Re: Chat About Media Theatre, Nov. 18, 2015-Jan. 3, 2016

Post by kport »

According to Backstage.com, rehearsals for BETM at Media begin today:

http://www.backstage.com/casting/gypsy- ... iot-73668/
accessmenj
Mr Braithwaite

Post by accessmenj »

This production will be the closest yet to the Broadway production. The Billys will be the appropriate age, not high school kids. At least one of the Billys will have trained for the role for as many months as the original Broadway Billies. Many of the actors are Equity players.

The venue is in a great town, with many good restaurants, and nearby Malls for holiday shopping. Nearby is Philadelphia International Airport. Rail and car access is very good. The theatre has an intimate feel that is perfect for Billy Elliot The Musical. And the Media theatre has a reputation for putting on excellent productions.

Bottom line is that since there is no Broadway Billy for this upcoming holiday season, we need to support this long production that runs the entire holiday season. If there is any possibility of a return to Broadway in the future, local productions such as this must be successful. Every Billy fan in the Northeast should try their best to attend the Media Theatre Production.
angelenroute
Billy

Post by angelenroute »

accessmenj wrote:This production will be the closest yet to the Broadway production. ... Bottom line is that since there is no Broadway Billy for this upcoming holiday season, we need to support this long production that runs the entire holiday season. If there is any possibility of a return to Broadway in the future, local productions such as this must be successful. Every Billy fan in the Northeast should try their best to attend the Media Theatre Production.
While I appreciate your enthusiasm and triumph your marketing, I can't forget that Dream Ballet has no flying for all shows in Pennsylvania. When I saw the show in Philadelphia, they handled this well, but there was still a jarring disparity in the music as it got cut and pasted together. I certainly hope they know to make the number extra special for those who are let down to not have the flying in place (which even BETM first-timers may know enough to expect).

Sean

"Good writers define reality; bad ones merely restate it." -Edward Albee
accessmenj
Mr Braithwaite

Post by accessmenj »

True! The two Billies are the strong point; the lack of flying is the disappointment.
angelenroute
Billy

Post by angelenroute »

accessmenj wrote:True! The two Billies are the strong point; the lack of flying is the disappointment.
Yep, the Billy boys will always be the strong point. :D Not that we take them for granted, but we should always remember that once audience members see what the star can do (any of them), they're always wowed!

"Good writers define reality; bad ones merely restate it." -Edward Albee
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

Better late than never: BroadwayWorld has just posted a casting article:

http://www.broadwayworld.com/philadelph ... d-20151102#
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

Another casting article has appeared on delcotimes.com:

http://www.delcotimes.com/article/DC/20 ... /151109903
ALLMIXEDUP
Small Boy

Post by ALLMIXEDUP »

When you visit The Media Theatre for the holiday production of Billy Elliot The Musical, be sure to drive a short distance down US 1 to the Christmas Show at Longwood Gardens. Spectacular! It is so popular that you need reservations.

http://longwoodgardens.org/events-and-p ... -christmas
ALLMIXEDUP
Small Boy

Post by ALLMIXEDUP »

I love small, intimate theaters. Just got my tickets for Billy Elliot the Musical at the Media theater. I think that I am going to see it several times before it closes in January.
tzwicky
George

Several Times?????

Post by tzwicky »

Several Times?

"People will think you're a nutter."

tzwicky
(pathological nutter for more than 10 years….)

Return to “US Regional Productions Archive”