Chat AboutArts Club Theatre Co, Vancouver, 5/12 - 7/10, 2016

LiamM
Technical Advisor
Technical Advisor

Re: Chat AboutArts Club Theatre Co, Vancouver, 5/12 - 7/10, 2016

Post by LiamM »

Why Gotham City instead of New York? Why a generic "Springfield" instead of a real town? Why Shawshank Prison instead of a real one, perhaps the actual closed prison where the movie was filmed? It's one of those creative decisions which could go either way, Do we set it in a real place or a fictional place?

It appears Lee Hall changed his mind between the movie and the musical. Other decisions flowed from this change: They probably could have filmed the boxing and ballet scenes in the real Easington Miner's Hall, but choose to use a very different-looking sports club. But then in the musical, the miners' hall set looks just like the real Easington Miners' Hall.

We'll have to see what the Arts Club set looks like.
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

Five Reasons to see Billy Elliot at the Arts Club::

http://vancouversun.com/entertainment/t ... -arts-club
Eltonjohn
Miner

Post by Eltonjohn »

LiamM wrote:Why Gotham City instead of New York? Why a generic "Springfield" instead of a real town? Why Shawshank Prison instead of a real one, perhaps the actual closed prison where the movie was filmed? It's one of those creative decisions which could go either way, Do we set it in a real place or a fictional place?

It appears Lee Hall changed his mind between the movie and the musical. Other decisions flowed from this change: They probably could have filmed the boxing and ballet scenes in the real Easington Miner's Hall, but choose to use a very different-looking sports club. But then in the musical, the miners' hall set looks just like the real Easington Miners' Hall.

We'll have to see what the Arts Club set looks like.
Easington it is!

Terrific performance (only the third one so far).

Can someone please clarify for me: are Tall Boy and Posh Boy two different roles? Posh Boy is at the RBS audition. What does Tall Boy do?
BETM: "the most expensive school play ever."
Lee Hall
in Playbill October 2008
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

Tall Boy is village kid named Kevin. He is the Scab's son who gets yanked out of the miners' hall by his dad in the opening scene. Posh Boy's name is Thomas. He is from London, and his dad is a "posh " man (educated, professional, etc.). He is the kid who gets punched when he tries to comfort Billy after the audition.

The two different roles are played by the same actor, just as the Scab and the Posh Dad are also played by the same person.
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

Thomas' surname is Fish. We know this, because the Clipboard Lady addresses Posh Dad as Mr Fish.
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

In what version of the show does that happen?

I don't recall ever having heard the clipboard lady address Posh Dad, but admittedly, the only regional production I have seen is the Raleigh one.
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

I cannot specifically recall Raleigh, but every one I have attended since the tour closed (Ogunquit, North Shore, Maltz, Company), have clearly said 'Fish'. It is very brief, like 'This way, Mr Fish' as both walk out.

(I do remember one story about Raleigh: I was seated near the stage. When Small Boy walked down to climb the stairs, an Usher, unaware of the story, rushed out to 'rescue' him. I had to quietly mention that he was part of the musical, and not a lost child!)
CJ-Rochester
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by CJ-Rochester »

kport wrote:I cannot specifically recall Raleigh, but every one I have attended since the tour closed (Ogunquit, North Shore, Maltz, Company), have clearly said 'Fish'. It is very brief, like 'This way, Mr Fish' as both walk out.
I believe it's after dad's line "It's war first audition", Clipboard lady comes out and says "Mr. Fish, we're ready for you."
LiamM
Technical Advisor
Technical Advisor

Post by LiamM »

I always thought it was Mr. Fitch.
ERinVA wrote:The two different roles are played by the same actor, just as the Scab and the Posh Dad are also played by the same person.
So, Scab and Post Dad are played by the same actor. Both of their sons, Tall Boy and Posh Boy, are played by the same actor. Maybe the real story is about a scab whose son is taking ballet lessons (at a different ballet studio from Billy) and he also goes to London for an audition. Not wanting to create a scene with Dad, he adopts a posh accent. Meanwhile, Posh Boy, seeing a familiar face in Billy, goes to comfort him after the audition. :)
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

LiamM wrote:I always thought it was Mr. Fitch.
ERinVA wrote:The two different roles are played by the same actor, just as the Scab and the Posh Dad are also played by the same person.
So, Scab and Post Dad are played by the same actor. Both of their sons, Tall Boy and Posh Boy, are played by the same actor. Maybe the real story is about a scab whose son is taking ballet lessons (at a different ballet studio from Billy) and he also goes to London for an audition. Not wanting to create a scene with Dad, he adopts a posh accent. Meanwhile, Posh Boy, seeing a familiar face in Billy, goes to comfort him after the audition. :)
Perhaps. I found a refreshing change at The Maltz, where (in the opening scenes) Tall Boy stayed with Michael when he asked why everyone was angry about Maggie Thatcher. It was nice to see, for a moment, that Billy and Michael had another mate in the community.

Return to “US Regional Productions Archive”