Edinburgh Reviews

Sheffan
Tall Boy

Re: Edinburgh Reviews

Post by Sheffan »

I can't believe it is nearly 6 months since I started to follow this wonderful, life-affirming show around the UK!! Edinburgh marked my 11th and 12th time seeing the show (Monday 26 and Tuesday 27 September) in 5 of the 6 venues the show has played so far.

After recent dates at the rather modern pristine venues in Cardiff and Dublin – the show is now playing in a more traditional style venue in this case a rather huge 3000 seat ex-cinema built in the late 1920s. I can honestly say that audiences have been treated to the same brilliant staging everywhere – the only small difference I could spot at the Playhouse is that Billy exits the stage at the end on the right as viewed from the stalls. It is of course a tall order for the show to fill all 3000 seats every week night, however at these 2 performances I would estimate there were 2000 present at least – in any case the front stalls were I sat were very full. The auditorium is very dimly lit and has that slightly musty (but not unpleasant) smell that many older buildings have, so during the welfare hall scenes (e.g. Stars Look Down, Christmas Night) I almost felt as if I was in the hall with them and not in a theatre. The lighting looks especially stunning at this venue.

I generally like to chat to my seat neighbour(s) if possible before the show/during the interval and to my amazement I found on the Tuesday night that this was no other than PATC who regularly contributes to this forum. In such a large venue this was an amazing coincidence. It was a real pleasure to speak with him and another forum veteran - Barry Appleby, who also attended on the Tuesday and I was introduced to him outside after the show. Many thanks to them both for their wonderful reviews and everyone else who has done writeups of their experiences.

The cast have just returned from a well deserved two week break and now seem to have real spring in their steps and fire in their hearts following an amazing run in Dublin. The show is very slick now and yet the cast are always finding new heights and intricacies in their performances.

On the Monday, Annette was off and was covered by the wonderful Amy Rhiannon-Worth, a well renowned Welsh actress in her own right. Many fans of the tour will find her easy to spot playing the piano in Stars Look Down, greets Dad and Billy at the start of the audition scene and says “For god's sake Jackie” during He Could Be A Star. Maybe she is not as sarcastic as Annette with the Billys, but she has a powerful singing voice and her choreography was wonderfully and sharply honed in the massive ensemble dance at the end of Solidarity.

Monday's Michael was Samuel and I had a good chance to see him close up. He has really taken the role of Michael to another level. Already aware of how such a small guy can totally dominate the stage after seeing him performing Expressing Yourself from the circle in Dublin, in this performance he found even more from within. His acting and comic timing is impeccable and he really knows how to grab hold of audiences. Adam was Billy on Monday, my third time seeing him. This was by far the best performance from him I have seen. I think he is a particularly fine actor and uses his facial expressions to great effect – he can really project his emotions. I have seen Elliot playing Michael for half the performances I have seen, so it was nice to see his more serious side playing Tall Boy on the Monday. When he punched Adam at the end of the audition scene, this was really made me wince. The contempt in his eyes as he spat on the stage during the strike breaking scene was really noticeable – it shows how versatile he is as an actor even during the more serious scenes. As I've said before, this version of He Could be A Star, originally staged on Broadway is one of the most dark but moving scenes in theatre at the moment.

On Tuesday, Annette was back in the show. Matthew was Billy, only the third time I have seen him. He is a kindred spirit to me, being a Yorkshireman like myself. I really enjoyed his performance once again, full of pathos, fine acting, clear vocals and a particularly burning Angry Dance. Surprisingly, 10 mins into Act 2, the stage manager appeared on stage before the start of the christmas night scene and said Matthew had been taken ill and was being replaced by Lewis who needed 20 mins to warm up. The audience were very understanding and there was not a single sign of displeasure. In fact, a couple siting near to me and Pat said that this in no way spoilt the show – they found it amazing that an equally talented boy was preparing backstage to appear and that this gave them more opportunity to have interesting conversations with the show's fans. When Lewis appeared, he was introduced by the company manager Paul Bouchier and was given very warm applause. It is no disrespect to Matthew to say Lewis gave another strong performance – we were once again treated to his tornado like treatment of Electricity. Henry was present backstage and adeptly took over from Lewis as Tall Boy.

