Tall Boy

Liverpool Reviews

Post by Sheffan »

A place for fan and press reviews of the BETM UK tour stop in Liverpool
cheltonian
Small Boy

Re: Liverpool Reviews

Post by cheltonian »

I attended the matinee at Liverpool today. The Empire is a bit of a come down after Birmingham Hippodrome and has a somewhat run down and seedy feel to the place. My impression was that the stage was both narrower and shallower than the other venues, I particularly noticed that dream ballet seemed to be performed nearer to the front edge of the stage than usual.

Haydn was on duty as Billy with Henry as Michael. Adam played Tall Boy. This was my first time seeing Anna Jane as Mrs Wilkinson, she gives a very different interpretation of the part and plays it rather more hard-nosed than Annette. I felt, perhaps not surprisingly, that there had been a chemistry between Haydn and Annette which, as yet, is not there with Anna Jane and which I missed. Haydn never fails to impress, I felt he allowed more of his own character to come through today which I very much enjoyed. His letter scene brought the house to silence, Dream Ballet was sublime and had the audience giving generous applause before the end of the routine. His Electricity is close to perfection showcasing his strong singing, convincing acting and stunning dancing and tumbling.

Although only a minor part, I loved Adam's Posh Boy this afternoon. He and Haydn really seemed to enjoy playing off each other in this scene.

There were a couple of unwelcome shouts from the circle this afternoon, not sure what they were about, one of which occurred at the start of the Finale and could easily have thrown Haydn, but he carried on like a pro. The standing ovation this afternoon started before the final curtain up and solo tumbling and was well deserved.

One other point of interest, when Jackie asked the smoking ballet dancer (played by a different actor) "where the hell do you come from" the answer was "Liverpool", which the audience loved, and he played the part as a scouser.
Sheffan
Tall Boy

Post by Sheffan »

First newspaper review is already in - from the Liverpool Echo.

EXCERPT:
At just 14 years old he carried the performance with his voice, dancing and acting.
Not only did Adam put on a stellar performance but the other young performers such as Bradley Mayfield as Michael won over crowds too.
Together the double act these two can break hearts and the chemistry between the two is fantastic.

Full review:

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/whats-on ... e-13017404
Sheffan
Tall Boy

Post by Sheffan »

Another good review from Female First:

http://www.femalefirst.co.uk/culture/bi ... 59029.html

It is rather puzzling there doesn't seem to be many reviews for Liverpool, or at least they are coming in rather slowly
Real Geordie
Ballet Girl

Post by Real Geordie »

Wednesday (opening night), Thursday matinee and Thursday evening (press night)

This is just a few thoughts about all three performances. Firstly, I agree with cheltonian’s comments about a feeling of a come down after the Hippodrome. I think this is first and foremost an attitude issue. The Hippodrome genuinely tried to make every visitor welcome and provide an enjoyable theatre going experience. At too many venues on this BETM tour people have been treated like profit units on a spreadsheet. Flog you as much as possible at rip off prices. If they can’t sell you anything, then herd you into cramped holding pens until it suits them to open the auditorium. Long queues outside - the weather lousy, windy, rain, sleet - not my problem guvnor, want to buy an umbrella ? For many people attending BETM this is their first experience of live theatre - they are no doubt blown away by the show itself, but otherwise I doubt if they are impressed at the way they are treated by the venue management. Anyhow - my Victor Meldrew moment over for now.

The opening night - as all three performances - was well attended, with a capacity of slightly under 2,500, the audience on that night including Elliott Hanna. The obvious point of interest was the cast changes. All of the replacement cast have been cast members of BETM before, either at Victoria Palace or AFAS Circustheater in Scheveningen. Of these the principal change was Mrs Wilkinson. As expected the transition was practically seamless. On the soft centre/hard exterior scale, again I agree with cheltonian that Anna Jane is a bit more of a toughie and acerbic with it, and in the pre Angry Dance scene squared up to Tony as though she would have been quite prepared to give him a smack in the mouth. However, I for one really enjoyed her interpretation - a bubbly extrovert. The other change involving a speaking role was Milan van Weelden taking over as Big Davey. He is a giant of a man, and completely dwarfs everyone else on stage. On opening night he seemed a little tentative - it can’t be easy taking on a speaking role not in your native language, whilst at the same time trying to speak in dialect. Having got the first night over, he then grew in confidence and nobody would have guessed he was Dutch. Amusing seeing him stand next to small “boy”.

