Site Admin
Site Admin

September 2010 Reviews - NYC

Post by ERinVA »

A new thread for September reviews.
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
CJ-Rochester
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Re: September 2010 Reviews - New York

Post by CJ-Rochester »

The afternoon began with meeting BillyAddict for a nice lunch at Junior's. Then it was off to the Imperial for the first of a 3 show Billy-thon.

Wed. Sept. 1 - 2 pm

Billy - Alex,
Michael - Neil,
Small Boy - Seth,

+ understudys: Older Billy/Scottish Dancer - Michaeljon Slinger, Scab/Posh Dad - David Koch, Lesley - Cara Kjellman.

This was my second time seeing Alex as Billy. Welcome back to Will after being away for a few months. Since I last saw the show 10 weeks ago there are some new faces: tall boy (Ben), Big Davey (Brad), Debbie (Georgi), plus several new miners.

Boxing -
Michael's shorts are now a true burgundy color instead of the bright red. This is another change that was first made in Chicago, and then moved back to Broadway, to make the line in the tutu scene work better.

Joel gives a really solid performance in this scene, as always.

When Alex is picking up the keys, after using his gloved hands doesn't work he stops and thinks for a second before using his feet to kick them up.

Solidarity -
In the encounter between Billy and Debbie on the street before class, after Billy says "me mom's dead", Georgi looks thoughtful before saying "see ya then", as if she realizes this is a sensitive issue for Billy.

At the fairies on music boxes part, Kate looks especially amazed and proud of what Billy is doing.

I love the exchanges of hats between the miners and police. I don't think this has been mentioned much (if ever), but it's a very clever piece of choreograpy. The number ended with a fine finish by Alex.

Express -
Neil is very funny. He has great comic timing. The looks and facial expressions just have to be seen. He is not a copy of any other Michael, but has made the role his own. Great job!

Letter -
There were plenty of tears in the audience all around me. Just a note that Stephanie who now plays Mum has a really sweet voice. This role is in good hands.

B2B -
Alex danced inside Kate's jump rope just fine. He finished with a nice set of pirouettes and very fast spins.

Georgi is very funny as Debbie in the 'hoo hoo' scene.

Dream Ballet -
The number was going beautifully, then there was a small mishap. Early in the flying part their hands let go. I believe Alex was passing behind Michaeljon. I think Michaeljon might have had to change hands and they slipped, not sure. Anyway I noticed Alex's hands reaching out to grab, and within a couple seconds the two Billys were reconnected. I doubt if anyone in the audience other than seasoned Billy fans would have noticed, but my heart sure lept. :)
A great job by Alex and Michaeljon!

Michaeljon as Scottish Dancer is not quite as muscular as Stephen Hanna, but still looks the part and is very funny in his scene with Greg.

Electricity -
This was fantastic! Alex has great ballet leaps. He did a no-hands forward flip. There was huge applause at the end, and Alex was allowed to show off a big smile.

-Chris
:/
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

Thanks for the review of yesterday's show, Chris. For whatever reason, we haven't seen a lot of reviews featuring Broadway's senior Billy lately. It's good to hear Alex is in A One form. Also good to hear about Neil's take on the role of Michael.
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

Thanks Chris for the great review. I hope you enjoy the rest of your shows as much as this one - as if you wouldn't
CJ-Rochester wrote: Boxing -
Michael's shorts are now a true burgundy color instead of the bright red. This is another change that was first made in Chicago, and then moved back to Broadway, to make the line in the tutu scene work better.
They've gone about this in completely the opposite direction in London. They've kept the red shorts and just changed the wording in the line to red :D
Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.
KiwiT
Small Boy

Re: August 2010 Reviews - NYC

Post by KiwiT »

Wed 1 Sep Matinee

Billy: Alex
Michael: Neil
Small Boy: Seth

I was pleased to get the chance to see Alex at last as he was injured on my last visit. Excellent dancing skills and a solid all round performance with a particularly strong Electricity. Sadly it did not get a standing ovation although I reckon it deserved one. The matinee crowd was appreciative with considerable applause but seemed reluctant to stand except at the very end.

I like the way the broadway Billys say “rip off” when handing over the 50p to Mrs Wilkinson – not something I have noticed before.