I think Martin Walsh is now really hitting a sweet spot in his portrayal of Dad. In interviews, he comes across as a true macho Northern England born actor but deep down I think he is very emotional – perfect qualities for the part. He appears emotional when mentioning his real life young family who are missing him while he appears on this tour. The way he says “HE IS MY SON” at the end of the audition scene is very touching – only his face is lit but you can see his chin quiver and the real tears in his eyes at this point.

Scott continues to dazzle with his incredibly complex portrayal of Tony balancing his softer and harder sides very effectively. You have to believe there is a softer side to him when view the early scenes in the show....something that hasn't always happened for me when seeing previous holders of this role.

Andrea Miller continues to get strong laughs – apparently she has some Scottish connections.

We are blessed to have the fine veteran actor Leo Atkin as George – he is one of those actors who seem familiar even though you can't place where or when you have seen them. I hope to see him play Dad as cover some day (he apparently did so when Martin was off with a virus in Dublin).

I'm still spotting little nuances of the staging I haven't noticed before. For example, the lone policeman, very distant but brightly lit at the back of the stage just before the audition scene. I guess it symbolises the fading political energy of the story as the strike is coming to an end and Billy's ambitions are about to move forward.

I stayed overnight at the Premier Inn Hub at the side of Waverley rail station. In the daytime, I explored in Edinburgh in particular Holyrood House and Edinburgh Castle/Old Town. There are some very interesting old pubs near the Royal Mile and Grassmarket.
Westletonion
Miner

Post by Westletonion »

Thanks Sheffan for your very wonderfully positive review.

I was able to see three sensational shows in Edinburgh myself this week, on Wednesday 28th and both on the 29th. I feel that it goes from strength to strength and have been delighted to have seen it in Plymouth, Cardiff and Dublin so far.

I attended BETM at the Victoria Palace Theatre ever since its preview days in early 2005 and enjoyed countless sensational performances over all those memorable years and obviously shared everyone’s sorrow when it closed.

Initially I was sceptical that the touring version would anywhere near live up to its mighty ‘big brother’. However attendance at Press Night in Plymouth made me realise that here was a real tour de force in the making. It has been wonderful to see it steadily growing in stature at all the venues and I can honestly say that I enjoy it every bit as much, and maybe even a little bit more, than the original. For me it evokes the same kind of feeling that was generated during the first year of its run in London – a time when if you were able to acquire a ticket you thought you had won the lottery! And when the ‘House Full’ sign was commonplace. The standard of the touring production and all the performers are absolutely first rate. It justly enjoys tremendous appreciation at all venues with full standing ovations after the finale every time.

It is also good to continually bump into familiar faces from earlier days at the VPT and who share this enthusiasm.

I would urge anyone who has not seen it yet to do so and you will be in for a real treat.
Barry Appleby
George

Post by Barry Appleby »

TUESDAY (27th Sept) TO THURSDAY (29th Sept)

Thanks Sheffan for your review for Tuesday, I could tell the audience were quiet concerned with Matthew, who was not able to continue after Merry Christmas Maggie. I can tell you, he returned for the Thursday matinee, well we had our own Hurricane Matthew in the Edinburgh Playhouse, he was outstanding throughout, I always laugh when he is on stage, when Samuel is Michael, because he has to slightly bend to get that peck on the cheek.
I was really chuffed on Wednesday because it has taken me over 7 months to catch Lewis, for the first time, Wow!! he gave a very powerful performance, I hope I don't have to wait so long to see him again, a great smile from him when he finished Electricity.
Thursday night I was pleased to see Adam, I hadn't seen him since Sunderland, he's grown a bit since then, another great performance, I think he plays the cheeky Billy.
Haydn, Bradley and Italia didn't appear last week, they must be locked up in Edinburgh Castle.
The Debbie's were Lily and Evie, they work so hard along with the Ballet girls, often they don't get the recognition they deserve, Well Done Ballet girls you were great throughout.
Samuel, Henry and Elliot were on duty as Michael, so funny as usual, especially with their antics in Expressing Yourself, they are experts at involving the audience in the closing stages of this scene
The Full Senior Cast, you work so hard and are a credit to the show and company, its 13 weeks since I had last seen the show and for me it goes from strength to strength. I think the audiences away from London do enjoy the punch lines more, maybe it because there are less foreign folk, in attendance, and you get plenty of laughs with such as the Toilet scene with Mrs Wilkinson and later with Debbie and then the Esquire joke, goes down well, you get a good laugh with the F*** a duck also.
I do pre fare the tour “He Could be a Star”scene, it doesn't drag on and shows how many villagers gave their last brass in their pockets, in “This and This” to help Billy to achieve his dream.
I always have a laugh when Billy puts his hand up in the Audition scene and say “Can I ask a question?”
All four Billy's do “Electricity,” I call the Liam Mower version, no fancy tricks but danced so very well and I do like the way they are allowed to enjoy their ovation, which is well deserved.
Very heart breaking and tender is the Final Letter scene, Nikki Gerrard plays it so well, if fact the best I've seen.
A very enjoyable couple of days, I've some great memories in the past of Edinburgh, I made the effort again to go over the Forth Rail Bridge. So its a couple of shows in Bristol next.

