Bristol Reviews

ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Bristol Reviews

Post by ERinVA »

Daniel Page has turned out to be just about my favorite Mr. B. ever! He is just hilarious without taking anything away from Billy and Mrs. W.'s performance. The whole B2B number is wonderful!
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
Sheffan
Tall Boy

Post by Sheffan »

Wow!! What really great reviews!! Thanks very much Flyin High, Real Geordie, jmh2014. Making me even more excited for my visit later this week.

This week may prove to be the one with the best attendance by forum members. It is beginning to resemble a tag team effort!! Hope you are having a good time Patc, Barry & Westletonion (I'm sure you will all put pen to paper) :D - enjoy your shows & best wishes. Westletonion - looking forward to meeting up with you for both shows this Thursday. I will also be there on Friday. As if this wasn't enough MsRF is attending Friday/Saturday.

Review coming soon
patc
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by patc »

For eleven years the VPT Billys swept all before them with glistening and ethereal presence on that hallowed stage. The Tour Billys have done the same except that they have also become like mighty Celestial Travellers, swooping down to reside in and illuminate lucky communities in enterprising style before gliding up, up and away to discover another deserving place. Those who bathe in this light are revitalised and refreshed, not to mention regally entertained. The temptation to anticipate and be ready for their next visitation remains irresistible.

It’s so much fun following the Touring Billy and enjoying each of the cities visited. Bristol is already one of my favourite cities so it was a most enjoyable trip back there on Tuesday and Wednesday of this week. It was also very appropriate that my first show there was led by Haydn performing on his local turf, well, floorboards.

If you like a good rake in a theatre stalls you won’t do much, if any, better than the Hippo. Each row sits on a higher step than the one in front so even a 6-footer in front won’t block the view.

Symphony No. 96 by Joseph Haydn is entitled “The Miracle” but, if Joey himself had been at the Hippo on Tuesday evening, he would have beheld a real miracle in the form of Haydn May. Joey’s miracle plays just over 20 minutes. Haydn’s goes on for three incredible hours. We have since heard that Haydn did it again twice on Thursday and 3 out of 4. Longtime BETM fans will know that this is approaching “iPad territory”.

Another miracle happened on Wednesday evening when Adam Abbou stormed on to emulate Haydn’s performance and bring another 1900 people to their feet at the end of an evening of unrivalled theatrical experience. Adam had already done the Monday show and Tall Boy on Tuesday. (and I see he is on again tonight)

Stage presence, acting, singing and dancing they had it all and both Electricity’s were mindblowingly and emotionally brilliant. Every drop of energy used to ultimate effect.

I don’t use the word “miracle” lightly. To think that these amazingly talented boys can maintain top-quality performances of this calibre during a long, relentless, bruising professional touring show which is entirely dependent on them, stopping in strange hotels in strange cities, with school in the mornings followed by rehearsals and then shows finishing at 10.30pm. This is not just exquisite talent. This is exquisite talent accompanied by such powerful resilience that the rest of us have to just stand back and admire.

Michael’s Henry and Elliot, were OUTSTANDINGLY BRILLIANT in their roles and lifted the atmosphere another notch altogether with their spectacular Expressings. Bradley was hilariously posh at the RBS.

Lilly was called upon to play Debbie in both shows and did so with such professional aplomb and the classy Ballet Girls team as always enriched every scene they appear in with some fabulous dancing and acting as required.

It has been fascinating to watch how the magnificent handpicked adult cast have honed and fine-tuned their individual roles as the Tour progressed from Plymouth onwards, showing how much intelligent thought they have applied. At each visit I look forward to noticing any alterations no matter how slight. Every single one of them could walk straight into any future West End Billy show.

The skill, energy and power of the Ensemble members is there for all to see and their renditions of the stunning harmonies are emotionally draining every show.

All of the great musicals I have seen, despite their greatness contain one or two scenes that might be described as dull at best and boring at worst but Billy doesn’t. For me, it doesn’t have a dull milli-second, in fact, every milli-second is enthralling and engrossing. You can’t take your eyes off it and it takes multiples views to take it all in.

Billy also pulls a final rabbit out of the hat with a contagiously effervescent Finale that makes you want to dance out of the theatre on stilts. It is an enormous pleasure to stand up and applaud to the high heavens as the entire cast, having more than fulfilled their part of the bargain, energetically wave and smile back. It is the crowning moment where those Celestial Travellers briefly merge into one with mere mortals. With the addition of Liverpool and Milton Keynes they have many more spacemiles still to traverse and you’d be foolish not to be there when they touch down.

