Re: September 2010 Reviews - New York

Post by BillyAddict »

Friday 10th September
Billy - Dayton
Michael - Neil

Sunday 12th September - Evening
Billy - Dayton
Michael - Neil

With so much experience as Billy, Dayton presents a performance of total perfection each time he steps on the stage. Prior to the Sunday performance Dayton had performed as Michael in Broadway on Broadway to Alex's Billy. His energy levels were as high as ever. As I mentioned in earlier reviews Dayton has perfect timing and beautiful voice and body inflection. When he is performing you are seeing BETM at it's very best. Dayton had a slight slip in Angry Dance whilst up in the bedroom but quickly recovered. Dayton is very quick! When I mentioned this he told me at stage door it was new choreography :)

On Sunday Merle Louise was Grandma. What a pleasure to see this Broadway legend give her interpretation of the role. Very different to Carol's but equally as good.

Saturday 11th September - Matinee
Billy - Jacob
Michael - Gabe

Jacob was on holidays the first week I was here so had to wait till the second week to catch him. What a thrill his Billy gives me. A great depth of acting talent enthralled me throughout his performance. I know I would be coming back and back to see this wonderful Billy if i lived in New York. His Billy is a real treat, emotional and uplifting!

In Expressing Yourself Gabe took a tumble getting caught up in the dresses and a little later Jacob slipped on stage. Unusual for two spills in the one number!

Johnnyc mentioned in his review of michael's show how he likes Gabe's Michael and i do too. Like John there is one glaring fault and i don't know why the resident director has not corrected this already it is so obvious. He rushes the 'nutcracker' line so much it has little impact. It was so rushed in this show that there was not one laugh in the whole theatre !!!!

A couple of shows back Tall Boy lost his shoe getting up the steps for the boxing class scene, today it was small boy Seth who lost a shoe!!!

Saturday 11th September - Evening
Billy - Alex
Michael - Neil

A very professional show from all concerned. Neil has superb timing and Alex is a beautiful and skilled dancer. It is in his dance that Alex's talent really sines through.

So with Dayton's Sunday night show I ended my longest ever Billython (17 shows). Saw Michael three times including his last Broadway show. Liam once (his last show). Dayton four times. Alex three, Jacob twice and Peter four times plus I saw BETM perform at Broadway on Broadway!

Such a long stay has enabled me to see a lot of the sights of New York as well as indulging my addiction to the show. Had some wonderful catch ups with fans, cast and parents. Thank you all for making my visit so enjoyable.

A special thank you to my New York host who I met through the forums and who has so graciously allowed me the use of his New York apartment these last two and a half weeks!
167 Performances!

Lochie x 21.5; Nick x 11; Corey x 1; Rhys x 19; Rarmian x 17.75; Dayton x 24.75; Josh W-G x 18; Michael x 19; Josh D x 12; Daniel x 3; Tom x 1; Ollie G x 1; Fox x 1, Liam R x 2, Alex x 5, Cesar x 2, Tommy x 1, John Peter x 1, Peter x 4, Jacob x 2.
Scott x 30; Thomas x 28.25; Joel x 31; Landen x 33.75; Liam x 14; Jake x 1; Connor x 1; George x 1, Trevor x 4, Jake Evan x 3, Gabriel x 8, Keean x 2, Neil x 11.
Fiona x 18; Rosie x 25; Shannon x 23; Kelsi x 23; Prudence x 2; Lauren x 10; Cassandra x 15; Nina x 9; Isabelle x 12; Fleur x 2; Francesca x 1, Issy x 7, Maria x 4, Georgi x 17.
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

BillyAddict,

Thank you for highlighting your very extensive "Billython". You sure got to see it all -- the complete cast of BETM- Broadway-- and all the sights there are to see in NYC itself. Quite a trip!

Godspeed on your way home to Australia and a very safe journey.
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

Thanks for your wonderful review of Mikey's last Broadway performance. It made me feel a part of it.

And thank you, too, BillyAddict, for taking us along with you on your NY Billython. Excellent!
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
BillyAddict
Tall Boy

Post by BillyAddict »

My pleasure :)
167 Performances!