I enjoyed the video of the Billy's rampaging around the theatre, I wonder what they said when they had to wear the kilts, was it “I'll wear me shorts”
patc
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by patc »

If you tour it … they will come. So, it has proven to be. The mighty BETM Tour machine has arrived in Bonnie Scotland and it’s been a hoot(s) mon. (For younger fans see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BktLpmDNwt0 )

Every night has been a brawt, bricht, stage-lit nicht full of energy and sheer class accompanied by every emotion under the sun. The wee thespian bairns and their older cousins are delivering Stirling performances. Even the folk in the Highlands are getting up off their Arisaigs and heading to the Playhouse to enjoy it….and so they should.

At the VPT, if you did a Billy-thon of four consecutive shows you had a reasonable chance of seeing all four Billys in action. On the tour you have no chance, not that it matters one iota who is actually on. They’re all brilliant. So, it was with a great Ayr of anticipation that I set off last Tuesday morning, Edinburgh bound. The final approach into EDI is over the spectacular Firth of Forth with the famous bridge in view off to the right. Since I was last over there they’ve built a tram system that gets you into town in 35 minutes.

Tuesday evening got the entertainment off to a great start with the energy coming from the stage bouncing off the back walls of the theatre as Matthew (who had got Dublin off to such a fantastic and memorable start) & Co went about their business. I was as surprised as Sheffan when the (originally called) “technical fault” that had stopped the show before the Winter Scene morphed into Matthew being withdrawn due to illness. Whatever it was, it had not been evident during the previous 100 or so minutes in which he had thrilled and enthralled the massive audience in a stunning display of Billyship. Of course, there is no shame in coming off. Over the years at the VPT we had very many instances of Billys being replaced during the show. We even once had three Billys before Part 1 had got halfway. For the watcher it is a feeling of disappointment for the Billy who has had to go off.

Lewis had to be readied for battle which preparations probably included getting harnessed up for the Dream Ballet which was coming up shortly. I had seen quite a bit of Lewis in Dublin so knew what we all were about to see. I’m sure it must be difficult coming in, as it were, cold but not a bother on the lad as he took over where Matthew left off. Two for the price of one was some reward for the enthusiastic crowd that went bananas at the end of Lewis’ Electricity. The VPT Billys always held the final pose as the applause rang out but the Tour Billys walk to front of stage. Lewis’ approach to this reminds me of the great Fox Jackson-Keen. Fox was an expert at milking an audience and had three smiles, mini, medium and major (which was pure gold). As the Electricity applause began we’d usually get a blank face staring at the upper boxes. The longer it went on we got the mini and, with louder appreciation, medium followed. This brought even louder cheers and, provided we worked hard and sustained it long enough, he would turn to face us with the major. It was so much fun to be teased in that fashion. Lewis has his own variation of this and he did it all again the following (Wed) evening in his own magnificently delivered full show that had everyone rocking in the aisles. No wonder he has jointly with former Billy, Harris Beattie, an island named after him in the Hebrides.

Arriving at the theatre on Thursday afternoon I was delighted to see Matthew had recovered and was all set to go again. Well, Holy Moley. Whatever tonic they had given him certainly worked and the matinee audience had a ball as he powerfully and classily acted, sang and danced his way through a show sizzling with atmosphere.

For the evening show Adam (who had left Dublin audiences gasping for more in the final show at the BGE) provided equally magnificent and gold-plated entertainment for another enraptured and disbelieving audience. We also got Adam and Ev(i)e in the Toilet Scene :D .