A merited mention for Bradley - nobody can do the shoulder shake like he does in the boxing scene, and it always gets the audience going. The Billys - well, they were the Billys as usual - all superlatives have been used up by now, nothing more needs to be said. It is some time now since there has been any mechanical breakdown involving the set (maybe I have been lucky) but as someone commented when leaving the theatre, everything is so slick - a well oiled machine progressing from start to finish.

As already mentioned the ballet dancer from Glasgow has now become the ballet dancer from Liverpool with a thick as treacle scouser scally accent. All three performances drew a loud cheer from the audience - what does a Milton Keynes accent sound like I wonder ?

The audiences were - different ! They applauded at every possible opportunity, and gave loud vocal support, especially during the finale. All in all enthusiastic and appreciative. However, if the whooping noises were a distraction during the matinee performance, they were as nothing compared to Thursday evening. There were regular interventions from a small section of the audience throughout, and during the start of the finale, at the commencement of the ensemble tapping, a number of people started to whoop together. If it was meant to be enthusiastic support, it was more of a hindrance. Trying to synchronise group tapping if you can’t hear easily can’t be of help. The fact that it happened over two performances suggests different people were involved. Exuberant youngsters ? Grannies on a day out sodden with mothers ruin ? No idea.

Finish !
angelenroute
Billy

Post by angelenroute »

cheltonian wrote:One other point of interest, when Jackie asked the smoking ballet dancer (played by a different actor) "where the hell do you come from" the answer was "Liverpool", which the audience loved, and he played the part as a scouser.
I love it! :D

Will add, though, that as an American, I didn't know the word "scouser". For anyone wondering, it just means someone who lives in or comes from Liverpool.

"Good writers define reality; bad ones merely restate it." -Edward Albee
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

I have heard that the Liverpool dialect is called "Scouse." Can anyone confirm or deny that?
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

ERinVA wrote:I have heard that the Liverpool dialect is called "Scouse." Can anyone confirm or deny that?
That is my understanding. 'Scousers' is the term used for Liverpudlians. Scouse is an old word used for a meat (or fish) stew commonly eaten by sailors. Liverpool is a major seaport; hence the name came onshore via the sailors frequenting the port. Scouse was a common local food in Liverpool.
cheltonian
Small Boy

Post by cheltonian »

ERinVA wrote:I have heard that the Liverpool dialect is called "Scouse." Can anyone confirm or deny that?
That's correct
Sheffan
Tall Boy

Post by Sheffan »

Real Geordie and Cheltonian make some interesting points. Wonder if the shouting was from dancing school students?

Really looking forward to my Billython 24-27 May. Can't wait!! I know the city very well after studying there over 30 years ago and try to go there at least once a year. However, I haven't been to a show at the Empire since the early 1990s.

On the subject of "scouse" stew it is more properly known as "lobscouse" a word which has Nordic origins. A good example is served at Maggie Mays restaurant in Bold Street (note that it closes for the day late afternoon) and is served with crusty bread, pickled red cabbage and/or beetroot. It does look rather gloopy, but that is the traditional way to serve it. Alternatively, it can be found in tourist shops in strong plastic pouches and just needs warming up at home.

Although the review from Liverpool Echo was good, I felt the reviewer rushed it as it was posted very shortly after the show. However a few more reviews are appearing. Really like the detailed one from Northwestend. They also reviewed the Manchester run, but it is obvious they have taken the trouble to revisit the show here.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EXCERPT:

(Adam) Abbou held the audience in the palm of his hand. His accent was perfect and what a voice. But his dancing was something else, so much passion and energy. There was fire in his belly and he meant business.

http://northwestend.co.uk/index.php/pro ... -liverpool
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A few more good reviews:

http://www.downsouthliverpool.co.uk/rev ... ol-empire/
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EXCERPT:

There’s a scene-stealing turn from the young Bradley Mayfield as Billy’s adventurous friend Michael, unafraid to follow his own singular path.
The young duo’s taps and tinsel, Velma Kelly and Roxie Hart-inspired duet is on  of the show’s many stand-out scenes.

https://www.artscityliverpool.com/singl ... ol-Empire-
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

https://minitravellers.co.uk/billy-elli ... al-review/

Return to “Reviews - Billy Elliot UK/Ireland Tour”