Pat
andrewcraig
Tony

Post by andrewcraig »

Issue last night with the curtain down. Quoted difficult issue with stairs?
Sheffan
Tall Boy

Post by Sheffan »

Great reviews Pat & Barry...thanks!!
Barry Appleby
George

Post by Barry Appleby »

Tuesday / Wednesday 8th & 9th November (Evening)

Haven't we had some great positive reviews over the last couple of weeks for the Tour, they've been great, I've so enjoyed reading them.
Well I came up trumps! again this week with Haydn and Adam, I think Pat has covered all the aspects and done me a favour making it easy for me.
I watched two shows, Tuesday and Wednesday, the first half in row C in the stalls and the 2nd half sat at the back of the theatre on an attendants chair, in both shows, suffering with shin cramp early on, so in a way it was good to see the show from the back, were you can relish the stage lighting. I thought it was a great view in the stalls, but found the seats low, for leg room, maybe it was me but I thought the theatre was a bit cold.
Last time I saw Haydn was early on at Bradford, Adam was on my last show at Edinburgh, naturally both didn't disappoint, I so enjoyed both of their performances they worked so hard and what a busy week they both have had. The promotional video's seem to show Haydn having a hard time, well pal you did two show on Thursday, just show them, who's the boss. It always creases me when Billy puts his hand up in the Audition scene and says “Can I ask a question?” and also when he says “No dance!” seems daft but that's me.
When you look at Angry Dance, it must take a lot of rehearsing, I wonder how many of the Ensemble get trapped fingers, I really enjoy this version, so much involvement, filling the stage with action, plus great musical backing.
Dream Ballet with Luke, and also Electricity were superb by both, the timing was spot on. I know one or two people used to enjoy the different versions of Electricity by the Billy's in London, to be honest I did enjoyed Ollie Gardener and Ryan Collinson performances. But I'm going to say I think the tour style of Electricity is fair on all the four Billy's and is performed so well and so enjoyable and “I like it dad”
As Pat said Henry and Elliot were Michael, they had the audience in the palm of the their hands, excellent performances from them both. Not seen Bradley yet since he returned but was lucky on Wednesday, to see him as Posh Boy, he was brilliant.
Lilly did Debbie on both nights, she really does work hard putting on that bossy attitude. I just wish the Debbie's and Michaels had a bit more time in the finale, for the audience to show their appreciation for their efforts, it has always wrangled with me from London.
After He Could be a Star, and that's what the government wanted, was for the miners to fight amongst themselves, this scene is so poinent, and when the Ensemble go into “This and This” it really brings a lump to my throat as my sister had a business in a pit village near Doncaster and has told me how difficult and a struggle it was, in the latter stages of the strike, for the families to pay for their groceries.
To the Senior Cast, I'm not naming any, so I don't miss anyone out and the Wonderful Ensemble you go from strength to strength every time I see the show, I'm in no doubt you would all grace the West End with your performances.
The Ballet Girls, you were great on both nights, you get a real laugh from the audience when you go all go strutting across the stage in the Audition scene, Well done to all of you.
The one thing you do notice in the tour, as I was sat at the back, the punch lines do get through to the audience so well, so much better than London.
Well a Big Thanks again to all the Cast, hope to see you in Manchester.
Sheffan
Tall Boy

Post by Sheffan »

Thurs matinee & evening 10 November + Friday 11 November

Wow, what an amazing few days it has been, having just returned from my 7th “Billython” (I did 2 visits to Sunderland to make up for not being there in Plymouth). In these times of depressing news stories and the dark mornings and nights at this time of year, Billy has again cheered, recharged and moved me in equal measure. It is a heartening thought to think that thousands of Bristolians (yes, I looked that one up!!) have had their lives similarly enriched in the last few weeks...well, at least for a few hours.
This is my first proper visit to Bristol and the Hippodrome (i.e. staying overnight). I had only been to the Hippodrome once before in 1990 for the UK tour of Chess The Musical – done as a matinee day trip.

