Chat About Media Theatre, Nov. 18, 2015-Jan. 10, 2016

accessmenj
Mr Braithwaite

Re: Chat About Media Theatre, Nov. 18, 2015-Jan. 3, 2016

Post by accessmenj »

Once again, great weekend performances by both Billys. Every student of theater or dance in the Philadelphia area should see this nearby show.
atreyu
George

Post by atreyu »

ALLMIXEDUP
Small Boy

Post by ALLMIXEDUP »

Both Billys are fantastic. I can't pick a favorite. I'm just glad that they are extending the run until January 10th due to rave reviews and ticket sales. This will give me a chance to see both boys perform one more time.
accessmenj
Mr Braithwaite

Post by accessmenj »

Looks like a sold out show for this afternoon. I enjoy it more with a full house.
atreyu
George

Re: Chat About Media Theatre, Nov. 18, 2015-Jan. 10, 2016

Post by atreyu »

This was a recent post on Facebook by the Pennsylvania Ballet:
A Facebook user recently commented that the Eagles had "played like they were wearing tutus!!!"

Our response:

"With all due respect to the Eagles, let's take a minute to look at what our tutu wearing women have done this month:

By tomorrow afternoon, the ballerinas that wear tutus at Pennsylvania Ballet will have performed The Nutcracker 27 times in 21 days. Some of those women have performed the Snow scene and the Waltz of the Flowers without an understudy or second cast. No 'second string' to come in and spell them when they needed a break. When they have been sick they have come to the theater, put on make up and costume, smiled and performed. When they have felt an injury in the middle of a show there have been no injury timeouts. They have kept smiling, finished their job, bowed, left the stage, and then dealt with what hurts. Some of these tutu wearers have been tossed into a new position with only a moments notice. That's like a cornerback being told at halftime that they're going to play wide receiver for the second half, but they need to make sure that no one can tell they've never played wide receiver before. They have done all of this with such artistry and grace that audience after audience has clapped and cheered (no Boo Birds at the Academy) and the Philadelphia Inquirer has said this production looks "better than ever".

So no, the Eagles have not played like they were wearing tutus. If they had, Chip Kelly would still be a head coach and we'd all be looking forward to the playoffs."

Happy New Year!
I submit the same comparison and analysis could have been made between the Eagles and the Media Theatre Company these last couple months!
accessmenj
Mr Braithwaite

Post by accessmenj »

According to the box office, tonight, January 6th, will be Brandon's last performance as Billy at The Media Theatre.
accessmenj
Mr Braithwaite

Post by accessmenj »

Leaving for the Media Theatre now. I just confirmed that this is the local boy's final show as Billy. I hope Brandon has a chance to perform elsewhere this summer as Billy. Being 13 years old goes so quick.
accessmenj
Mr Braithwaite

Post by accessmenj »

What a great night at The Media Theatre for Brandon's final appearance. I first saw this production in November, and now it was extended an extra week in January. Everybody presented a stronger performance now, and the extra shows added a professionalism to an already great run. Thanks to great reviews and mostly full houses, the long run is a complete success.

There are five more shows left with Gunar as Billy. I don't think that there is an easier place to enjoy Billy Elliot the Musical. We parked in front of the theatre. We ate at the brewery-restaurant located a few hundred feet from the theatre. The tickets are a bargain compared to other venues. If at all possible, catch one the remaining shows. Again, a great night!
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

The Media Theatre is hosting a summer dance camp for kids, featuring choreography from Billy Elliot:
The "Billy Elliot Camp" will take place July 18 to July 29. For ages 8 and up, this camp will feature choreography based in the popular musical done by the Ballet Girls and the title role.

http://mediatheatrenews.blogspot.com/20 ... media.html

Return to “US Regional Productions Archive”