Chat About North Shore Music Theatre Sep. 29-Oct. 11, 2015

porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Chat About North Shore Music Theatre Sep. 29-Oct. 11, 2015

Post by porschesrule »

I am also thrilled to hear Nicholas Dantes will be reprising the role of Billy in the production, as everything I've read about him was glowing from his Chicago debut in the role. It should be noted that the other Billy is also a veteran of BETM, Brooks Landegger, having played the role in the US Regional production of the show in Oklahoma City. Congratulations to him as well.

The core of this production contains a group of very experienced BETM actors. It promises to be a great regional production of the show.
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
Lola
Tall Boy

Post by Lola »

Janet Dickinson as Mrs Wilkinson, Alec Shiman as Michael, Max Baud as Older Billy and two Billys with experience in the role - sounds like a good production judging from the casting alone!
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

....and Adam Pelty as Director/Choreograper. Adam was a large part of the reason why the Ogunquit production was so unique - and successful. Add to that the fact that he was responsible for the Raleigh production, too.....

North Shore Music Theatre will be (to the best of my knowledge) the first time BETM will be seen in a theatre in the round. According to its website, no seat is more than 50 feet from the stage. 1500+ seats.
CJ-Rochester
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by CJ-Rochester »

This press release says Nicholas will be the lead Billy, with Brooks playing the role at certain performances (as opposed to splitting the shows evenly):

http://www.nsmt.org/index.php?option=co ... ew&id=1175
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

CJ-Rochester wrote:This press release says Nicholas will be the lead Billy, with Brooks playing the role at certain performances (as opposed to splitting the shows evenly):

http://www.nsmt.org/index.php?option=co ... ew&id=1175
That was the arrangement at Patchogue, as well: Mitch did most shows and Brandon Ranalli did the rest.

Those coming may be interested in this:
Meet the Theatre: post-show audience discussion with the artists on October 6 after the 7:30 pm performance and October 10 after the 2 pm performance; OUT at the North Shore, an evening for the Gay and Lesbian Community with a post-show reception (sponsored in part by Ryan & Wood Inc.) on October 8 after the 7:30 pm performance.
Here is an article from broadwayworld:

http://www.broadwayworld.com/boston/art ... 1-20150903
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

According to the cast list

http://www.nsmt.org/index.php?option=co ... ew&id=1177

no mention is made of who will play Tall Boy/Posh Boy.

I wonder if the same arrangement will be made, as in Ogunquit: that the Billy not playing that performance will undertake the roles of Tall and Posh Boy?

(Ogunquit had a local NH boy fill in when Noah was away for a week - Tyler Brown.)
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

kport wrote:According to the cast list

http://www.nsmt.org/index.php?option=co ... ew&id=1177

no mention is made of who will play Tall Boy/Posh Boy.

I wonder if the same arrangement will be made, as in Ogunquit: that the Billy not playing that performance will undertake the roles of Tall and Posh Boy?
If I were a betting man, I'd place a lot of money on that being the case. Director Adam Pelty has been known to use that approach in other places where he's directed the show.
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

I took a trip down to the theatre today. It has been many years since I have been there, back when it was a struggling 501(c) charity. Under its new manager, Bill Hanney, the theatre has gone from strength to strength.

The first impression is that is is a unique, 1960s sort of hexagonal-shaped structure (like many modern churches of that era), fairly squat, partly shingled in wooden shakes on the outside, so that it looks as though it could have been the Massachusetts pavilion at the 1964 World's Fair (now, there I have dated myself!). It is not unduly tall, and the central peak must double as a sort of fly. I had a chance to have a long conversation with a representative, and we discussed the various merits of where to sit etc. No seat is more than 50 feet from the stage; the back tier is higher, and apparently the orchestra pit will be covered. There is a lift in the center. (Yes, the theatre can accommodate flying by wire.) The alley marked VOMI on the seating plan is the 'vomitorium'*, the alley down which cast enter and leave. I asked if one side of the hexagon has better viewing than the other, the response I got is that the producers know how to present the play 'in the round' to every seat in the house. That could make for some exciting and novel choreography from Mr. Pelty!

The parking is free, outside, and the theatre is a minute off Rte 128; though coming from the north, I took a prettier journey down Rte 1a from Newburyport through some stunning countryside, which meets 128 a half mile or so from the theatre. (There is a first class polo ground at the Myopia Hunt.)

The ticket prices for the first two shows are slightly reduced, as they are preview shows.

The stage door is around th.....side? back? How do I describe a hexagon, with no apparent side as the main entrance? Put it this way: it is near the wall end of the vomitorium, if you consult a seating plan.

As far as I could see, there were no signs of any BETM activity. The theatre has other events to put on first.

-----------------

*vom·i·to·ri·um

each of a series of entrance or exit passages in an ancient Roman amphitheater or theater.
CJ-Rochester
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by CJ-Rochester »

NSMT posted this photo album to their Facebook page, showing the head shots and bios of all 32 cast members.
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 868&type=3

Return to “US Regional Productions Archive”