Before I move on to cover the matinee itself, just to say that Westletonion had found out the day before that there were a few independent and reasonably priced restaurants in the quiet picturesque Denmark St which runs round the side of the theatre towards the stage door, literally one a minute walk from the main entrance. Another regular called Rodger (correct spelling?) also joined us and we had much to talk about discussing our views of the show over a delicious Indian meal (didn’t need to book). Another guy they knew – John W had to return home but he was back the following night on his own. I spotted him in the bar and we had a nice long chat in the pub next door to the theatre after the show. On the Friday afternoon, I dined alone at a nice Italian diner a few doors further down the same street – almost opposite the stage door.

With regards to the matinee, it is a shame I wasn’t there the week before at the one Real Geordie attended!! At this one, the audience was rather more subdued and only really got going when Billy and Michael were on. Still they managed a standing ovation but only at the very end. Even though I book with no knowledge of which Billy I will see – Haydn managed yet another 2 shows for me to see – getting on for nearly half of all the performances i have attended so far. Haydn has really grown since I last saw him. He astonished me again in all respects – fine acting with a steely determination in his eyes. He really immerses himself emotionally in the role. Haydn said something in a recent BBC West TV clip which sticks in my mind. He said he felt an obligation in each and every performance to try really hard to do his best for his audiences. These are not idle words put into his mouth by others – he proved himself admirably later the same evening (see below). He has a dedication and discipline in the role beyond his years. Jack Butterworth did a sterling job as older Billy in this matinee and in all 3 shows Amy (cover for Annette) showed her amazing versatility. She played a policeman (not a policewoman) in Solidarity – presumably covering for someone else. Only fans of the show, familiar with her would have really noticed.
At this matinee, Bradley played Michael and Henry Farmer played Tall Boy, reversing their roles that evening. That really suited me as they were the Michaels I was least familiar with, having seen them only once or twice beforehand. I can honestly say I don’t have a favourite Michael or Billy - they are just so wonderfully diverse it is impossible to compare. I’m surprised Bradley didn’t crack the floor, his Expressing Yourself tap routine was so blistering and full on. For once, Michael rather than Billy gets to dominate the scene. Bradley’s family home is only a few miles from me in Sheffield. Henry was also a revelation – he has grown taller since the last time I saw him – love his wide eyed crazy facial gestures and little improvisations here and there. As others have said, he is also very good at portraying his sensitive side in the Christmas night scene. A big talent for the future.

As many will be aware, the Thursday evening show was astonishing. On returning after our meal, the cast board said Matthew was playing Billy. It was later corrected by the interval, but me and the others were very surprised when Haydn appeared once again. Apparently him and Adam had been sharing the workload on their own all week as Matthew and Lewis were too unwell to perform. Haydn took this in his stride. He is a credit to his family and the show for this incredible spirit of dedication and tenacity. This is unprecedented and I’m sure the management would have understood if he didn’t feel able to perform again on the same day. We’ll never know for sure, but Haydn may have spared thousands of Bristolians from having their tickets cancelled and refunded this week. In such a situation it would have been difficult for them to reschedule with only a few weeks of the run left. Haydn managed to pull all the stops for his Electricity spin and was rewarded by a standing ovation. He looked very emotional as he soaked in the audience reaction.

Adam was again playing Billy on Friday night. I have seen him a few times and he just gets better and better. It’s hard to find the right words, but he played the role so beautifully in every way both brave yet vulnerable on this night. The audience were really buzzing – it was the first time that I have heard the audience applaud Billy the moment he is off the floor in Dream Ballet. Even Olivia, the new Small Boy, had a round of applause as she carried on the radio at the start – doesn’t usually happen. Adam’s Electricity applause started before he had even finished singing! As I mentioned above, there was the usual gremlin with the stairs prior to Angry Dance resulting in a 20 minute delay, but unlike the incident in Edinburgh - the issue was resolved and the show could continue as normal. I had an interesting chat with my seat neighbours whilst this was going on - they were fascinated by the show. Nobody was in the least bit bothered by the delay.

I am puzzled why one reviewer thinks there is not much rapport between Annette and the Billys. The fact that there are always plenty of tears around the audience for The Letter makes this hard to fathom.

I like the angrier Dad – Martin does a sterling job. I like a bit of darkness in the show. It makes his underlying decency and compassion all the more poignant later in the story. Daniel Page as Mr Braithwaite, what more can I say other than to concur with all the other reviewers!

The Hippodrome resembles a smaller version of Edinburgh playhouse with a similar feel which works well in the welfare hall scenes for example. Also the ghostly dancers in Andrea Miller’s song also seem very poignant at this venue.

