Site Admin
Site Admin

October 2010 Reviews - NYC

Post by ERinVA »

Here's a thread for October reviews. :D
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
CJ-Rochester
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Re: October 2010 Reviews - New York

Post by CJ-Rochester »

I guess the workshop must have worn everyone out, as there have been no reviews posted yet. According to the BETMNY twitter page Alex did the second half of Friday night's performance, taking over from Peter. Anyone know what happened?
:/
angelenroute
Billy

Post by angelenroute »

CJ-Rochester wrote:I guess the workshop must have worn everyone out, as there have been no reviews posted yet. According to the BETMNY twitter page Alex did the second half of Friday night's performance, taking over from Peter. Anyone know what happened?
I was at the show Thursday and Friday night (and the workshop) so I'll be posting a review or reviews soon. Going to start now but don't want to rush too much. In the past month or so I've heard from a few different people, fans, cast members and family of cast members that they do indeed read the reviews from us. I always put a lot of effort into making them a helpful and nice read, but the reminder of who's reading gives me pause to say a bit more than I might usually. We'll see what I come up with haha.

To answer Chris's question, for anyone who didn't already hear elsewhere, Peter performed the first half brilliantly. I loved him!!! But at the start of the second half, Joel Hatch, just before doing his bit, said something like (paraphrasing, not quoting), "Ladies and gentlemen," --we all knew this was different and so our ears perked up-- "Peter Mazurowski has a bit of a bug (I forget what exactly he said) ...the brilliant [may have said wonderful or another adjective] Alex Ko will be playing Billy..." That's when I looked over and saw that indeed Alex Ko had come up on stage instead of Peter and staying in the role, did give Joel a brief, sweet smile. I was 1) disappointed to not see more of the brilliant Peter who I hadn't seen yet but 2) excited to be seeing Alex again who I knew was awesome. I was also happy that the 2 or 3 BEeps who told me they hadn't seen Alex yet and would be missing him because they weren't going to the Saturday matinee would indeed get their chance. =)

As Dave said in the Friends Of Billy forum, Peter was feeling better and present at stage door, where he smiled a lot and was very grateful for all the compliments we sent his way. He also posed for photos.

Okay, going to start writing reviews now, hope they don't take me all week haha.

Sean

"Good writers define reality; bad ones merely restate it." -Edward Albee
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

angelenroute wrote:Okay, going to start writing reviews now, hope they don't take me all week haha.
Can't wait, Sean. I always look forward to your wonderful reviews :)
xpress
Small Boy

Post by xpress »

Really? Wow, that's so incredible to hear :D Just out of curiosity, do you know if there are there any Billys that read the forum?
"I know that he's looking out for me and I know he's in heaven. I thought about him right before I performed for the very first time on October 6th and I know he had the best seat in the house." -Alex Ko
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

Yes, there are some who read the forum from time to time, and their parents do as well.
Ellen

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
angelenroute
Billy

Post by angelenroute »

Thursday, October 7, 2010

Billy: Dayton Tavares
Michael: Gabriel Rush

I was at work on Long Island Thursday morning when I got a message offering me a free ticket to the show that night. Having just recently returned from a too-expensive trip to California and still behind on bills, I was not going to say no to this most generous offer--and I remain very grateful!

I got into the city at about 7:02 PM, met up with some BEeps to collect my ticket outside the theatre at 7:16 PM and in we went. It was a most B9 gift, so I began crossing over to the left side to be seated. A female usher snapped at a woman walking in front of me, “Excuse me, but you have to turn off that phone inside the theatre!” “That’s what I’m trying to do! Geez.” I realized the usher was a good real-life version of clipboard lady. And here I thought the show hadn‘t started yet. :D

The cast has seen a whole bunch of changes recently, but I was delighted to see most of them are seamless and the roles are consistent as we multi-viewers hope for. One notable standout is Big Davey played by Brad Nacht. It’s a unique role because it can either blend in or stand out, and he makes it stand out in a great way. My Playbill tells me this is Brad’s Broadway debut, which is long overdue for this new star! He plays Big Davey with all of the right comic timing and dramatic effect needed in different scenes and really makes it the powerful role it should be. When everyone runs out of the kitchen, he takes charge of the stage immediately, encouraging them out the door with a fantastic look on his face like a cat who’s about to pounce on a mouse. He makes an awesome one-handed swipe at the flying toast at both performances I saw Thursday and Friday and on Thursday I laughed loudly as so much salt could be seen “snowing” from his sandwich as he ate it. :D Great job Brad all around!

