September 2010 Reviews - NYC

porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: September 2010 Reviews - New York

Post by porschesrule »

Thank you, Trevor, for the terrific summation of this week's shows and especially for your descriptive words of Michael's last Broadway performance. It sounds like a magnificent time was had by that audience fortunate enough to be at the Imperial last night for Michael's consummate performance, or as you put it "a most fitting way for Michael to leave his stamp on Broadway".

Don't eat too much fried chicken at your picnic today in the park ;)
BillyAddict
Tall Boy

Post by BillyAddict »

Tuesday 7th September

Billy - Peter
Michael - Neil

First week of the new roster with Tuesday night reinstated and Wednesday night dark.

My fourth Peter show, four out of four that Peter has so far performed. This young man impresses me so much. Bought a ticket a few hours before the show as everyone was expecting :mrgreen:

Peter did not disappoint. With time Peter will develop a few more timing skills but the total quality of what he is already producing is very impressive. He is a beautiful dancer with great speed. His acting is strong and will make him a great Billy to watch in the future. Certainly those in the audience near me whom I overheard comment were convinced Peter had been performing the role for a considerable time.

Gabe was listed on the board to perform as Michael but an announcement was made just prior to the movie rolling that the role of Michael would be played by Neil, so obviously a late change.

It surprises me that the crowds at the stage door are so much smaller than the numbers that were there in March! One would think balmy summer nights would lend themselves far more to stage door attendance than the chilly nights of March in NY!
167 Performances!

Lochie x 21.5; Nick x 11; Corey x 1; Rhys x 19; Rarmian x 17.75; Dayton x 24.75; Josh W-G x 18; Michael x 19; Josh D x 12; Daniel x 3; Tom x 1; Ollie G x 1; Fox x 1, Liam R x 2, Alex x 5, Cesar x 2, Tommy x 1, John Peter x 1, Peter x 4, Jacob x 2.
Scott x 30; Thomas x 28.25; Joel x 31; Landen x 33.75; Liam x 14; Jake x 1; Connor x 1; George x 1, Trevor x 4, Jake Evan x 3, Gabriel x 8, Keean x 2, Neil x 11.
Fiona x 18; Rosie x 25; Shannon x 23; Kelsi x 23; Prudence x 2; Lauren x 10; Cassandra x 15; Nina x 9; Isabelle x 12; Fleur x 2; Francesca x 1, Issy x 7, Maria x 4, Georgi x 17.
johnnyc
Mr Braithwaite

Post by johnnyc »

I've waited a bit to give my impressions of Mikey's final Broadway show because, well, I hadn't really recovered sufficiently from the emotion I felt at the time. I've seen many final shows, and some of those have been emotional, but no other such show has left me speechless. Why? Perhaps because Mikey's mom and dad are such wonderful people and have treated me as a friend. Perhaps it was the atmosphere inside the Imperial Theatre that evening, as we fans sensed that we were going to watch a performance where a Billy that always gave 125 percent was going to pull out all the stops and give at least 150 percent. Having a front row center seat right next to the conductor was a factor as well. The intimacy with the actors one feels sitting there is fantastic. And conductor David Chase right away struck up a conversation with me, as we mused about what might transpire during the performance.

Then, the show started, and we fans eagerly awaited Michael's appearance. Sadly, most of the audience were unaware that this would be such a special evening, since no announcement was made letting the audience know that it would be Michael Dameski's last Broadway performance. And what a performance. The focus and intensity Mikey displayed throughout the evening was evident from the start. He took total control of the stage and made every scene something special. I was glad he was aided and abetted by the wonderful Gabriel Rush, a Michael whose depiction of Billy's best friend has, in my opinion, only been equaled in the U.S. by David B. And a great time the boys had during Express. But then came The Letter. I have never witnessed such emotion being evident in all the actors on stage at that point. Mikey cried uncontrollably, and Kate, who got a bit choked up, was obviously exerting a great deal of control to keep from totally losing it herself. Even Stephanie Kurtzuba, as dead mum, was showing the strain, especially as she slowly backed up after hugging Mikey. I don't see how there could have been a dry eye in the house during this scene. Thank goodness B2B followed, to ease the emotions. I've never made a secret of the fact that I don't like the way this number is done these days. But everyone involved tried hard to make it special this time. Thommie Retter, as usual,brought down the house with his gymnastics. (I must have been applauding especially hard, for after the show, Thommie came up to me at the stage door and told me he appreciated my enthusiasm. :o ) There was only one minor slip up during the rope skipping, it was Mikey, but he went on with a shrug and laugh, so the audience hardly noticed.

