Chat About Media Theatre, Nov. 18, 2015-Jan. 10, 2016

kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Chat About Media Theatre, Nov. 18, 2015-Jan. 10, 2016

Post by kport »

Media Theatre, Media, PA, has secured from Music Theatre International (MTI) the rights to perform BETM over the period of 11/18/2015 to 01/10/2016. Media is twelve miles west of Philadelphia. The theatre seats around 600, on one floor, with two aisles. It appears to have both AEA and non-AEA actors.

http://www.mtishows.com/show_detail.asp?showid=000437 (click 'Upcoming')

http://www.mediatheatre.org/SiteResourc ... Y%20SERIES
CJ-Rochester
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Re: Media Theatre, Media, PA

Post by CJ-Rochester »

I'm sure I wasn't the only one who had to look up where Media, PA is. (It's outside Philly.)
Finally another production within driving distance for us northeast folks. :P
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

Aside from March, then, BETM will be shown somewhere in the US every month of 2015. It is not a tour, per se; but it is, perhaps, worthy of note, as this great musical finds its feet as a regional production. ;)
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

kport wrote:Aside from March, then, BETM will be shown somewhere in the US every month of 2015.
Actually (again, excepting March) every month for the next year --- including February of 2016, if you expand it to somewhere in North America. :)
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

I assume that Billy will not fly in this production. Remember when the tour was in PA? The state has a law that will not allow the flying.
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
StevenKing
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by StevenKing »

Seriously...where are they going to find the Billy's for the shows now? Only new Billy in 2 years s has been Sam and he's almost unique.
ALLMIXEDUP
Small Boy

Post by ALLMIXEDUP »

This will be a reduced version of the professional production, with no flying and simplified choreography. Since its major goal is to inspire young people in the arts, it can carry the message of Billy Elliot The Musical to local communities. I look for many more similar productions.
accessmenj
Mr Braithwaite

Post by accessmenj »

I look forward to this youth orientated production of Billy Elliot The Musical. It will not take a superstar to play Billy, and will not involve having to rehearse full time, leave school for private tutoring and parents having to move. The production will inspire, however. The Media Theatre always does.
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

StevenKing wrote:Seriously...where are they going to find the Billy's for the shows now? Only new Billy in 2 years s has been Sam and he's almost unique.
You are correct, and your point has been made before in the Forum: the pool of ex-Tour Billys is soon to evaporate as they move on to new challenges.

So, new Billys will need to be found and trained. I see three opportunities: a 'reduced' version (which MTI says is being created) will mean that local talent can be found for shorter, less demanding regional shows. Then there are the longer-run shows coming up: Drury Lane is eight weeks or so (this may be the first venue to depart from using ex-Tour/London Billys); then Gateway and North Shore Music Theatre are two plus weeks - these could produce a new 'crop' of Billys and Michaels who, thereafter, could have quite a nice little gig playing shorter length regionals over the next year or so - if they want to. The Royal Manitoba Theatre in Winnipeg is creating a sort of 'Billy School', which could inspire a whole new generation of talent. Meanwhile, I can think of one former 10 year old Small Boy who could be trained up for 2016's regionals - and who would be absolutely brilliant!

The solution will present itself.
StevenKing
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by StevenKing »

kport wrote:
StevenKing wrote:Seriously...where are they going to find the Billy's for the shows now? Only new Billy in 2 years s has been Sam and he's almost unique.
You are correct, and your point has been made before in the Forum: the pool of ex-Tour Billys is soon to evaporate as they move on to new challenges.

So, new Billys will need to be found and trained. I see three opportunities: a 'reduced' version (which MTI says is being created) will mean that local talent can be found for shorter, less demanding regional shows. Then there are the longer-run shows coming up: Drury Lane is eight weeks or so (this may be the first venue to depart from using ex-Tour/London Billys); then Gateway and North Shore Music Theatre are two plus weeks - these could produce a new 'crop' of Billys and Michaels who, thereafter, could have quite a nice little gig playing shorter length regionals over the next year or so - if they want to. The Royal Manitoba Theatre in Winnipeg is creating a sort of 'Billy School', which could inspire a whole new generation of talent. Meanwhile, I can think of one former 10 year old Small Boy who could be trained up for 2016's regionals - and who would be absolutely brilliant!

The solution will present itself.
The full on show obviously doesn't lend itself to the usual regional method of picking a local lead so I think we will be seeing the trimmed down show by nessesity unless there's more Sams out there or the regionals are able to look way harder for a billy...and honestly not compete with each other over those billys.

Return to “US Regional Productions Archive”