This was also the first time I would be seeing the new Mrs. Wilkinson, Emily Skinner. Reviews from Chicago and her Broadway “name” left me no worries at all. Unfortunately, I was left disappointed in some ways. I will remain constructive in my criticism though, because maybe, just maybe, I can be helpful. First, the show works great no matter what and the audience laughed and clapped as usual, although there are a couple of issues that I believe do need work. The biggest for me was her accent. It bothers me when I hear Merle Louise as Grandma speaking in a Brooklyn accent and it bothered me Thursday and Friday to hear Emily using a Russian accent on various words and phrases. The one that jarred with my ears the most was what she sometimes called her amazing young student. His name is Billy, not Bwilly. I don’t know how her accent wasn’t already fixed in Chicago, if acting direction just isn’t worried about as much as singing and dancing, but it’s such a small thing that could help so much. She’s also a bit too mean and superior a Mrs. Wilkinson for my tastes. It can be argued that by the end of Act 1 she has a breakthrough of sorts in that you figure even though she’s acting this way, she does at least care very much about Billy’s well-being.

Haydn had superiority about her too but it was a confident and not an angry superiority that you enjoyed because you saw the tenderness in her too. And Kate was very emotional and not superior at all, always just an every-woman that you related to. I’m not exactly sure what needs to be tweaked, but maybe if she just doesn’t take her or her character too seriously, everything will feel more fun. I remember not liking Kate too much after seeing her for the first time too but in time I LOVED Kate. When I saw Emily the next day, I was more used to her style and not as affected by it, but I do hope she softens it up a bit more. It would get her much more applause and love from the audience if she were more tender and sweet with all of her on-stage cast mates.

The ballet girls are all marvelous and I love every last one of them. They give so much life to the show and their smiles light up even the grumpiest of theatergoers. For kids with so few lines and singing notes overall, their impact is huge to the show and I hope they know it. Tessa Netting is still out nursing a back injury and though she’s very much missed by all of us, her replacement [please help?] is doing a great job of playing both Susan Parks and Tessa Netting herself (she really does portray Tessa Netting AS Susan Parks, not just Susan Parks, which I think is totally awesome!].

Georgi James has grown a lot since she first started as Debbie, which isn’t to say at all that she was ever bad, because she wasn’t, or that she’s gotten taller, because if she has I haven’t noticed it. But she has grown and improved continually every time I see her, so good for her! Great job on going from great to really great Georgi! :D More on Georgi in my review of Friday’s show. My only comment on her role isn’t about her at all but about the show’s direction/script. When Debbie calls, “Maaam…Mam!” from backstage, it really would be much better as “Maaam… Maaaaam… Mam!” The comic rule of three is a rule for a reason: It works better every time! It would add 5 seconds but would be much better.

Laura Marie Duncan as Dead Mum was great, very level and sweet portrayal and I enjoyed her very much!

Joel Hatch is as dependable as dependable gets as George. You just know he’ll be perfect every time and he is. Joel, you deserve even bigger roles, but I hope you’ll stay a bit longer because we all love you!!!