I am not a great fan of the skipping in B2B which I feel is a bit out of place and puts the Billys under unnecessary additional pressure – I much preferred the previous London version or better still the Oz version with the barre. However when it works it is very impressive indeed and today Alex really nailed it - crossing over the rope a couple of times at great speed. Well done Alex. Whilst on the subject of B2B I should also mention Thommie Retter who is a magnificent Mr B and really steals the show in this number.

Alex does not seem to do a Billy jump or flip off the piano but instead does some rapid spins (I am sure there will be a technical name for them but I am no balletomane!) to end the number.

Amazingly there is only one Debbie in New York (Georgi). Despite her small size, like small boy Seth, she has a huge stage presence and is thoroughly entertaining. The New York ballet girls are great too, with a huge variety of reactions, grins, smiles and movements, particularly in Shine.
61 Brilliant Billys, 44 Magnificent Michaels
KiwiT
Small Boy

Post by KiwiT »

Wed 1st Sept Evening

Billy: Peter
Michael: Gabriel
Small Boy: Alex

After his stunning debut on Sunday I was determined to get a ticket for Peter’s second show and by pure luck ended up with a seat in row AA which gave me an unsurpassed view.

Peter produced another stunning performance which confirmed my impressions from his debut. He is one terrific Billy and I am sure he will quickly become a favourite for many fans.

Contrary to the announcement at his debut, Peter confirmed that he was 13 not 15 which makes his performances even more remarkable.
He had a little trouble with the skipping in B2B but laughed it off cleverly proclaiming “Oh Cr*p!” Glad to see a Billy jump from Peter to end this – hopefully he will go on to do the flip one day!

Once again he had a very strong Angry Dance, Dream Ballet and Electricity. It is not surprising to learn that he has received many awards and scholarships for his dancing but for me it is his acting which has blown me away.

Another very emotional Letter and Letter reprise, thoroughly amusing reactions to Debbie’s proposal in the toilet scene, perfect timing as evidenced when handing over the 50p’s to Mrs Wilkinson and hilarious Expressing yourself with Gabriel were some of the other highlights.

Unfortunately this will be my last chance to see Peter on this trip but I think I have found a very good reason to visit New York again next year! :D :D :D
61 Brilliant Billys, 44 Magnificent Michaels
CJ-Rochester
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by CJ-Rochester »

Wed. Sept. 1 - 8 pm (show two of three)

There were several forum members in attendance tonight, so we will probably see multiple reviews. Here is my take on the evening.

Billy - Peter (his 2nd show),
Michael - Gabe,
Small Boy - Alex,

+ understudys: Older Billy/Scottish Dancer - Michaeljon Slinger, Scab/Posh Dad - David Koch, Lesley - Cara Kjellman.

Take Me Up -
Peter has a nice high pitched voice. Alex is such a tiny small boy, but Peter is a tiny Billy.

Breakfast -
In the pasty bit with Grandma, Peter's acting is intense and he projects well. He shows some of the same mannerisms I have seen with Michael D. in this scene.

Boxing -
Gabe hit Peter with both gloves together. This scene was especially funny tonight and the audience loved it. When Joel threw the glove as Gabe ran off to the toilet, it hit him square on the back. Good shot!

Shine -
Kate was in top form and great voice. I had fun noticing how much the ballet girls push and shove each other during the number. Peter gets knocked around by the girls quite a bit. He does a great job of being the confused and frustrated new dance student.

Solidarity -
Peter says the 'rip off' line as he pays his 50p quite loud and clear.

The number ended with an incredible finish that shows off Peter's ballet form. He has great poise and control of his body. Huge applause!

Express -
Gabe is very intense and deliberate with every word he speaks and sings. This is also what I noticed when I saw him in Chicago. He is an incredible tap dancer. There is a nice chemistry between Gabe and Peter. They make a great pair. Big applause at the end, which Gabe did a nice job of milking.

Letter -
I think Peter is second only to Jacob in tear production. This started early in the song. At the end when Kate said "she must have been a very special..." she sounded like she had been crying as well. There was applause at the end. It is not easy to applaud this number because of how the music works leading to the next scene. I have often felt the actors were cheated out of their applause here. Tonight they received it, which was well deserved.

