Manchester Reviews

porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Manchester Reviews

Post by porschesrule »

A place for press and fan reviews of the BETMUK Tour stop in Manchester.
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Manchester Reviews

Post by porschesrule »

Here's a first review after "Press Night" in Manchester. It's glowing!

http://www.northwestend.co.uk/index.php ... manchester
andrewcraig
Tony

Post by andrewcraig »

Manchester evening News
press on the highlights as they include more
http://www.newslocker.com/en-uk/region/ ... atre/view/
Sheffan
Tall Boy

Post by Sheffan »

andrewcraig
Tony

Post by andrewcraig »

Sheffan
Tall Boy

Post by Sheffan »

More glowing reviews

https://www.manchesterconfidential.co.u ... ce-theatre

http://www.manchestersfinest.com/arts/b ... er-review/

I will write a blog review after I have attended the Dec 17 matinee and also the January 13,16 and 17 shows
patc
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by patc »

Thursday Matinee 8th December

Fantastic show, a new Billy plus three Michaels on stage at the same time. What an afternoon we had.

First and foremost it has always been exciting to arrive at the theatre and see the latest Billy’s name on the board. We experienced this multiple, multiple times at the VPT but this was the first time since the Tour began. The sense of anticipation was enormous. We know that each new Billy will have been trained to a particular high standard and it is such reward thereafter for fans to watch his progress as the weeks and months go by and he fine-tunes his role. On the Tour we have already been royally rewarded in this regard with Adam, Haydn, Lewis and Matthew. It is now Emile’s turn.

Well, to be Billy, you have to be, as Mrs. W says, VFS and Emile is most certainly VFS. During the first half of the show we discovered he has one of those endearing voices that grab your emotions from the beginning. I’m willing to bet that the entire audience wanted to rush on stage during the Letter to offer comfort and solace. Some wonderful facial expressions were revealed and, Holy Jemoley, can this boy dance. Angry Dance from top of the stairs to finally hitting the ground before the break was breathtakingly brilliant. Dream Ballet with Luke gave loads of clues about what was to come at the RBS.

Like so many times before I could hardly wait for the Big One. Like so many similar times my tear ducts were armed. Patrick Hurley’s single note on the piano signalled that the singular magic was about to begin. Despite the first line of the song, Emile did really "explain it" very well and the passion bubbled in his eyes just before he threw himself overboard into action. What followed in the next five minutes was, indeed, magical. With poise and grace he danced a most beautiful ballet Electricity, in perfect fusion with the music, even having time to look straight into Dad’s eyes as he soared effortlessly across him. Had he had coloured smoke emitters in his hands and feet (like the Red Arrows) we would have seen the most glorious of perfect kaleidoscopical patterns swirling across the width and depth of the stage. As the audience held its breath Emile retreated to the back of the stage and then finished off with a series of spectacular spins that sent waves of emotion around the theatre and deep into my very heart and soul. That very specific point when the Billy in the show merges with the real-life dancing boy. They become one. Then, to cap it all, Emile walked forward with a big smile to acknowledge the gob-smacked audience’s applause. There are no better moments in BETM than this. I don’t know if his folks were there today but, one way or t’other, they must have been so proud. This was only his fifth performance so I am looking forward very much to enjoying Emile’s progress over the next few months as the show continues on its merry way.

We’ve had Billys and Michaels playing Tall Boy/Small Boy a few times before in emergencies but, with Bradley (Michael), Henry (Tall Boy) and Elliot (Small Boy) in the Boxing Scene, it may have been the first time ever for three “Michaels” to be on stage at the same time in a regular show.

BTW, Elliot threw everything into his “emergency” role with no holds barred, that’s for sure and, for the record, he did spend some time sitting on certain people’s shoulders and was “lifted” more than once!!

Bradley’s no holds barred Michael was as exuberant as ever mixed with some nice pathos in the Winter Scene. His Nutcracker went down extremely well.

Italia’s no holds barred cheekiness was most enjoyable and capped it all with a hilarious Toilet Scene that the school groups present were deliriously happy with.

The adult cast continue to amaze me. Their level of consistency, professionalism and sheer quality in each and every role is staggering. They’re so real that, at this stage, if I happened to meet them in the street, I’d almost ask them how are things in Easington these days. My original intention was to make just the one visit to each city of the Tour. That soon went by the board as there is no way I could wait that long to see this unmissable and unforgettable entertainment again.

So, it’s congratulations to Emile on his brilliant performance today and thanks to him and his merry cast for sending circa 2,000 people home very happy and immeasurably uplifted. A very wet and dank Manchester was lit up by delightful multicoloured rainbows.

Pat
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

As always, Pat, a very descriptive and enjoyable review. Thanks again for sharing your thoughts.

Return to “Reviews - Billy Elliot UK/Ireland Tour”