Will Chase is an incredibly talented actor and I love him, but seeing him again in the role just reminds me of feelings I’ve had in the past. We need a younger Tony. The disconnect between the 13-year-olds playing Billy and the 40-year-old Chase is just too much. He would be a great “Dad” if Greg eventually moves to the hoped-for California productions (not hoped for that Greg should leave, hoped for that he is able to play the role in his home state). I am sure though that Will wants young roles still which he absolutely CAN play, I just think Tony should be an 18-23 year-old and there are plenty of actors out there in this age group who would love a shot at the role. Former Billys maybe! Anyway, again, I love Will Chase and he is awesome! I just think we should make a transition next to a younger actor for the role.

Gabriel Rush as Michael. Adorable little kid who has a very funny stage presence. As others have mentioned, he just needs to work on that nutcracker line. It’s one of the biggest laughs in the show and deserves whatever time he needs to compose himself after the fall to deliver. I know he can do it and will, it’s just a matter of time. Overall though he’s brilliant and fun and we all loved him!

I’ve come this far without mentioning that brilliant shining star, the wonderful Dayton Tavares. Shame on me for waiting so long! Dayton wowed me when I saw him in June and he wowed me again Thursday night. There’s something extra, extra special about him that transcends just the fact that he’s the star of a Broadway show. Dayton has a maturity and a kindness in him that just glows from within even while he’s on stage as Billy. He is exacting in his movements much like Trent was, taking his time and in the moment every scene, and that face--you can’t take your eyes off of him because he’s got so many facial expressions in every scene that just make for a deeper enjoyment of his character. I told a few people this past week that when I watch the show, I do so from an acting standpoint and not a singer’s or a dancer’s view. Although I can sing okay, I definitely can’t dance well, and my affection for the craft of acting is my forte and my love. And much like Trent again, Dayton’s acting is superb. He becomes the character and he is very, very comfortable on stage. I think he’s just awesome!

At stage door, his mother told me that he was feeling under the weather that night, and I couldn’t believe it. I really had no idea he was sick in any way! If he was, he soldiered through extremely well. And I loved that when I gave him a standing ovation at Electricity, one of only a few he must have gotten because I didn’t see any out of my peripheral vision from B9, he looked over at me with a very happy, very grateful look. I didn’t stand so he’d see me; I stood because damn it he deserved it! But I must admit it made ME feel very good to be acknowledged in return.

I asked him for his autograph on my Playbill and he told me he’d never seen a purple Sharpie marker before. He was quite impressed with it so I told him he could keep it if he wanted, but he thanked me and said no. =) He is very charming and sweet in person and a delight to interact with. When he got home that night, he posted on Facebook, “My mum is a supermum”. What a sweet young man. His parents have done a great job there!

Back to the show for a few more notes… At Intermission, I was sort of stuck away from the other superfans, and couldn’t really get over easily without annoying the people blocking my way, or walking all the way around, so I decided to just hang out there. It’s always fun for me to interact with first-time audience members before the show and in the Intermission whenever I can. I don’t work for the show, so I’m an objective cheerleader in the seats and can drum up even more excitement by talking with people about the show. On this evening, the people closest to me who seemed like fun people to chat with were an older couple in their sixties two rows behind me. They were standing at their seats and each vigorously reading their Playbills with smiley whispers to each other. I waited for my moment. Then I heard my opening. “Blah blah blah piano player? Blah blah blah.”

“Thommie Retter is the piano player, Mr. Braithwaite.” “He was great!” they both told me for the next few seconds. “I didn’t expect all those dance moves from him at all, wow!” “Yeah, Thommie’s amazing. He’s a master dance teacher and was discovered at Debbie Reynolds dance studio, I think that’s in your Playbill. Actually, I have a dance class with him tomorrow night. He’s giving a private dance class for a bunch of us fans of the show.” They smiled and were intrigued by my words, asking if I’d seen the show before. Since repetition can be a friend, I gave them my proud but self-demeaning response: “Tonight is my 20th time and I’m seeing the show again tomorrow.” They gave me a delighted wow-like response and the usual heads turned in our area as I followed up with the self-demeaning part. “But I’m down here [put my hand out horizontally by my shin] compared to some people I know. There are people I know who have seen the show over a hundred times.”