B2B -
Thommie was hysterical tonight and had the audience laughing like crazy. Peter got mixed up a bit in Kate's jump rope, but finished with a nice Billy jump off the piano.

Angry Dance -
Wow!! Very intense, high energy and lots of tight spins.

Tutu Scene -
Gabe showed some very nice ballet-like moves during his "just a little bit" piece. His program bio doesn't mention what kind of dance background he has, but it looks like he must have some ballet training.

Dream Ballet -
Peter and Michaeljon are very well matched. This is one of those cases where we can easily believe it is older Billy.

Royal Ballet -
Greg seems to have added more to the bit with Dad and Scottish Dancer. Greg is much more obvious in noticing the dancer's bulge and playing it for laughs.

Electricity -
Peter did a great job, with amazing spins for such a small guy.

During the curtain call I noticed Tessa was giggling. Someone in the audience was holding up a sign that said Happy Birthday Tessa. :lol: Later I heard it was Tessa's mum.

It is hard to believe this was only Peter's second performance. He definitely knows what he is doing. There were a few times when his accent faded and he sounded more like an American boy, but I think this will improve with time.

Prior to the show I ran into Thommie and Will outside the stage door. I told them how exited I was to be seeing a new Billy. Thommie replied that he feels simply that "Peter IS Billy Elliot". No argument here. Peter has the looks, talent, and especially personality to become one of the great Billys.

At the stage door Peter was very sweet to meet in person and gladly signed playbills and posed for pictures. I had a chance to meet his dad and congratulate him. Peter's dad was pretty surprised that there are people who have seen the show so many times.

-Chris
:/
BillyAddict
Tall Boy

Post by BillyAddict »

Wednesday 1st September - Evening

Billy - Peter
Michael - Gabe
Small Boy - Alex

Such a strong first performance I went out and got a ticket for Peter's second show. Peter confirmed after the show he is 13 not 15 as announced at his debut.

Again it was Peter's acting that was for me the most impressive. Yes I could be very picky, there are small aspects that I am sure he will improve but for one with so little experience Peter is already winning over audiences. The people around me could not believe it was only his second performance.

A high energy angry dance though I notice they have Peter screaming somewhat less then the older Billy's. I suspect once Peter really settles into the role we will see him add other aspects to his dance routine in Electricity.

Gabe is such a powerhouse of energy as Michael. I enjoyed him so much on my visit to Chicago and continue to enjoy his take on Michael in NY. I do hope that in one of Michael Dameski's last two remaining NY shows they pair Gabe with Michael. That would be a very high energy combination!
167 Performances!

Lochie x 21.5; Nick x 11; Corey x 1; Rhys x 19; Rarmian x 17.75; Dayton x 24.75; Josh W-G x 18; Michael x 19; Josh D x 12; Daniel x 3; Tom x 1; Ollie G x 1; Fox x 1, Liam R x 2, Alex x 5, Cesar x 2, Tommy x 1, John Peter x 1, Peter x 4, Jacob x 2.
Scott x 30; Thomas x 28.25; Joel x 31; Landen x 33.75; Liam x 14; Jake x 1; Connor x 1; George x 1, Trevor x 4, Jake Evan x 3, Gabriel x 8, Keean x 2, Neil x 11.
Fiona x 18; Rosie x 25; Shannon x 23; Kelsi x 23; Prudence x 2; Lauren x 10; Cassandra x 15; Nina x 9; Isabelle x 12; Fleur x 2; Francesca x 1, Issy x 7, Maria x 4, Georgi x 17.
johnnyc
Mr Braithwaite

Re: August 2010 Reviews - NYC

Post by johnnyc »

KiwiT wrote:[
Amazingly there is only one Debbie in New York
Actually, only one Debbie is needed for the role. It isn't so demanding that one girl would have trouble performing it eight times each week. There is an alternate available in case the girl becomes ill or can't go on stage for some other reason.

There are multiple Debbies in London because U.K. work rules for child actors limit the number of hours they are permitted to work in a week.
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

The same is true for the ballet girls. They perform every show and do a fine job.
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.

Return to “Reviews - Broadway”