Even after all these years of watching the show I am still in total awe of what these amazing Billys can do and they just take everything in their stride. In the second half of the show after such immensely physical extravaganzas as Dream Ballet and Electricity they stroll effortlessly back on stage as if they had just been relaxing over tea and biscuits backstage. Not even out of breath.

As always with BETM, the Michaels are permitted to go about their business with their own individual styles and last week’s duty trio of Elliot, Henry and Samuel were spectacularly brilliant in everything they did whether it was setting the stage alight in Expressing Yourself or expressing their feelings to Billy in the Winter scene. Their bit o’ ballet routines are hilarious.

Debbies Evie and Lilly each did two of the shows I saw and you couldn’t ask for more. In addition to their feistiness duties they both expertly handled “Me Mam’s dead” with superb unrushed aplomb and all of the Toilet Scenes provoked uproarious laughter.

SB/Ballet Girl Nicola looked to be having the time of her life in both roles and is the last person we see as the curtain descends on the evening’s proceedings…because she’s lying on the floor waving with a great big smile on her.

When you think that the Ballet girls did all eight shows in a week that is some achievement especially bearing in mind all of the skills they have to get through. Even the West End divas take a night off. The pink dresses segment is still my favourite. In my childhood days a character called Plastic Man appeared in a weekly comic. He could stretch his body and limbs into all shapes and bounced like being on a trampoline. These amazing girls appear to be doing something like that in that sensational dance segment…except they don’t need plastic or a trampoline. How they remember all the body, head and limb moves is beyond me. Brilliant stuff….and I also love watching their individual reactions during Dad’s angry outburst when he discovers Billy at ballet.

Thanks to Real Geordie, Westletonion, Barry and Sheffan (yes, extraordinary to meet in such coincidental circumstances) for their great and positive comprehensive comments and reviews. Music to my ears. It is correct that Martin has changed. It started in Dublin the night he resumed having been indisposed for a while. I happened to be there that evening and his upped anger practically tore strips off the theatre paintwork.

Indeed, the principal adult cast are perfection personified and, along with the Ensemble, continue to attain the highest heights as recorded in my previous reviews with enough energy coming off the stage to power the whole of Scotland including the Highlands and up as far as the Faroes. As a group they appear to be much younger than any previous Ensembles in BETM and they have limitless physical energy. As (I think) they say in Scotland, “They gie it laldy”.

The London show evolved steadily over 10 years with Dream Ballet being possibly the only scene that remained unchanged to the end. Like Westletonion said above, the Tour is every bit as good as London and some of the scenes have magnificent new staging that has evolved even further and increased the enjoyment and, importantly, the emotional impact. Notably, Angry Dance, He could be a Star and The Audition. My heart skips a beat every time I see the VPT backdrop at the Royal Ballet. It’s a toss up whether I prefer Posh Dad or Posh Mumsies. They both have their own sets of fun. They have been very clever with Angry Dance which, in London, was mostly Billy. Having Billy as the initial centrepiece, followed by fantastically choreographed showmanship and athleticism by the Ensemble interacting with Billy to complete the “jigsaw” after which he resumes his centrepiece role with the Riot Squad is a quite brilliantly conceived idea. Hats off to the genius of the creatives.

And the music. Every show you hear something new, however small, to add to the collection of exquisite arrangements that are now so familiar. Bravo to the Maestro and his merry band of players for delivering this musical delight every show.

If and when the show returns to London I would expect it to be similar to the tour show. Thankfully, the wonderful final London version is preserved forever on DVD/BluRay and will always be revered but time and stage waits for no man.

Meanwhile, there’s more than a moose loose about the (Play)hoose and I widnae bet that I widnae sneak another one in before it closes up there.

Pat
andrewcraig
Tony

Post by andrewcraig »

quote Barry Appleby
I enjoyed the video of the Billy's rampaging around the theatre, I wonder what they said when they had to wear the kilts, was it “I'll wear me shorts

That post jolted me as nobody mentioned wearing kilts in the show. Please let me know did they or not?
patc
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by patc »

andrewcraig wrote:quote Barry Appleby
I enjoyed the video of the Billy's rampaging around the theatre, I wonder what they said when they had to wear the kilts, was it “I'll wear me shorts

That post jolted me as nobody mentioned wearing kilts in the show. Please let me know did they or not?
Nobody said they were wearing kilts in the show. The clue is in the words highlighted in red above., i.e., "the video" referring to the promotional video released by the Billy Company for the Scottish run.