I love telling people this, but at the same time, I really have to stop putting myself down. If I could afford to see the show over 200 times I would, but I can barely do what I do now. So I rest easy knowing I’m no less of a fan and supporter of the show because I’ve seen it less than others have. At any rate, the couple were extra sweet and friendly and kept asking me about cast members and the show itself, mostly Thommie Retter who they were gushing about. We talked about how funny Thommie is with his facial expressions, especially after removing one of his shirts. And that leg up on the piano--wow! Gets me every time! Amazing!

Once the second act began and Dream Ballet arrived, I remembered the fog. As it started rolling my way, I hoped the patrons around me would be polite and not over-exaggerate their dismay as the fog coasted through our rows. It’s not that much, after all, and they shouldn’t mind it. Only issue: It WAS too much. I’m not sure what’s happening, but the fog was definitely a little more than it usually is and there were times I couldn’t see Dayton or Stephen at all! From my seat on the far right side the following night, I looked over at those same seats in Left Orchestra and watched the people completely disappear. I thought I was in some kind of Billy Elliot Left Behind alternate reality. I love all the foggy smoke when I’m further back though; it really looks great. Maybe if those front-of-stage lights were flipped up like they are in other points in the show, they’d create a natural barrier to make the fog curve up a bit and diffuse, much like the speakers help do on the right side of the theatre.

There is one other cast member I have to congratulate on a great job: Drew McVety. Who? He’s the current Posh Dad/Scab, and he’s just great. I have enjoyed everyone’s take on the Posh Dad role, but Drew just has a permanent, funny smile plastered on his face that just makes you giggle. He also does this really great bit when he’s trying to figure out what Greg has said to him (Itsahfirsttimelikeyanah) where he keeps his mouth open with that big smile and just blinks and twitches his mouth a lot. Works great and gets a lot of laughs!

After the show, as I was gathering my things, I looked up and saw the couple I had spoken to at Intermission waving at me. The man called out with words I could have lip synced in unison with him, “Now I know why you keep coming back!” I beamed back at them and gave them a “Come again!” I have a good feeling they will come back again and that they’ll tell everyone they know how much they loved it!

Sean/angelenroute/purple sharpie guy :D

ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

Great review, Sean. :D Thanks.

About Emily: I felt her accent had a bit of an Irish tinge when I saw her in Chicago. But then I always heard a bit of that in Haydn's accent too. I understand that some folks thought Emily overacted when they saw her last week. I believe that she is adjusting from playing to a HUGE house in Chicago to a more intimate one in NY. I remember complaints about the sound system at the Oriental when the show first started there, and I remember more than one actor from that show talking about how they had to over-exaggerate everything they said to make the lines intelligible to the audience. By the time I saw the show in Chicago in June, everything was intelligible, but I could tell that it took a bit of effort to make it so. I noticed, for example,that both Mrs. W. and Billy had been directed to "cheat out" to the audience in the confrontation scene leading up to Angry Dance. Of course, that isn't necessary in the Imperial, but I'm sure the difference takes some getting used to. Interestingly, a couple of days later, the same folks who thought Emily had been overdoing it said that she had toned down a lot and was much more believable and sympathetic. I am sure she is going to settle in nicely, and by the time I get to see her again, I will be impressed with how she has adapted to the differences between the productions.
Ellen

angelenroute
Billy

Post by angelenroute »

ERinVA wrote:Great review, Sean. :D Thanks.

About Emily: ...I am sure she is going to settle in nicely, and by the time I get to see her again, I will be impressed with how she has adapted to the differences between the productions.
Thanks Ellen. I'm sure you're right and I look forward to it.

Sean

Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

Thanks for the great review Sean. Very detailed as usual - and appreciated by us all.

I was as the show on Tuesday night and I have to agree about Gabriel. He said the "Nutcracker" line so fast that it was lost. I could hear people around me muttering "what did he say?" which is a pity as it is one of the best lines in the show.
Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.

Return to “Reviews - Broadway”