Lochie x 21.5; Nick x 11; Corey x 1; Rhys x 19; Rarmian x 17.75; Dayton x 24.75; Josh W-G x 18; Michael x 19; Josh D x 12; Daniel x 3; Tom x 1; Ollie G x 1; Fox x 1, Liam R x 2, Alex x 5, Cesar x 2, Tommy x 1, John Peter x 1, Peter x 4, Jacob x 2.
Scott x 30; Thomas x 28.25; Joel x 31; Landen x 33.75; Liam x 14; Jake x 1; Connor x 1; George x 1, Trevor x 4, Jake Evan x 3, Gabriel x 8, Keean x 2, Neil x 11.
Fiona x 18; Rosie x 25; Shannon x 23; Kelsi x 23; Prudence x 2; Lauren x 10; Cassandra x 15; Nina x 9; Isabelle x 12; Fleur x 2; Francesca x 1, Issy x 7, Maria x 4, Georgi x 17.
cincinnati
Tall Boy

Post by cincinnati »

Sunday September 19
Evening show
Billy - Peter
Michael - Gabe
Tall Boy - Ben

I haven't wrote one of my "War and Peace" reviews in quite some time, one, I don't want to bore everyone because I a much long winded, two, I find myself being more of a critic of this and that and being pretty demanding when it comes to who is playing which part and how I judge what is good and bad.
Well, I just thought to myself the wonder of this production is that it's quite like a cat with nine lives, with different cast members playing the parts of Billy and Michael, no two shows are alike. This gives me the excuse when I look at my credit card statements and see that I could have bought a new Buick on what I have spent on BETM over the past 16 months.
With that refreshing thought in my mind I walked down to the Imperial ready to see the brand new addition to the "Musical of the Decade", Peter.
Gabe was playing the part of Michael, Gabe, whom I have seen many times in Chicago and once before in NYC has a flair about him that is so different from the others and is refreshing to watch as well.
This crowd was hyped up for sure before the show started, the man behind me was saying about having seen this show and that...and how this was his final performance before returning home to the Midwest.
Stars Look Down - The old Billy the thermometer to me when I see a new one is how they say that first line...."F***** if I know"...each Billy has his own style of this .... angry, softly, quickly etc. etc.....well Peter gave us a resigning version of this and I settled in for the night to see Peter spin his version literally on stage. I had been told in advance from a Billy I know on a first hand basis that Peter's voice is very clear, they were right......very clear and solid.
Boxing Scene – Gabe has that hair of his going north south east and west…..Peter and Gabe played this scene very well….showing much disdain for wanting to pound one another……Peter used a sideways hip motion that I have not seen before from any other Billy’s right before he got popped by “Sugar Ray” Gabe…..speaking of which…I always thought that Keean Johnson took a real good shot when punching Joel Hatch below the belt…but Gabe looked like he really got him.
MAMA’s song….thought I would call it something different…anyway….Peter made it work by laughing at Carole’s work…..
Solidarity – My favorite Broadway number of all time, Peter attacked this number like the Marines hitting the beach at Iwo Jima….by the time when he spins from stage right to left…….he was worked up into quite a tizzy….This part of the show always get the crowd with the oohhss and awwwsss ….and Peter did his part to insure this……well the end brought even more of the same as he attacked the ending like the world was coming to an end.
Express - I must say the first time I saw Gabe I wasn’t that impressed, this however is my own fault, as I am such a huge fan of Keean Johnson’s work in this role. But for tonight I was very impressed with Gabe. His take on this part is SO much different than the others….. his flair, his pazzzzaaazzz I guess…. He moves around like he is floating on air….it’s like look at me….pay attention to me….and this is good not bad….Gabe is full of confidence and it shows. This kid has some long arms and is all legs too….and yes when he gets to tapping…well Gabe can really go at it…..wow……Peter let Gabe have the stage and turned in a solid job. The end, you could see Gabe turn it on…the way he prances to the end of the stage…much different than others….he turns his back and blows the lights out…..my gosh the crowd went wild….Gabe now has a new fan in me….
Letter – I thought Jacob was the human water pump….well….okay….I think that Peter had to drink some Evian after this scene….gosh….this boy Peter, is a TEAR machine…..he had a tough time stopping to finish the scene. WOW.
B2B – Okay here is what I think about this number……..THOMMIE RETTER IS BRILLIANT ……..describes the whole number……I might add the tempo in this number was to fast during this performance……got me conductor….slow down.
Angry Dance – Peter being slight in statue….got all of his body going and blitzed this Angry Dance….I thought only Michael Dameski , “The Macedonian Missile” could scream …well Peter sure woke up the dead with his ……great job Peter.
Merry Xmas – I have always enjoyed for some reason the different facial expressions from the Tall Boy and Michael when they awake from sleeping with the beds that say RIP MT…..Keean Johnson is SO funny with his…but Gabe….and that look….it’s hard to describe…it’s like he stuck his finger in a light socket.
The Nurse and No one will notice – Dillon Stevens in Chicago has me laughing like I was watching Barney and Gomer and the Mayberry gang… but Gabe came to equal that on this night. Gabe has a ton of stage time with other shows…and it’s obvious. Gabe’s timing is awesome……when it comes time to show his A**** …. You can tell what is about to happen…he walks with a different gate…..Calmly spreading his legs with his backside to the crowd and bends over ….the crowd roared with laughter….one of the biggest laughs of the night. GREAT JOB by Gabe.
Swan Lake – To me this number belongs to the “Living Legend” himself….The “Great “ Kiril Kulish ….I have seen a few others nudge around his greatness but never reach it. Peter was very precise and workmanlike with his performance of this number. One thing about this number, I would say that 98% of the crowd are first timers so it’s hard not to get a WOW from the crowd and Peter sure did…..While spinning and flying you could sense the awe in the crowd. They gave Peter a huge ovation at the end.
Electricity – So much has been written about this and that with Electricity and how each Billy performs it. When I first started to watch this show, I was using this number as the yard stick to judge the Billy. I can make an argument that the two best Billy’s in my book didn’t do this number as well as others. With that in mind…I watched this brand new Billy attack Electricity. What a great job, Peter got a long ovation, in fact I was so proud of this crowd for showing its appreciation for his work. I have seen crowds not give the respect to these Billy’s before….this one did. In fact after the show Peter was telling me how much he appreciated the crowd showing it.
Finale – I love the ending, Peter was focused on his work all the way to the end. His smile was big at the end. I predict in a few months he will be a bit more loose and that winning smile of his will be more frequent.
I went away from the show with a profound respect for Peter and Gabe. It was refreshing to re – focus my views on the show and look at it with an open mind. That in its self is the magic of this production, no two shows are alike, no two Billy’s are alike and no two Michael’s are alike. Peter is a solid pro, a brilliant edition to an amazing show. I am blessed and honored to be able to sit in the Oriental in Chicago and the Imperial in NYC and watch these talented people in this amazing show. I can’t wait to see it again soon.
Also, by the way that man behind went out of the show saying that BETM was the best by far that he has seen....."FINISH"
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