Pat
emcpow
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by emcpow »

patc wrote:
andrewcraig wrote:quote Barry Appleby

Nobody said they were wearing kilts in the show. The clue is in the words highlighted in red above., i.e., "the video" referring to the promotional video released by the Billy Company for the Scottish run.

Pat
And here is a link to said video:

https://youtu.be/ZWTpplR7eek
jmh2014
Tall Boy

Post by jmh2014 »

Thank you to everyone for the amazingly comprehensive reviews.

Roll on Bristol!
Barry Appleby
George

Post by Barry Appleby »

What a Great review Pat, "I ALL---WAYS KNEW YOU WOULD GET" (one done)

Barry
dancingboy
Billy

Post by dancingboy »

1 Night in Bankok
2 Nights in Edinburgh
3 Shows at the Playhouse Theatre

Before last week I had only seen one performance of the Tour, a matinee in Cardiff during July. Those of you who remember my review then will know that I was not particularly impressed. At that show Billy was played by Lewis and Michael by Elliot. I was, therefore, a little sceptical about going again, but as other friends were going to the Edinburgh part of the Tour I decided to join them on Wednesday and for both shows on Thursday.

On the Wednesday evening Billy was played by Haydn and Michael by Bradley, who I had seen many times before in London. It was soon eveident to me that Haydn was thoroughly at home on the stage. There have been times, when watching BETM, that I have closed my eyes for some seconds to get a 'feeling' from the stage and did so this evening. The feeling of being drawn on to the stage by Haydn was strong and I felt 'at home', as did Haydn. Certainly, he was lively and without doubt had grasped the role of Billy. His overall and all round performance was excellent and fully warranted the standing ovations he received after Electricity and at the end of the show. Bradley was Bradley, with very little change in how he performed at the VP. He knew the part and did his job well, even though he had some difficulty in putting his coat back on at the end of the Winter scene.

On the Thursday eveing it was a chance to see Lewis again, which I was quite pleased about as it gave me the chance to see what progression he had made since July. What a pleasant surprise he gave me. He bristled with confidence from start to finish, acted well and his performance culminated ina well-timed, perfectly danced Electricity. This earned him a long standing ovation, which, he appeared to 'lap up'.
From what I saw of Haydn and Lewis on those evenings I can honestly say that they would not have been out of place at the VPT.
With Lewis on Thursday Michael was played in scintillating style, reminiscent of a few Michaels from the VP, by Henry Farmer. With his wide-awake eyes, facial expressions aplenty, plus excellent diction, he was a joy to watch.

At the Thursday matinee Billy was played by Adam, another I had not seen previously, with Elliot as Michael. I had enjoyed seeing Elliot in Cardiff , so knew what to expect and he didn't let me down. During the first half of the show I thought Adam was somewhat subdued, for whatever reason, and I didn't get any 'vibes' coming from the stage. His performance early on was a little bit static. However, he seemed to relish the ballet in the second half and Dream Ballet and Electricity were both danced with feeling and were well received by the audience.

As we all know changes were made to various scenes for the Tour, meaning scenes weredifferent to what we were used to in London. To me,
some changes are alright, but others not quite so. In the Tour form Angry Dance is simply not the same. I cannot understand the significance of Billy being hoisted up to and on large placards and what is angry about half the ensemble members spinning and pirouetting about the stage. To me, that is a total nonsense. Let's get back to seeing Billy behaving angrily and knocking hell out of the stage with his tap shoes.

As in Cardiff, I thought that some of the adult cast were shouting too many of their lines, as though they didn't have mics attached. It is possible to bring about meaning and feeling without the necessity to shout all the time. Annette, as Mrs Wilkinson, was slightly better than when I saw her in Cardiff, but, once again, didn't see a great deal of rapport between her and the Billys.

At the end of the day, it was good to be back watching BETM again, as I saw it more than a few times in London.I have no doubt I will be back, probably in Manchester around Christmas time.

PS 1 Night in Bangkok has no significance here. I just thought it had a nice ring to it for my heading.

Return to “Reviews - Billy Elliot UK/Ireland Tour”