As requested by a few people who have messaged me – here are details of my sightseeing all done for the first time. On the Friday, the weather was chilly but very sunny and there were colourful autumn leaves on the trees everywhere. I started with the huge cathedral then had a lovely, leisurely stroll round the floating harbour (commercial shipping ceased in 1975) – 80 acres of quayside has been restored with museums, galleries and cafes. I visited M Shed – a museum of Bristol life and people, then crossed the beautiful Georgian style Queens Square to St Mary Redcliffe Church – almost as big as a cathedral. Much of Bristol heritage relates to Victorian era journeys to the States and Canada. After a snack, I climbed the Cabot tower at the summit of the park behind the Hippodrome – built in 1897 to mark the 400th anniversary of Cabot’s discovery of Newfoundland in 1497. On Saturday, I resisted the temptation to book the matinee – instead I visited the ship SS Great Britain salvaged in 1970 from the Falkland Islands where it had been left to rust followed by the Bristol Museum & Art Gallery, once again up the hill behind the theatre.

Next show for me is a day trip to Manchester for the 17 Dec matinee. I will then return to Manchester for the Friday 13 January , Monday 16 January and Tuesday 17 January shows.
patc
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by patc »

I'm lovin' all the great Tour reviews on the Forum. Thanks to Barry and Sheffan for your very latest.

Michael O’Leary’s generous offer of flights for 2 Euro each way (I kid you not) proved to be irresistible so I ended up back in Bristol for Tuesday evening’s performance starring that incredible dancing phenomenon known as Lewis Smallman. After this the Bristol City Council will be receiving petitions to rename Lewins Mead as Lewis Mead! Such is his dancing versatility I’d expect he’d have no problem getting into even Riverdance with just a few days practising. Add in wonderful acting, a most pleasant singing voice and those killer audience-tugging smiles after an Electricity (that includes spins that would make even the infamous Tri-State Tornado green with envy) and you get a fair idea of what the experience was like.

With the whole cast in overdrive mode the entire show rocked, rolled, exhilarated, dazzled, delighted, thrilled and exhausted emotions like Concorde used fuel, proving yet again that, no matter how many times you see it, the result is the same every time - pure magic.

The supporting child cast were as luminously effervescent as ever, with Bradley (Michael), Italia (Debbie), Samuel, and the Magnificent 6 (including Isobelle also as SB) displaying class, commitment and excellence.

The magnificent adult cast, with Tom Bainbridge standing in brilliantly for Scott as Tony, never let up for a second as the show moved along at an electrifying pace.

The shadows on the back wall have not been discussed much, if at all. They seem to be more frequent and more prominent in the Tour show and add a really good effect where they appear. I sometimes wonder if the Angry Dance shadows whilst Billy is up top are an homage to Jailhouse Rock. (Younger fans will need to look that up).

From the front row of the stalls the stage is quite high. On Tuesday evening I was in the front row left in a position not dissimilar to Row B left at the VPT and, during the beautifully danced and flown Dream Ballet, for a few brief moments it felt like I was back there. In Row B (15-17) we always had to shift our feet as Billy departed but, at the Hippo, he carries the suitcase down the left side stage steps and then through the front row in order to reach the middle and climb up the centre aisle steps. He returns the same way for the Finale. (Small “Boy” does likewise carrying the radio at the beginning of the show). There is good enough room for all this to happen and everyone just pulled back in their seats to ensure no obstacles in the way.

This time the weather in Bristol was wet and cooler but the warmth emitting from the stage more than cancelled that out. Those 4 Euro would have just about paid for a coffee in my local Costa. Thanks to Lewis & Co. I believe I got much superior value in Bristol. Don’t you?

Pat
Westletonion
Miner

Post by Westletonion »

Thanks for all these wonderful and positive reviews of this brilliant show. I used to thoroughly enjoy the London show over all the years but have exactly similar enthusiasm for the Touring production which is truly first rate. And lots of the old VPT faces are turning up everywhere now!
jmh2014
Tall Boy

Post by jmh2014 »

Westletonion wrote:Thanks for all these wonderful and positive reviews of this brilliant show. I used to thoroughly enjoy the London show over all the years but have exactly similar enthusiasm for the Touring production which is truly first rate. And lots of the old VPT faces are turning up everywhere now!
Completely agrees with your comments. Cannot wait for Manchester in the New Year.

Return to “Reviews - Billy Elliot UK/Ireland Tour”