Let's move forward to Angry Dance. I don't care for the American incarnation of this piece either, but Mikey's face became a mask of rage, as he screamed and danced with an intensity and precision that that left the audience stunned. Several of the fans voiced the opinion that this was the best angry dance they had ever witnessed, and I won't argue the point. A thunderous applause filled the theatre as Mikey brushed himself off and strode off the stage.

As Act 2 opened, we became aware that Mikey is growing up. His verse of Deep into the Ground has been reworked, not just lowered in key. But I think he delivered it beautifully. The Winter Scene was especially poignant, as it was the last time these two boys would have a scene together. I just wish Gabe wouldn't rush his "nutcracker" line. We were than treated to a fine Dream Sequence with prolonged applause at the conclusion. I'll skip ahead to the pièce de résistance , Electricity. This was the number we had all been waiting for. And Mikey did not disappoint. We were treated to a fantastic display of virtuoso dance and acrobatics. He also sang the piece beautifully, I think. No wonder the standing ovation started even before the end. And that ovation went on, and on. Perhaps not the longest on record, (I believe the longest was for George Maguire at his official leaving) but certainly impressive. And Mikey gave us his unique reaction of tears of joy and appreciation. And when he finally composed himself, but the applause and bravos continued, he broke down again. A very special moment in theatre.

Mikey's and Kate's goodbye scene was difficult for both actors, but they got through it, but not without a lot of effort. We all dreaded the Letter reprise. During We Were Kings, Mikey was gleefully beating poor Greg black and blue as he sat on dad's shoulders. (I got the idea from listening to Greg afterwards that this was pretty standard practice when Mikey played Billy.) But then as Billy stood alone on the stage, and dead mum appeared, the happiness disappeared. We could see from Mikey's opening "hello. mum" that he was going to have a tough time getting through this scene. And so he did. As he sang the Letter, Mikey dissolved into tears and his voice almost gave out. Stephanie almost lost it as well. The only other performance I know of where something like this happened was Oliver Taylor's last show in London, where the poor kid choked up after the first few words in each verse, and could not sing at all. I'm just glad I was not in a position to see Mikey's face as he left the stage. I suspect I would have cried too had I seen him up close then.

I was trying to convince myself that this couldn't really be the end, but then when Mikey left the stage and called out "see ya Gabe," I realized it really was the last time I probably would see this gifted youngster on a stage. And the realization was reinforced when at the last curtain call, the small boy ran onto the stage bearing a bouquet of yellow flowers for Mikey. Then, when the curtain closed, and we were leaving the theatre, the strains of "Happy Trails" being sung by the cast could be heard from the stage. This was, indeed, the end.

At the stage door, Mikey's dad showed me the flower bouquet - it was yellow roses. And to polish off my evening, Greg Jbara walked up to me and said, "John," I saw you in the audience. Tell me something. When everyone else was clapping, why were you booing?" I suppose the expression on my face was priceless - before I realized Greg had pulled one on me. :shock: An obviously tired Mikey generously gave of his time after the show, signing programs and posing with fans for photos. There were two other Billys there, Jacob, who was backup, and Dayton, who two days later would get his own standing ovation from The First Lady. The three Billys posed for many photos together, and some of those will, hopefully, make their way to the forum. And this concluded my visit to NYC. I'm sure going home with wonderful memories, though.
mrmikerocks
Miner

Post by mrmikerocks »

johnnyc wrote:I've waited a bit to give my impressions of Mikey's final Broadway show because, well, I hadn't really recovered sufficiently from the emotion I felt at the time. I've seen many final shows, and some of those have been emotional, but no other such show has left me speechless. Why? Perhaps because Mikey's mom and dad are such wonderful people and have treated me as a friend. Perhaps it was the atmosphere inside the Imperial Theatre that evening, as we fans sensed that we were going to watch a performance where a Billy that always gave 125 percent was going to pull out all the stops and give at least 150 percent. Having a front row center seat right next to the conductor was a factor as well. The intimacy with the actors one feels sitting there is fantastic. And conductor David Chase right away struck up a conversation with me, as we mused about what might transpire during the performance.