Bravo, Cinncinati!! A well done review and some great observations of the performances of Peter and Gabe. I know you've seen the show many times in Chicago and New York, so your comparisons with some of the previous Billys and Michaels was very interesting to me.

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts.
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

I agree porchesrule.

A well thought out review cincinnati.
Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.
angelenroute
Billy

Re: August 2010 Reviews - NYC

Post by angelenroute »

KiwiT wrote:I like the way the broadway Billys say “rip off” when handing over the 50p to Mrs Wilkinson – not something I have noticed before.
I laugh whenever I hear this although I don't think I always hear it. Not sure if they all say it or just some, or if some say it louder than others...either way it's a perfect line and works great!

Sean

"Good writers define reality; bad ones merely restate it." -Edward Albee
angelenroute
Billy

Post by angelenroute »

CJ-Rochester wrote: Prior to the show we gathered at John's Pizzeria, just around the corner from the Imperial. Thanks to AngelEnRoute for setting this up and suggesting the location (rumored to be one of Trent's favorite places). Our group of eight included forum members from Australia, New Zealand, and the USA, plus Michael's parents. It was such a pleasure to meet people from so far away, to compare similarities and differences in our cultures, and to share our common appreciation of BETM.

I didn't really do much organizing, honestly thought others were planning it and I was just encouraged to invite more peeps haha. Nevertheless, it was a great dinner and chance to meet the Aussie and NZ fans as well as Michael D.'s mom and dad. Have to add again how cool they were, so fun, funny and friendly. Was a great dinner and I'm so glad I came in to hang out with all of you.

When Dad takes the lid off the frying pan to let the smoke out, he then puts the lid back on that pan and grabs the pan right next to it, which is the one that has the burnt egg. It is like a magician's trick, in that you are fooled by the juggling of pans the first time but eventually catch on.

Wow, cool. They really are so clever! =)

Angry Dance -
I've run out of ways to describe this

Uh-oh! ;) Somehow I think you'll come up with a few more. :D

--Sean

"Good writers define reality; bad ones merely restate it." -Edward Albee

Return to “Reviews - Broadway”