in the ground fountains. The Alhambra theatre looks outstanding in this rebuilt area, and so easy to find, a lovely theatre inside, air conditioned, and well worth a visit.
Funny enough I was working on Manchester Piccadilly Station on Tuesday, believe it or not ex Billy, Layton Williams was rushing to catching a train, so just a quick wave.
So, the matinee on Thursdays started at 2pm, the theatre nearly full, I would say only a dozen of seats empty, if that, the side boxes were used. I really again don't want to give to much away, I wish more of the forum members would make that effort to see the show, they certainly will enjoy it, there are many changes to the London Production, especially in Act 2. but listening to that music again, brings a lump to your throat.
I do like Annette McLaughlin as Mrs Wilkinson she really masters, Shine and Solidarity.
Expressing Yourself is very colourful with great lighting effects, also with plenty, changing of Shimmers, from the flies, plus extra lighting on the stage boarders. Elliot Stiff was Michael and he certainly got the audience under his spell at the end of the scene.
B2B is as, the London Production, except poor old Mr Braithwaite has to push his own piano on, Daniel Page was outstanding.
I've got to honest I love this version of Angry Dance, there is so much movement on stage, for me the orchestration is absolutely brilliant, Adam really worked so hard, I think he is going to be another outstanding Billy.
No jokes in the front of the tabs before Merry Christmas Mrs Thatcher, just a bit of larking about between Tony and George, Billy ends up with the bucket on his head for protection.
I must mention Luke Cinque-White as Older Billy I thought he was outstanding in Dream Ballet, his timing with Adam was great to watch.
After outside the Wilkinson's house, the show is completely different, so come and see it!! The changes are very enjoyable. Electricity, naturally is this same before, Adam's ballet was so well done and he got a great ovation. One or two more changes again in the proceeding scenes but the finale has not altered.
Lilly Cadwallender as Debbie, is not a character to argue with, great facial expressions showing her disgust at not getting her own way.
Martin Walsh plays a struggling dad, who shows his love for his sons, but can see work as a miner slipping away, but along with Scott Garnham as Tony, they still have that family bond, in a hopeless situation. also having to deal with Grandma, played by Andrea Miller. Martins rendition of “Deep in the Ground is very emotional.
Many were worried about the language away from London, we knew about one or two changes but this audience were in stitches with the punch lines, and roars of laughter with, “me dad does it all the time”, F*** a Duck, Nut Cracker and Esquire.
It must be difficult putting this production on in different theatres, it was only there third show in Bradford but by heck, you wouldn't know. So do your best and get to see this production.
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

Thanks for your review, Barry. Press reviews are good, but reviews from our members are so much more meaningful.
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
Sheffan
Tall Boy

Post by Sheffan »

ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

Welcome to the forum Sheffan. Glad to see that the activation process finally worked. :D I hope you will enjoy it here.
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
Sheffan
Tall Boy

Post by Sheffan »

Another one from the Culture Vulture:

https://theculturevulture.co.uk/blog/re ... inspiring/
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

From the Yorkshire Post:

The extraordinary thing about this so-called musical is that it has its audience, on several occasions, absolutely rapt with nothing more than a young boy performing a piece of contemporary dance.
http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/what-s-o ... z495DKig6d
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

I was fortunate, and I do mean fortunate, to see two performances of the tour at Bradford this week.

The whole cast are brilliant and I cannot pick out a weak link. The changes all worked well and I loved the tweaks in the orchestration. After seeing the show at the VP "a few times" the tour seemed so fresh.

The sound at the theatre is so crisp and there were no dropped lines like at the VP.

If you have been deliberating whether to see the tour or not then all I can say is "definitely go". You will not be disappointed.
Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.

Return to “Reviews - Billy Elliot UK/Ireland Tour”