Then, the show started, and we fans eagerly awaited Michael's appearance. Sadly, most of the audience were unaware that this would be such a special evening, since no announcement was made letting the audience know that it would be Michael Dameski's last Broadway performance. And what a performance. The focus and intensity Mikey displayed throughout the evening was evident from the start. He took total control of the stage and made every scene something special. I was glad he was aided and abetted by the wonderful Gabriel Rush, a Michael whose depiction of Billy's best friend has, in my opinion, only been equaled in the U.S. by David B. And a great time the boys had during Express. But then came The Letter. I have never witnessed such emotion being evident in all the actors on stage at that point. Mikey cried uncontrollably, and Kate, who got a bit choked up, was obviously exerting a great deal of control to keep from totally losing it herself. Even Stephanie Kurtzuba, as dead mum, was showing the strain, especially as she slowly backed up after hugging Mikey. I don't see how there could have been a dry eye in the house during this scene. Thank goodness B2B followed, to ease the emotions. I've never made a secret of the fact that I don't like the way this number is done these days. But everyone involved tried hard to make it special this time. Thommie Retter, as usual,brought down the house with his gymnastics. (I must have been applauding especially hard, for after the show, Thommie came up to me at the stage door and told me he appreciated my enthusiasm. :o ) There was only one minor slip up during the rope skipping, it was Mikey, but he went on with a shrug and laugh, so the audience hardly noticed.

Let's move forward to Angry Dance. I don't care for the American incarnation of this piece either, but Mikey's face became a mask of rage, as he screamed and danced with an intensity and precision that that left the audience stunned. Several of the fans voiced the opinion that this was the best angry dance they had ever witnessed, and I won't argue the point. A thunderous applause filled the theatre as Mikey brushed himself off and strode off the stage.

As Act 2 opened, we became aware that Mikey is growing up. His verse of Deep into the Ground has been reworked, not just lowered in key. But I think he delivered it beautifully. The Winter Scene was especially poignant, as it was the last time these two boys would have a scene together. I just wish Gabe wouldn't rush his "nutcracker" line. We were than treated to a fine Dream Sequence with prolonged applause at the conclusion. I'll skip ahead to the pièce de résistance , Electricity. This was the number we had all been waiting for. And Mikey did not disappoint. We were treated to a fantastic display of virtuoso dance and acrobatics. He also sang the piece beautifully, I think. No wonder the standing ovation started even before the end. And that ovation went on, and on. Perhaps not the longest on record, (I believe the longest was for George Maguire at his official leaving) but certainly impressive. And Mikey gave us his unique reaction of tears of joy and appreciation. And when he finally composed himself, but the applause and bravos continued, he broke down again. A very special moment in theatre.

Mikey's and Kate's goodbye scene was difficult for both actors, but they got through it, but not without a lot of effort. I was trying to convince myself that this couldn't really be the end, but then when Mikey left the stage and called out "bye Gabe," I realized it really was the last time I probably would see this gifted youngster on a stage. And the realization was reinforced when at the last curtain call, the small boy ran onto the stage bearing a bouquet of yellow flowers for Mikey. Then, when the curtain closed, and we were leaving the theatre, the strains of "Happy Trails" being sung by the cast could be heard from the stage. This was, indeed, the end.

At the stage door, Mikey's dad showed me the flower bouquet - it was yellow roses. And to polish off my evening, Greg Jbara walked up to me and said, "John," I saw you in the audience. Tell me something. When everyone else was clapping, why were you booing?" I suppose the expression on my face was priceless - before I realized Greg had pulled one on me. :shock: An obviously tired Mikey generously gave of his time after the show, signing programs and posing with fans for photos. There were two other Billys there, Jacob, who was backup, and Dayton, who two days later would get his own standing ovation from The First Lady. The three Billys posed for many photos together, and some of those will, hopefully, make their way to the forum. And this concluded my visit to NYC. I'm sure going home with wonderful memories, though.
What a class act.
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

Thanks for the reviews everybody.

Sounds like you had a great time in NY John.
Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.
Hesychius
Tall Boy

Post by Hesychius »

Thank you so much for the wonderful review, John!
Your detailed description brought back all the memories of this fantasstic night to me - and some tears to my eyes...
Thanks again, Stefan.
London: Fox - 6; Tom - 4.5; Dean - 10; Ollie - 7.5; Rhys - 7; Aaron - 3; Scott - 1
New York: Jacob - 3; Dayton - 1; Michael - 2; Liam - 1; Peter - 1; Alex - 1
Charlotte: Daniel - 1; Michael - 1

50 inspiring shows
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

John, as always, a wonderfully composed review. However, this one is especially poignant and very descriptive and detailed of Michael D's final show on Broadway. He'll surely go down as one of the best ever Billys to have graced the Imperial Theatre stage.

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts.

Yes, and added to Dayton's triumph at the White House a couple of days later, the Aussies sure put on a show for America this week! You have your work cut out for you, Daniel Russell, to top these two :lol: No pressure though. :)
BillyAddict
Tall Boy

Post by BillyAddict »

Wonderful review John. You write and express the emotions of that night so well. Thank you!
167 Performances!

Lochie x 21.5; Nick x 11; Corey x 1; Rhys x 19; Rarmian x 17.75; Dayton x 24.75; Josh W-G x 18; Michael x 19; Josh D x 12; Daniel x 3; Tom x 1; Ollie G x 1; Fox x 1, Liam R x 2, Alex x 5, Cesar x 2, Tommy x 1, John Peter x 1, Peter x 4, Jacob x 2.
Scott x 30; Thomas x 28.25; Joel x 31; Landen x 33.75; Liam x 14; Jake x 1; Connor x 1; George x 1, Trevor x 4, Jake Evan x 3, Gabriel x 8, Keean x 2, Neil x 11.
Fiona x 18; Rosie x 25; Shannon x 23; Kelsi x 23; Prudence x 2; Lauren x 10; Cassandra x 15; Nina x 9; Isabelle x 12; Fleur x 2; Francesca x 1, Issy x 7, Maria x 4, Georgi x 17.
johnnyc
Mr Braithwaite

Post by johnnyc »

I don't write many reviews, so thanks for the kind words, guys.

I just realized that I forgot to include a scene that was really gut-wrenching, so I'm editing my original post to include the following. Now, please don't get the idea from all this that Mikey's last show was depressing. It was, if anything, inspired. But we all dreaded the Letter reprise. During We Were Kings, Mikey was gleefully beating poor Greg black and blue as he sat on dad's shoulders. (I got the idea from listening to Greg afterwards that this was pretty standard practice when Mikey played Billy.) But then as Billy stood alone on the stage, and dead mum appeared, the happiness disappeared. We could see from Mikey's opening "hello. mum" that he was going to have a tough time getting through this scene. And so he did. As he sang the Letter, Mikey dissolved into tears and his voice almost gave out. Stephanie almost lost it as well. The only other performance I know of where something like this happened was Oliver Taylor's last show in London, where the poor kid choked up after the first few words in each verse, and could not sing at all. I'm just glad I was not in a position to see Mikey's face as he left the stage. I suspect I would have cried too had I seen him up close then.
Todd
Dad

Post by Todd »

Very nicely written and emotional review. Wish I could have been there to honor Michael on his final show there. He's certainly left his mark on Broadway . . . with more of the U.S. yet to conquer !

As sad as it was to hear about his emotional goodbye at his last New York show, we should be thankful that his days as Billy are not yet over. If you haven't yet seen Michael perform as Billy, I would strongly recommend trying to see him on one of his stops on the National tour coming up.

Return to “Reviews - Broadway”